Head gasket + cylinder head machining in San Diego County or Orange County

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I have a 2010 Subaru OUtback 2.5 with a blown head gasket. The Subaru repair manual says to clean the surface of the cylinder heads with a plastic disk tool which will result in another blown head gasket shortly, so I don't want to take it to the dealer. Who does good head gasket repairs WITH cylinder head machining in this county? I'm even willing to have it towed to Orange County.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Just take the head off. Why tow the car? Not likely gonna find a good machining shop that does auto repair Mechanics send the machining out. That looks like a bitch of a job. Pay a mechanic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chocki

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
To understand the manual, he would have to have a basic level of empathy for the Lesbo experience, which is a little more involved than just driving the vehicle.
They don't drive the vehicle, more like just using the fingers :monkey:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
My takeaway from that article.

Don't buy a Subaru.
All the major brands have problems now due to trying to keep up with EPA mandates.

I talked to a Honda master mechanic who said Honda minivan transmissions after 2015 are shyte now. Toyota has had other problems.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I(f people maintained their vehicle like they give a sh!t maybe their gaskets wouldnt blow. In my experience you blow a head gasket because the engine got to hot. Why were you driving it at that temperature? Did you not expect this to happen? The head gasket is a failsafe so rather than the engine becoming a bomb it blows the gasket to relieve the pressure.

How often do you people check your fluids? Change them? Change Filters? My truck has air filter, coolant filters, oil filters and fuel filters as well as a water separator. I change my oil every 3500 miles need it or not. Are you just the Put gas in and go kinda gal?

Reactions: Driftcoast

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
Imagine blaming someone else because you don't want to engineer a better product.
Why are you assuming the "better" engineered product that resulted from EPA regulations is in fact, better?

These are adjustments in response, the result is a compromise (quite often not better) because the car company has to also not pisss off its customers.

Reactions: GromsDad

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Why are you assuming the "better" engineered product that resulted from EPA regulations is in fact, better?

These are adjustments in response, the result is a compromise (quite often not better) because the car company has to also not pisss off its customers.
Cars consuming less than 1l pr 10km is the work of communist Satan!

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria

"better" relative to not falling apart so soon, not relative to previous design since required design parameters have changed. I should have clarified.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I(f people maintained their vehicle like they give a sh!t maybe their gaskets wouldnt blow. In my experience you blow a head gasket because the engine got to hot. Why were you driving it at that temperature? Did you not expect this to happen? The head gasket is a failsafe so rather than the engine becoming a bomb it blows the gasket to relieve the pressure.

How often do you people check your fluids? Change them? Change Filters? My truck has air filter, coolant filters, oil filters and fuel filters as well as a water separator. I change my oil every 3500 miles need it or not. Are you just the Put gas in and go kinda gal?
Early 90s Tacomas had a gasket recall. Mine blew twice. I've got a new Subaru and it rocks. I change the oil every 3-4k and follow the maintenance schedule in the manual.

Reactions: Driftcoast

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Isn't the Subaru 2.5 a boxer engine (flat 4)? They use them as replacements for VW Vanagons. The VW Vanagons' original engine , also a boxer, was notorious for what was originally thought to be head gasket problems. It was eventually found to be the water jacket seal and the fix was simple- change the coolant to phospahate free. Just food for thought.

And like someone said, I don't think most mechanics do their machining themselves. They will shop it out. At least the VW and Audi mechanics I've used do that.

Reactions: Pico and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Isn't the Subaru 2.5 a boxer engine (flat 4)?
Yes.
They use them as replacements for VW Vanagons. The VW Vanagons' original engine , also a boxer, was notorious for what was originally thought to be head gasket problems. It was eventually found to be the water jacket seal and the fix was simple- change the coolant to phospahate free. Just food for thought.
Large corporations are increasingly prone to gaslighting and stonewalling. To an extent you're reliant on these YouTube guys' opinions, like Mr. Subaru.
And like someone said, I don't think most mechanics do their machining themselves. They will shop it out. At least the VW and Audi mechanics I've used do that.
Yeah I'm actually working backward from the local machine shops. I'm not thrilled with the idea of an aluminum engine at all.