Help me pick a new boar(s)

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
So I’m in the market for a new DD-type shortboard. I’m in NY and I do 80% off my surfing in waist high to a bit overhead punchy beachbreak and I’d like to have just one board to cover this range. I have been using a pyzel shadow and pyzel gremlin, switching at about the shoulder-high mark, but they do surf differently and I’d like to have to think less about my boar and just have one go-to for anything vaguely rippable.

Also considering ordering a second board at the same time. 1-2” longer and a bit narrower with a round tail, as a hpsb/mini-stahp/good wave board. We don’t really get “good” waves here very often so this board is ideally also user-friendly and can handle slightly challenging/weird conditions. I’m not even sure how much I need this but it feels weird to have nothing between a DD and my R. blackbird. Right now a ghost occupies this slot but I wouldn’t mind a refresh as it's fun to try new things.

Me: I’m 5’10 160# 33yo. Been surfing (off and on) my whole life and know what I’m doing on a shortboard, but in no danger of going pro. By NY standards I’m pretty good but I’d hesitate to call myself “advanced” around a group of hawaiian locals, if that makes sense. Still, I’m mostly looking for a pointy thruster around my height (5’9-5’10) and ~27L. Not looking for a twin (sorry!!) or anything really stubby.

Considering some options I could get through XTR:

Pyzel: Pyzalien 2 + Ghost (swallow?). P2 looks like a great board for my needs and I already know the ghost works well when it turns on here. A swallow might give it a bit more bottom end range so I end up reaching for it more. Got no problem continuing to support Pyzel but I’ve had a bunch of their boards so it would be cool to try another shaper.

Sharpeye: I72 + ?. The range of the I72 is what really got me thinking about this, and I’m not opposed to ordering another in custom dims despite my QC issues with the board I have. I don’t know what the second board would be though, the #77/#77+ seem like boards for better surfers than me in waves I don’t get to surf. Don’t know much about their other sb models but they seem very pro-level oriented.

CI: (two) happy (everyday) + ?. The happy everyday looks interesting but stock dims are pretty stubby, not sure how it would go closer to normal shortboard dims. I’m still not clear on whether the 2H is a DD or an HPSB lol. They were calling it a groveller and then released a step-down from it a year later…

A couple of wildcards:

Arakawa: Prophet/Scream + rt amplifier. I’ve almost bought a scream a couple of times, seems perfect for board #1. Available in XTR but pretty pricey for that or even E-poly + additional shipping costs (and carbon considerations) coming from HI make this kind of a low-value/$ option.

Stamps: Grinder? + Scarecrow rt?. I guess I’d look like an SD transplant and the waves I surf are pretty different from SoCal... but I’ve seen enough positive comments on Stamps from you SD people that I’d be willing to give him a try. Bonus that varial is an option though not clear what the pricing looks like. Grinder-type models and the scarecrow have caught my eye.

Fully open to other options!! Throw out some ideas!

:cheers: cheers if you read all of my rambling I swear I tried to keep it short :roflmao:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
since you're on the east coast, what about AJW or Rozbern?

Rozbern- GTB + Hound

AJW- Acid Cat + Potato Launcher

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Based on recent posts from @Maz and your success with other Pyzel's it seems like the P2 could be a great fit. But my first thought was definitely going the custom route with Stamps. I am guessing the stock GX would be a little too low rocker for what you're looking for but I'm sure he could help you figure out tweaks to make it work. Tim's customer service is top notch and his prices are reasonable.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Based on recent posts from @Maz and your success with other Pyzel's it seems like the P2 could be a great fit. But my first thought was definitely going the custom route with Stamps. I am guessing the stock GX would be a little too low rocker for what you're looking for but I'm sure he could help you figure out tweaks to make it work. Tim's customer service is top notch and his prices are reasonable.
Mate, with Tim Stamps right there, I'd go and see him too.

Reactions: MathDebater

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Stretch: 2x4 5 fin box and 2x4 step up:shrug: If you travel you would be set as well.
Quad is not your thing:
jimmy I love that we can always count on you to reply to every board advice thread with the relevant Stretch options :)

Stretch would be a reach for me budget-wise at >950 for white CFT plus I dont think I could order from him without getting his wife to do a beautiful custom airbrush or tint!! I used to drool hard over those boards whenever I was in SC though.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
I vote P2 or a Gigglebox. I just grabbed a 6'1 P2 since I found one in stock and didn't want to wait. Only a couple surfs here in NY in less than stellar conditions but i'm digging it way more then my Subdriver 2. Also wanted a board that'll cover a broad spectrum of conditions. 6'3x185 for reference.
1649271928321.png

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
since you're on the east coast, what about AJW or Rozbern?

