Hayden and Future Flex

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I had a CA shaped custom, an Aussy custom, and a few Thai made off the racks. Only difference I can tell is that they use less whitener in the CA ones so they yellowed. The Thai ones are noticeably whiter and the rails looks sorta purple in the light while the CA ones look black.

I'm riding stock dims so didn't see a need to get another custom. Custom ones have a little cleaner rail shape but surfed the same to me. Eventually broke the CA custom but had picked it up second (or third) hand so not really a comment on the longevity. I would buy another in a heartbeat, off the rack or custom.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
if I got a custom Hayden I think I'd just go with the PU foam/epoxy resin construction.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
interesting add to this story:

His new custom ...lost came in the shop but they told him if he didn't want it they'd just put it on the rack for sale. So he demos the hayden again to make his final decision and he buckles it today. He's the only one who's ridden it and it was on it's 7th session or so?

He likes it so much he's still going to order one thinking it was just a fluke.

We'll see....

This boar did not love him long time!

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I had a CA shaped custom, an Aussy custom, and a few Thai made off the racks. Only difference I can tell is that they use less whitener in the CA ones so they yellowed. The Thai ones are noticeably whiter and the rails looks sorta purple in the light while the CA ones look black.

I'm riding stock dims so didn't see a need to get another custom. Custom ones have a little cleaner rail shape but surfed the same to me. Eventually broke the CA custom but had picked it up second (or third) hand so not really a comment on the longevity. I would buy another in a heartbeat, off the rack or custom.
My experience is the opposite. My Pureglass ones' rails were definitely more purple than the GSI ones I would see around when I had mine. My boards stayed really white. I had one or two more after this photo (2011 I think based on my kid). I removed stickers when I sold the boards that had been on over a year (with lots of water/sun time) and there was barely any color difference.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
The GSI one that I demo'ed dented really bad after one use. I was the first one to demo it and I couldn't believe the amount of deck crushing. Got some reassurance on this forum that it wasn't the norm for the customs.

So I went ahead and ordered a custom and that one turned out solid. I think I've had it about a year and a half now and the thing still looks almost brand new. The customs are very high quality, in my experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaseTMP