Help Gluing A Blank Together

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
Hello! I recently got my hands on an eps blank but it's currently split in half (vertically) and doesn't have a stringer. I'm not really wanting to glue a stringer in there, because it looks like a pain in the ass to do, so I was wondering if it'll still work if I just glue the two halves together, with no stringer?

I've surfed stringerless epoxy and xtr boards in the past and never had issues with em. Would the flex be similar to these boards? Would it make the blank more susceptible to damage? Also, if I did decide to glue it together, would Gorilla Glue work? Wood glue?

Thank you in advance!

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
If you just glued the blank together and did a glass fibre only job on it, it would be too flexible without a stringer. You need to add some carbon strips.Maybe, make at least one of the layers s-glass (stiffer than the regular e-glass).

Gorilla glue would probably melt the eps. PVA white glue would work, but is not fully waterproof. Ideal way I reckon is to mix up some epoxy with microballoons or cabosil, squeegee that on both sides, then use elastic rubber strips to hold it together. Inner tube cut into strips will work, but any sort of elastic will do.

Then you would need to add some carbon strips down the centre or something to stiffen it up.You will be using epoxy, so probably under some time pressure. As a novice adding the carbon after the glass job has set, or maybe mixing up another little batch to add the carbon will reduce risk of having the resin go sticky before you are finished doing the laps. I have done carbon strips over glass job and under glass glass job (i.e. straight on the blank)- both ways work.

Putting a wooden stringer in isn't too hard for a novice, but it is an effort to find the right wood, cut it and lining up the two pieces of eps will take some care.

Putting

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
PS

EPS density varies a lot. You will have to find out the density and put the appropriate amount of glass on. Depending on the type of EPS, you may or may not need to be extremely careful about not putting your board in the water before all pinholes are sealed (or avoided in the first place).

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I always use gorilla glue (PU glue) for glue ups. White is a little gummy. Ugly yellow cures harder but is ugly. I like adding black paint to the yellow. Liquid acrylic will work but make it gummy if you add too much. I found some acrylic powder that works well.

Stick it in the freezer overnight if you want more working time. Spread it on w a plastic squeeg, then clamp together. I use nylon ratcheting straps.

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
Awesome! Thanks everyone and I'll give it a go tomorrow. Would it work if I placed a carbon strip where the stringer should go? Or is it better just placing it on the top/bottom deck? I do have a few yards of carbon fiber.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
ghostshaper said:
I always use gorilla glue (PU glue) for glue ups … .
thanks for correcting me. I had mixed up that glue with another one called "Tarzan grip" :D which is a contact adhesive. Actually had not heard of gorilla glue, but took a look at the specs - looks perfect for the job.