Rozbern- GTB + Hound

AJW- Acid Cat + Potato Launcher
I've thought about Rozbern a lot actually and it's definitely an option on my radar. The hound looks like the perfect NJ barrel board but feels like it would be limited elsewhere. Not familiar with AJW really but of course I have seen the logo around.

I think part of the reason I've shortlisted what I have is construction. I like my XTRs a lot and it's sooo nice when traveling to be less concerned about dings. I am a big fan of epoxy resin as well for lots of reasons but especially bc its so much easier to work with as a home ding-repairer. I'm also varial-curious so if I'm going to splurge it would probably be for that construction.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Rozbern ,but which one ?so many models to choose from that all look good.Always good to go with someone familiar with your local spots

Reactions: rowjimmytour

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I've thought about Rozbern a lot actually and it's definitely an option on my radar. The hound looks like the perfect NJ barrel board but feels like it would be limited elsewhere. Not familiar with AJW really but of course I have seen the logo around.

I think part of the reason I've shortlisted what I have is construction. I like my XTRs a lot and it's sooo nice when traveling to be less concerned about dings. I am a big fan of epoxy resin as well for lots of reasons but especially bc its so much easier to work with as a home ding-repairer. I'm also varial-curious so if I'm going to splurge it would probably be for that construction.
Yeah, if you’re thinking ease of accessibility with ordering and XTR option, Pyzel is a no brainer. You could even go with a P2 + roundtail Mini Ghost if you want something that has more lower range. I think Jon said on here that the Mini Ghost has the same rocker as the reg Ghost.

Rozbern’s boards have always looked and felt rad to me and he’s a truly local shaper to your area. I picked up a Jibber (groveler) from him at the Boardroom show a few years ago and was very happy with the quality of the glassing and shape

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I appreciate wanting to try new shapers, but if you want easy transition I don’t think you could go wrong with MiniGhost and/or P2. They’re both probably different enough from the ones you have and like.
I liked the idea of your Pyzel mini quiver from the other thread that I’ve cobbled together my own: gremlin-phantom-ghost.

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
Stretch: 2x4 5 fin box and 2x4 step up:shrug: If you travel you would be set as well.
Quad is not your thing:
This. This. This. I'd 1000% go stretch over varial. Especially in the NE.

Hard offshore wind- never had an issue with cft
NE can get heavy. I'd want a stringer.
CFT is strong as hell and will last years. Buy nice or buy twice.
Also in your case if your wanting a single Swiss army knife, then why would you want to buy a board, it get beat up, then want to replicate it---which is near impossible.

2x4 seems to be one of the most popular designs for anything with some juice.
Rail channels feel amazing too. Clear CFT 2x4 with the seaweed logo :jamon:

Also easy to sell if you don't like

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I appreciate wanting to try new shapers, but if you want easy transition I don’t think you could go wrong with MiniGhost and/or P2.
Uh I'm sorry I thought this was a safe space!!

Joking aside the gremlin-phantom/shadow-ghost mini quiver is great I just feel like I'd surf a little better if I wasn't switching my boards so much. I also went +2L on my gremlin order (groveler==more foam) and the more I've ridden my smaller boards in smaller waves the more I've started to feel like that extra foam and width especially is getting in the way a bit and I don't struggle at all to catch small waves on my smaller boards.

The mini ghost... honestly I don't quite get it. I don't personally want a DD that short. I'm sure it works for the people that want that though.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019

Also in your case if your wanting a single Swiss army knife, then why would you want to buy a board, it get beat up, then want to replicate it---which is near impossible.

Yeah... spot on about the wind. That gremlin (XTR PC 8.C) is so light I've had the wind pick it up off the water lol. I ordered the shadow glassed heavier (8.O) and that seemed to solve the issue. I figured if I did go Varial for board 2 I'd get it glassed heavier, but would be an expensive mistake if it couldn't handle some challenging conditions.

How does CFT feel compared to other EPS/epoxy layups? I've never been a huge EPS fan

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Uh I'm sorry I thought this was a safe space!!

Joking aside the gremlin-phantom/shadow-ghost mini quiver is great I just feel like I'd surf a little better if I wasn't switching my boards so much. I also went +2L on my gremlin order (groveler==more foam) and the more I've ridden my smaller boards in smaller waves the more I've started to feel like that extra foam and width especially is getting in the way a bit and I don't struggle at all to catch small waves on my smaller boards.

