Healthier to be overweight and strong than lean and weak - article

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Most people, including doctors don't know that overweight isn't a diagnosis.

When I hear people say they want or need to lose weight I feel sorry for them. It usually means they are going to go from whatever health metric they are at, to a worse one.

The scale measures gravity. That's it. It's one of several screening tools we can use to help someone achieve or improve a their health. For whatever reason people have allowed themselves to be convinced that it's some health benchmark

People with 25% body fat have higher survivability from disease or injury than than people with single digit body fat.

Being physically strong is the most important thing in life if you like living.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Most people, including doctors don't know that overweight isn't a diagnosis.

When I hear people say they want or need to lose weight I feel sorry for them. It usually means they are going to go from whatever health metric they are at, to a worse one.

The scale measures gravity. That's it. It's one of several screening tools we can use to help someone achieve or improve a their health. For whatever reason people have allowed themselves to be convinced that it's some health benchmark

People with 25% body fat have higher survivability from disease or injury than than people with single digit body fat.

Being physically strong is the most important thing in life if you like living.
Being fat is anabolic.

Didn't we disagree over this before?

My dad was fat when he was older but he had really muscular legs and butt.

I know this because we used to take showers together Joe Biden style. :roflmao:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I would say it's a baseline necessity.

Being strong is your ace in the hole.
There is nothing wrong or undesirable with being strong, but the notion that being strong is the most important thing in life, even if you substitute health for life, is myopic at best. Maybe meathead logic is at play?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
There is nothing wrong or undesirable with being strong, but the notion that being strong is the most important thing in life, even if you substitute health for life, is myopic at best. Maybe meathead logic is at play?
Maybe science is at play.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say with your poorly worded post...but strength training is a pillar of being as healthy as a person can be.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Nothing in the studies linked suggest fat is OK. Only that fitness is important.

From the first study- "Obesity according to fat index blunted the survival benefits of being powerful."

Take away- lean and strong is better than fat and strong.

From the second study- "Because weight loss maintenance is poor and considering the health risks associated with chronic weight instability ( “yo-yo” dieting), we propose an alternative paradigm that focuses on improving CRF rather than reducing body weight."

Translation- exercise is good for you! Dieting without exercising is not healthy.

From the third study- "A major goal of this article has been to go through the different age groups in a same article, to have an overview of the relevance for health of maintaining fitness, both CRF and muscular strength, at a moderately to high levels, and fatness at low/normal levels, all through the lifespan. "

Maintain fitness at high level, fatness at low/normal levels. Win win!

Reactions: Aruka and PRCD

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Nothing in the studies linked suggest fat is OK. Only that fitness is important.

From the first study- "Obesity according to fat index blunted the survival benefits of being powerful."

Take away- lean and strong is better than fat and strong.

From the second study- "Because weight loss maintenance is poor and considering the health risks associated with chronic weight instability ( “yo-yo” dieting), we propose an alternative paradigm that focuses on improving CRF rather than reducing body weight."

Translation- exercise is good for you! Dieting without exercising is not healthy.

From the third study- "A major goal of this article has been to go through the different age groups in a same article, to have an overview of the relevance for health of maintaining fitness, both CRF and muscular strength, at a moderately to high levels, and fatness at low/normal levels, all through the lifespan. "

Maintain fitness at high level, fatness at low/normal levels. Win win!
I don't think there's an argument to be made that obesity is OK. The argument I make is using the term "losing weight" is meaningless when being healthy for some could actually mean gaining weight while losing adipose tissue.

Desired body fat depends on genetics and what type of physical demands you put your body through. My walk around weight is around 190 and I'm fairly lean there. When I'm in a heavy training cycle I get north of 200 pounds. I keep good track of my vitals which don't change and my waist circumference is always below 33 inches. I'm a bit fluffier but if I tried to keep my weight down I would feel like hell and be irritable all the time and probably not recover. Guys that have extremely physical jobs need the extra resources (energy stores) to recover and stay healthy.

Most people think a healthy weight is one with visible abs and full body muscle definition. Both are more genetic that results of healthy lifestyle. Lots of kids (and adults) have terribly unhealthy eating habits because they want to look like the fitness lifestyle influencer they follow....so they adopt an unhealthy diet lacking in baseline nutritional requirements or diet down to single digit body fat and begin suffering from a weakened immune system, bone density issues, hormonal imbalances, reduced vital organ function etc etc etc. Many of the same negative health consequences found in the obese population.

It's more important to monitor your blood pressure regularly than it is to get on a scale.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Would you settle for top five? :shrug:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I don't think there's an argument to be made that obesity is OK. The argument I make is using the term "losing weight" is meaningless when being healthy for some could actually mean gaining weight while losing adipose tissue.

Desired body fat depends on genetics and what type of physical demands you put your body through. My walk around weight is around 190 and I'm fairly lean there. When I'm in a heavy training cycle I get north of 200 pounds. I keep good track of my vitals which don't change and my waist circumference is always below 33 inches. I'm a bit fluffier but if I tried to keep my weight down I would feel like hell and be irritable all the time and probably not recover. Guys that have extremely physical jobs need the extra resources (energy stores) to recover and stay healthy.

Most people think a healthy weight is one with visible abs and full body muscle definition. Both are more genetic that results of healthy lifestyle. Lots of kids (and adults) have terribly unhealthy eating habits because they want to look like the fitness lifestyle influencer they follow....so they adopt an unhealthy diet lacking in baseline nutritional requirements or diet down to single digit body fat and begin suffering from a weakened immune system, bone density issues, hormonal imbalances, reduced vital organ function etc etc etc. Many of the same negative health consequences found in the obese population.

It's more important to monitor your blood pressure regularly than it is to get on a scale.
My ab muscles get huge.

Too big.

But they are covered in fat now.

I said this in class one time, using a humorous vocal tone, and one of my students had an uncontrollable laughing fit.

That is when you know you are earning your big 5 figure teaching salary.:dancing:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Maybe science is at play.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say with your poorly worded post...but strength training is a pillar of being as healthy as a person can be.
It can be a pillar but it is not necessary or is it, to quote you, 'the most important thing in life'!

You fcking clown:roflmao:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
It can be a pillar but it is not necessary or is it, to quote you, 'the most important thing in life'!

You fcking clown:roflmao:
Just because you've made the decision to go through life with the body of a yoga mom doesn't;t mean you have to get upset of people who are suggesting there's a better way. It's just science...no reason to get pissy.

Who knew twinks could be so aggressive?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
To be a successful Twink you have to be aggressive.

There was this kid in school on the elevator and he was signaling so hard with his gay Twink-ness. He was just a little guy.

And my thought was, How does he do that without getting the crap beaten out of him?

Then he mad dogged me so hard, I was like, Oh, that's how.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
@Woke AF

What VonMeister is advocating is the HAAS movement: Healthy At Any Size.

It is the latest "It's OK to be fat (it's actually healthier)" trends.:shameonyou:

Surprising you're unaware because "It's OK to be fat (it's actually healthier)" is one of the cornerstones of woke philosophy.

• Wow
Reactions: silentbutdeadly