Healing the nation will most likely come from the GOP. This gave me hope.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Media is a problem. It's always been a problem. That doesn't mean we need to be captive to it.
Agreed. Although I think that its a bigger problem now then in times past since people consume so much more of it via smart phone. One of the thing that gives me great hope is the spike in skepticism in the gen z cohort. I'm hopeful this will help them to be less triggered by mass media than the older folks seems to be these days.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Was there massive voter fraud in your bubble, Crusty? Did Dominion steal the election in your bubble?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Agreed. Although I think that its a bigger problem now then in times past since people consume so much more of it via smart phone. One of the thing that gives me great hope is the spike in skepticism in the gen z cohort. I'm hopeful this will help them to be less triggered by mass media than the older folks seems to be these days.
The media serves a vital role in any free society. The idea that nobody will be able to understand what’s actually true means nothing will be true. And when nothing is true, we’re fucked.

Reactions: kidfury

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Was there massive voter fraud in your bubble, Crusty? Did Dominion steal the election in your bubble?
Nope. In my bubble President-elect Biden won fair and square. Was there fraud? Probably. Not a perfect world. Was there enough fraud to change the results of the election. I don't think so.

Last edited:

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Then we must define "bubble" differently.
words mean what they mean.

I think this is what you're looking for:

7: an enclosed or isolated sphere of experience or activity in which the like-minded members of a homogeneous community support and reinforce their shared opinions

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Then we must define "bubble" differently.
I guess.

I don't seek to read the media news solely to confirm what I want to believe.

Not interested in that whatsoever.

Unfortunately, it's possible to do that all day long, thanks to the internetz.

Just look at Squidley and GromsDad.

What's a definition of a bubble for you?

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I don't seek to read the media news solely to confirm what I want to believe.

Not interested in that whatsoever.
Same. But for most folks, myself included, I think it takes considerable effort to avoid the sloppy and natural habit of confirmation bias.
What's a definition of a bubble for you?
Reality is a cognitive construct. Its a model of the universe we live in. A simplification of the universe we live in. When a portion of that model is overly simplified and fails to incorporate some important feature of the actual universe we live in, I refer to that portion of the model as a bubble.

For example, if someone were to tell me that Columbus discovered America, I might say, "I hate to burst your bubble, but there were people in America long before Columbus got there".

Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Same. But for most folks, myself included, I think it takes considerable effort to avoid the sloppy and natural habit of confirmation bias.
Truth is messy and complicated.

Most people don't like to face unpleasantries.

Internet allows them to avoid the unpleasant truth ad infinitum.

You can always find a source that will confirm your biases, no matter how ridiculous.

I overheard the other day from a grown, functioning, adult woman that Pence is a child rapist and that Biden was replaced by a robot for the presidential debates.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
crustBrother, no one said you could change your fkn avatar, man

put it back so the world makes sense again, plz

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
$.02

Squid Lee is in a bubble. He only seems to consume GatewayPundit and other completely batshit garbage.

ifallalot and FecalFace imho are just insanely ideologically rigid relative to the erBB mean. That's not their bubble, that's their frame/paradigm applied to a given input.

An example of ifallalot and Sharkbiscuit's bubbles is when ifallalot thought Trump was in a good place because of a truck parade in Arizona, or when Sharkbiscuit thought Biden was in a good place based on how many Biden/Harris and random Woke yardsigns he saw in the Jax Beaches.

It turns out we were both wrong. Biden won AZ and Blumpf won Florida.

If this isn't called a "bubble bath", it should be.