The mini ghost... honestly I don't quite get it. I don't personally want a DD that short. I'm sure it works for the people that want that though.
I hear ya. I rode a MG and it’s just damn fun. Overlaps with the others for sure, but a different feel.
As for sizing, I guess it depends. For me, MG and phantom end up around the same… 6’0-6’1, which is my height.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
So I’m in the market for a new DD-type shortboard. I’m in NY and I do 80% off my surfing in waist high to a bit overhead punchy beachbreak and I’d like to have just one board to cover this range. I have been using a pyzel shadow and pyzel gremlin, switching at about the shoulder-high mark, but they do surf differently and I’d like to have to think less about my boar and just have one go-to for anything vaguely rippable.

Also considering ordering a second board at the same time. 1-2” longer and a bit narrower with a round tail, as a hpsb/mini-stahp/good wave board. We don’t really get “good” waves here very often so this board is ideally also user-friendly and can handle slightly challenging/weird conditions. I’m not even sure how much I need this but it feels weird to have nothing between a DD and my R. blackbird. Right now a ghost occupies this slot but I wouldn’t mind a refresh as it's fun to try new things.

Me: I’m 5’10 160# 33yo. Been surfing (off and on) my whole life and know what I’m doing on a shortboard, but in no danger of going pro. By NY standards I’m pretty good but I’d hesitate to call myself “advanced” around a group of hawaiian locals, if that makes sense. Still, I’m mostly looking for a pointy thruster around my height (5’9-5’10) and ~27L. Not looking for a twin (sorry!!) or anything really stubby.

Considering some options I could get through XTR:

Pyzel: Pyzalien 2 + Ghost (swallow?). P2 looks like a great board for my needs and I already know the ghost works well when it turns on here. A swallow might give it a bit more bottom end range so I end up reaching for it more. Got no problem continuing to support Pyzel but I’ve had a bunch of their boards so it would be cool to try another shaper.

Sharpeye: I72 + ?. The range of the I72 is what really got me thinking about this, and I’m not opposed to ordering another in custom dims despite my QC issues with the board I have. I don’t know what the second board would be though, the #77/#77+ seem like boards for better surfers than me in waves I don’t get to surf. Don’t know much about their other sb models but they seem very pro-level oriented.

CI: (two) happy (everyday) + ?. The happy everyday looks interesting but stock dims are pretty stubby, not sure how it would go closer to normal shortboard dims. I’m still not clear on whether the 2H is a DD or an HPSB lol. They were calling it a groveller and then released a step-down from it a year later…

A couple of wildcards:

Arakawa: Prophet/Scream + rt amplifier. I’ve almost bought a scream a couple of times, seems perfect for board #1. Available in XTR but pretty pricey for that or even E-poly + additional shipping costs (and carbon considerations) coming from HI make this kind of a low-value/$ option.

Stamps: Grinder? + Scarecrow rt?. I guess I’d look like an SD transplant and the waves I surf are pretty different from SoCal... but I’ve seen enough positive comments on Stamps from you SD people that I’d be willing to give him a try. Bonus that varial is an option though not clear what the pricing looks like. Grinder-type models and the scarecrow have caught my eye.

Fully open to other options!! Throw out some ideas!

:cheers: cheers if you read all of my rambling I swear I tried to keep it short :roflmao:
HI. First off, thanks for supporting us with your current quiver choices!
As for your dilemma, I will just say that the P2 is a great boards that has quite a different feel to it then all ot the boards in the Ghost "Family", so you can get a fresh feel without straying too far.
If you want to branch out that's cool too, and I know you can get a good board from any of the shapers that you have listed above...

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I hear ya. I rode a MG and it’s just damn fun. Overlaps with the others for sure, but a different feel.
As for sizing, I guess it depends. For me, MG and phantom end up around the same… 6’0-6’1, which is my height.
Yeah I can totally believe it's a fun board! Based on stock dims to get in my volume range I'd be looking at a 5'5-6" MG which is crazy short vs a 5'9" P2 (or for comparison a 5'8" Phantom).

HI. First off, thanks for supporting us with your current quiver choices!
As for your dilemma, I will just say that the P2 is a great boards that has quite a different feel to it then all ot the boards in the Ghost "Family", so you can get a fresh feel without straying too far.
If you want to branch out that's cool too, and I know you can get a good board from any of the shapers that you have listed above...
Jon I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to this thread :shaka:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Also easy to sell if you don't like
CFT medium is bullet proof:cheers: