Heaviest Wave In Socal

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I could see that wave from my house the first day it appeared. I couldn't figure out why there was a wave breaking there, so I did a quick recon on it and flipped out when I saw it was legitimate. I tried to convince my friend of what I found, he blew it off as a novelty wave and didn't want to go. A week later or so word trickled in (rice being one of the sources) that it was being surfed, my buddy was now interested the focker!:cursing: Unfortunately the timing was bad for me and I never got to surf it. :cautious:
Your "friend" blew it. :LOL:

We got it good, but I wish it was a little offshore. Next time. If there is a next time...

p.s. My son loves that board you sold him.

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
Your "friend" blew it. :LOL:

We got it good, but I wish it was a little offshore. Next time. If there is a next time...

p.s. My son loves that board you sold him.
Yeah thanks "H"! :D
Stocked for C and his new board, I knew he'd like it ;)

Reactions: rice

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
You realize of course that even being an ex-sponger disqualifies you from critical remarks about other dude's real surfboards or methods of riding them.
Alas. I can only hope you are one of the people I shoulder-checked over the falls for shoulder-hopping. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: rts265

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Did you get to surf the spot in your photo?

Hoping it comes back again, sometime. Only got one session out there, by boat. We all got pitched on our first few waves; hard to line up and waves come out of deep water and boom, just jack up on you. Would also ragdoll you across the whole bar when you went down.:LOL: We figured it out though and got a few hours of good waves, just the three of us (my son was one). The water smelled so bad and strong of fish, there were seals everywhere and I swore we were going to get eaten by something paddling to and from the boat.

Memorable, for sure.
I used to think I was going to be eaten paddling even to south jetty, so no.

Much less concern for my own life these days though. If it comes back, I'll go....sit there, paddle at a couple shoulders, and claim I couldn't pick out a good one :drowning:

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
" peeled my fullsuit off to my ankles " dude wut

Isn't Zuma the spot that paralyzed that one dude who was semi-pro?
Vaguely remember him being pushed into waved at US open on his stomach ~05

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Hmmm is that really CA? Is it even in federal waters?
According to Wikipedia:

Cortes Bank is a shallow seamount (a barely submerged island) to in the North Pacific Ocean. ... It is considered the outermost feature in California's Channel Islands chain. At various times during geologic history, the bank has been an island, depending on sea level rise and fall.

How has no one said Mavericks or ghost tree?
Mavericks and Ghost Trees are in Central California.