Haydenshapes Misc.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Anyone tried one of these? Noel Salsa gave it a favourable review, but I'm looking for honest feedback.

Jan 24, 2018
Demo’d a misc a couple years ago, went really well on an average HB day, fast like a fish but turned like a thruster. Out of 5 boards, this was the best that day. Coveted one, but wouldn’t pull the trigger on a foreign built board. Love the future flex though. Anyway, had my local shaper make a great epoxy copy. Never really worked like the demo board I tried.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
... so anyone else got experience with this? Sounds about as popular as the HS merlot I had

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I ordered a custom one a couple of weeks ago. Delivery will take until February as they are swamped with orders :(.

Before ordering, I tried a stock 5'10" FF one through HS in Mona Vale. It was about one size too big for me, but it went really well in terrible, small surf. It will definitely suit the intention of small, weak waves but I think it could be fun with a bit more push as well.

I could have had a stock 5'9" thailand made one, but I prefer epoxy/PU boards and it would be made locally anyway. Hopefully it's worth the wait.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
I ordered a custom one a couple of weeks ago. Delivery will take until February as they are swamped with orders :(.

Before ordering, I tried a stock 5'10" FF one through HS in Mona Vale. It was about one size too big for me, but it went really well in terrible, small surf. It will definitely suit the intention of small, weak waves but I think it could be fun with a bit more push as well.

I could have had a stock 5'9" thailand made one, but I prefer epoxy/PU boards and it would be made locally anyway. Hopefully it's worth the wait.
Thanks for sharing, this is good to know. They advertise it as the fastest board in their lineup, most reviews seem to support this.

The 5'11 stock dims look good for me. If I get it I'll have to explore the world of twin fins. Would want speed generating ones. Maybe futures Rasta? Machados might be too small as I'm 195 lbs. Have no idea where to start though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
seems a bit bizarre to wait 3 months for a board you can get off the rack, but good luck.
seen people shredding on them, looks like a versatile design.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I think it’s a sign of the times with the high demand for “toys and Renos”. I don’t mind waiting as I’ve got other boards which are working for me at the moment. Also, there’s been countless times when shapers have told me “6 weeks” that have magically stretched to 3 or 4 months over the last 20 years...

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Updating this thread with a quick review of my 5'11 Misc. with Rasta 2+1. Had a few sessions in waist to head high BB both clean and super windy.

SUPER fast, effortless speed and glide from take-off. Holds a line on drawn out bottom turns incredibly well. Very loose tail allows me to throw the board up in the lip or whitewater very easily. This is my first twin so I was surprised by the hold and looseness combo.

Downside is sliding tail when putting pressure on the tail. Although it's easy to put the board up in the lip, I had a hard time riding out of turns or foam climbs because I would stall the tail and get hung up. Same with cutbacks or bottom turns when putting pressure on the tail, would slide, stall, and lose drive. Tail is pretty wide and low rocker.

Not sure if this is just a twinny thing that I have to get used to. Any advice on adjusting your surfing for a twin?

I got this board as a mushy wave groveller, and it does that perfectly so a big thumbs up for me!

AB1EE8AB-AA44-40D8-9D9C-CA3075D0CC81.jpeg

Reactions: jkb and Aruka

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Updating this thread with a quick review of my 5'11 Misc. with Rasta 2+1. Had a few sessions in waist to head high BB both clean and super windy.

SUPER fast, effortless speed and glide from take-off. Holds a line on drawn out bottom turns incredibly well. Very loose tail allows me to throw the board up in the lip or whitewater very easily. This is my first twin so I was surprised by the hold and looseness combo.

Downside is sliding tail when putting pressure on the tail. Although it's easy to put the board up in the lip, I had a hard time riding out of turns or foam climbs because I would stall the tail and get hung up. Same with cutbacks or bottom turns when putting pressure on the tail, would slide, stall, and lose drive. Tail is pretty wide and low rocker.

Not sure if this is just a twinny thing that I have to get used to. Any advice on adjusting your surfing for a twin?

I got this board as a mushy wave groveller, and it does that perfectly so a big thumbs up for me!
Hi Lohena, I've had my Misc for a few months and am enjoying it too. I agree on your comments re. the pros of the board - it's fast and definitely holds a line in drawn out turns.

For me, I've ridden a few twins and it is fairly similar - it will need to be nursed a bit more when right back on the tail pad behind the main fins. I've found this particular board has less of an issue than others in that regard as the main fins are set back a bit.

I suggest you try a different set of fins and see if that makes a difference. I'm riding a set of these in mine:
https://shapers.com.au/copy-of-asher-pacey-5-59-twin-fin-natural/.

I could be wrong, but I believe the Rasta fins are basically a T1 template with an inside foil - I've tried a set of normal T1's in my board and while they went well, they didn't feel as good as the Asher Pacey fins. While our resident fin gurus here may tell me I'm talking rubbish, I think the combination of Fibreglass construction and a slight setback in the boxes compared to the T1's make the difference.

Reactions: Lohena and Aruka

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Hi Lohena, I've had my Misc for a few months and am enjoying it too. I agree on your comments re. the pros of the board - it's fast and definitely holds a line in drawn out turns.

For me, I've ridden a few twins and it is fairly similar - it will need to be nursed a bit more when right back on the tail pad behind the main fins. I've found this particular board has less of an issue than others in that regard as the main fins are set back a bit.

I suggest you try a different set of fins and see if that makes a difference. I'm riding a set of these in mine:
https://shapers.com.au/copy-of-asher-pacey-5-59-twin-fin-natural/.

I could be wrong, but I believe the Rasta fins are basically a T1 template with an inside foil - I've tried a set of normal T1's in my board and while they went well, they didn't feel as good as the Asher Pacey fins. While our resident fin gurus here may tell me I'm talking rubbish, I think the combination of Fibreglass construction and a slight setback in the boxes compared to the T1's make the difference.
Thanks for the input Hazrus. Good to know this board has less slide than other twins. I was little hesitant to open the twin fin Pandora box, but glad I did now. I'll probably have to build a little twin fin quiver now.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
How many $$ extra untill its correct ?

Grumpy Old Dude Has Spoken !
Wouldn't necessarily say this is a problem that needs correcting, just maybe fine tuning. To be clear this is a great board for what I bought it for. Easily the best groveller I've had. Way more effortless speed and looseness than others I've had, but not as hp as my regular thrusters

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
You’re right Greg. It’s a pity that ”matched sets” aren’t made for most popular models. Having said that, ive Had boards that were custom-designed around a specific fin template before... and I preferred them with different fins. The shaper in mind is an absolute master as well...

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
...and I like having a few sets of fins to use. it mixes things up and keeps a board interesting.

for example, sometimes I ride a twin with keels, sometimes with a more standard twin template. I like both.

Reactions: Lohena