heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke, obesity and depression

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Other than what your physicians and other health care professional tell you? I'd say focus on the basics. Mainly water, low fat/low sodium diet, plenty of veggies, no alcohol, daily walking, some sunshine, music, time with loved ones, maybe some yoga, occupy your time with things you enjoy. Maybe at the simplest some light gardening either growing vegetables or florals. Or some gentle sports. My dad loved ping pong into his late 80's. Good luck man!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Other than what your physicians and other health care professional tell you? I'd say focus on the basics. Mainly water, low fat/low sodium diet, plenty of veggies, no alcohol, daily walking, some sunshine, music, time with loved ones, maybe some yoga, occupy your time with things you enjoy. Maybe at the simplest some light gardening either growing vegetables or florals. Or some gentle sports. My dad loved ping pong into his late 80's. Good luck man!
No resistance training?

Reactions: SurfDoc

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
heart disease - get walking, slow and steady, repeat daily
kidney disease - quit alcohol and processed foods, drink more water
high blood pressure - take your meds to get it under control
diabetes - take your meds to get it under control, lose weight
stroke - is this risk related or you had one? eat good fats less refined suger
obesity - less calories in, more movement, less processed foods
depression - get some professional help and maybe connect with old friends in person

But never mind all that, you got a diagnosis from a real doc, who probably said what is best for you....do that.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Beyond walking and yoga? Probably some light weights wouldn't hurt? If okayed by a professional. 2, 3, or 5 pound dumbells and grip strength exercises generally aren't harmful.
That seems too light to me.

I think that lifting heavy weights sends important signal to the systems in the body to stay functional.

Your body says "Oh, we're still doing this?"

(And yes, you have to have good technique)

But I also know that most old people aren't even doing walking or yoga.

What do you think of the new weight loss drugs like Ozempic?

Have you put any patients on it?

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Autoprax,
Somewhere in there is strength training in moderation! :)

I've prescribed many of the weight loss drugs over the years and have never been a fan. Nothing beats hard work for success like any other endeavor. Better diet, more exertion, longer intervals between meals, healthier beverages etc. Lots of stick-to-itiveness for the long haul like a year or 2 and life long changes to personal behaviors.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Each week adults need a minimum of 150 minutes of light to medium intensity exercise, (I would describe this as intense enough to make a long conversation difficult) and two sessions of strength training. This is the absolute minimum.

The easiest thing to do it walk at a good pace.....but it gets boring pretty quickly, especially if you don't have a partner. If you want to make a quick change get a road bike or join a local BJJ gym and attend 2-3 days per week....then add in body weight training.

If you're in or around Orange County I know a great place for you.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Autoprax,
Somewhere in there is strength training in moderation! :)

I've prescribed many of the weight loss drugs over the years and have never been a fan. Nothing beats hard work for success like any other endeavor. Better diet, more exertion, longer intervals between meals, healthier beverages etc. Lots of stick-to-itiveness for the long haul like a year or 2 and life long changes to personal behaviors.
100%

People get fixated on the number on a scale and a body image they couldn't possibly achieve.

Measure your waist circumference. Men, If it's above 40" you need to make some life choices. You're obese to the point where you are already experiencing negative health consequences. Ditch the scale and look at yourself in the mirror. Check back in 6 weeks.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
That seems too light to me.

I think that lifting heavy weights sends important signal to the systems in the body to stay functional.

Your body says "Oh, we're still doing this?"

(And yes, you have to have good technique)

But I also know that most old people aren't even doing walking or yoga.

What do you think of the new weight loss drugs like Ozempic?

Have you put any patients on it?
It's becoming apparent that Ozempic has some serious side effects and should only be prescribed where absolutely necessary. Unless you fit the criteria for prescribing you will lose more lean mass than fat on Ozempic.

I think compound movements using increasingly heavy weights is the health panacea people are looking for....but you need to take the starting point into consideration. Sometimes it's better to get someone to a reasonable baseline before beginning programmed strength training. With this population there's just so much change to make with diet and exercise you don't want to overwhelm them or they won't be doing anything for long.

Reactions: One-Off

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I suspect the muscle loss from the Ozempic could be mitigated by making sure you eat enough protein and lifting.

I think that stuff just shuts off your appetite and people just don't eat.

I <3 heavy compound moments.

I agree about not overwhelming them. You don't want to spook the nervous system.

It's easy to do.

Some people don't realize how easy it is.