Healthier to be overweight and strong than lean and weak - article

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
@casa_mugrienta What happened to your foray into weightlifting? Squaring you away on all of our definitions would be much easier if you had experience.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
@casa_mugrienta What happened to your foray into weightlifting? Squaring you away on all of our definitions would be much easier if you had experience.
My last weightlifting foray was in high school.

When it started to interfere with my surfing I knew it wasn't for me.

But I met all the max out goals of course, as I needed to make an A+.

I played around with squatting some months ago but have no idea if my form was correct so I quit.

Quite honestly I don't think I get enough sleep to add weightlifting to the demands of hiking, running, and surfing.

Need more time to rest and repair.

I'm walking 20 miles a week on my feet just at work.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
It is a prerequisite for existence itself.

Rip's claim is swiss cheese faulty.
Oh..so you're just looking to be disagreeable.

I think any well adjusted and mature adult would have accepted that Rips statement was in the standard of all things being equal. No sane person would walk up to a poor hungry homeless guy and say...well, if only you started living a healthier lifestyle including a balanced diet and exercise.

The truth is that sarcopenia...which is really just wasting, is a huge health issue around the world and in the US. As humans we adapt to our surrounding and due to modern technology and conveniences we don't have the physical requirements we once had. This includes the need to hunt and farm. Today we grab processed food and watch technology do much of the physical labor for us. So our diet sucks and we are physically weaker. This is literally killing the agin population because they do not have the physical resources to survive. We live longer than ever now....why not accept that you can do something to enjoy the bonus years modern medicine provides?

No one has ever made the claim that to be healthy you need to weigh 300 pounds at 30% body fat and deadlift 1000 pounds. But you should be physically strong enough to survive gravity as you age. For whatever reason the modern world has adopted a "just take it easy" approach to life. Telling young men and women, you're 45 years old, just take it easy every time they go to the doctor with a minor physical malady. A huge portion of the population feels that adulthood has some limiting physical component to it. Sure you're never going to be as agile and fleet a foot as you were when you are younger, but you deal with it and try and be as best as. you can be.

We know strength training builds bone density. We know it leads to thickening of the soft tissues around joints, ligaments, tendon, cartilage. We know the bodies primary defense against physical injury is reflex, and the degree which you can resist an injury producing force is directly depended on your current level of strength. These are things that increase in importance for survival as we age.

Over and over again studies show no difference in the pathology of joints, including the spine of people who have strength trained vs people who have been sedentary. Studies do show that people in the sedentary population are more commonly in need of pain management for similar pathologies. Sure, if weightlifting was something you pursued competitively it's reasonable to assume that this person was taking a less cautious approach to managing external resistance and forces which can and does result in injuries....but that'a the same with every athletic or physical endeavor and it's not even that remarkable considering the population we are talking about.

Reactions: grapedrink and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The focus of this thread was related to malnourished individuals with minimal muscle vs overweight individuals with a decent amount of muscle.

That' the only thing my comments relate to.
Fat people have more muscle because they're overloaded (to use the strength training definition) by their excess adipose tissue. This increases their absolute strength but not their relative strength (relative to their bodyweight). Over time, muscle tissue declines in thin people and fat people as you age without strength training.

We're talking about training for strength here - increases in absolute AND relative strength. This does improve muscle mass but not as much as hypertrophy training and definitely should not be compared to eating your way to 300 lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Impressive. Is there data for "strong" fat people with good grip strength?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

We conducted a retrospective review of medical charts of patients, aged 18 to 59 years old, who underwent either a total knee replacement (TKR) or total hip replacement (THR) from January 2002 to December 2004. Of the 204 study subjects, 52% had a TKR while 48% had a THR. Obesity was significantly associated with the need for a TKR or THR when comparing the study group to adults of similar age in the general population (P< 0.0001). Seventy-two percent (146) of the study group was obese and 21% (42) overweight (BMI 25.0 to 29.9 kg/m2) compared to only 26% (596) obese and 34% (732) overweight in the general population. Patients undergoing a TKR were significantly more likely to be obese (BMI>30 kg/m2) than those having a THR, 83% (89) compared to 59% (57) (P< .0006). Our findings support those previously observed in the elderly population. Primary and secondary prevention programs aimed at reducing obesity are strongly recommended.
That's why the CDC and state gov have been running all those ads for the past two years to get everyone outside and exercsing and eating less and obesity has fallen.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I have also noticed a lot of fat people lately claiming "weightlifting" as a hobby which I find odd
Why is that odd :unsure:

but then again it makes sense because their joints are already so bad even at a young age.
As a whole, weight lifters at all ages will have much better joint health and less chronic pain/issues than those who don’t.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I have also noticed a lot of fat people lately claiming "weightlifting" as a hobby which I find odd, but then again it makes sense because their joints are already so bad even at a young age.
Claiming "weightlifting as a hobby" is suspicious if they don't look like weight lifters. This warrants further questions, "Oh, yeah? What is your 1RM squat/DL? May we test your grip strength?" My wife lifts weights and she maxes out the grip strength tester.

Their joints are bad due to inactivity and poor health, not from lifting weights.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

Those aren’t studies. They’re editorials.

Just going to a place where there are people who are sick or diseased and trying to draw some sort of relevant conclusion from that population isn't meant to be serious.

Why not take it a step further and ask what they normally eat for breakfast and conclude what breakfast food type leads to knee replacement?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Claiming "weightlifting as a hobby" is suspicious if they don't look like weight lifters. This warrants further questions, "Oh, yeah? What is your 1RM squat/DL? May we test your grip strength?" My wife lifts weights and she maxes out the grip strength tester.

Their joints are bad due to inactivity and poor health, not from lifting weights.
Correct.

Active movement is pretty much off the table for most of these people.

I noticed a lot of women who get into Starting Stregth end up putting on some fat and then talking about how it's ok they're fatter than before.

Fat neighbor had knee surgery about 4 years ago.

This injury happened while working out with her trainer.

After the surgery she walked like an old woman for 3 years.

Fat neighbor finally decided to lose weight.

Walks like normal now she's at a normal weight.

It's also amazing how much less noise comes from her unit since she's no longer a fat piece of sh!t and just a piece of sh!t.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I played around with squatting some months ago but have no idea if my form was correct so I quit.
Post a video of yourself squatting here and the experts can critique you.

You could just do 50 reps with a broom stick on your back.

Some kind of over head press would be good.

And some kind of pull.

Once a week.

You are not wearing out the muscles as much and priming the nervous system.

To be able to lift and not lift is a crime against god, nature and humanity.