Hawaii trip (Oahu + Kauai or Maui?) with dad and brother... recommendations?

Blias Bloon

Nep status
Jan 3, 2003
Leaving next week. January 14th to 31st. Starting off on Oahu. Will rent a car. Staying at the Backpackers (Plantation Village) for 8 nights. Then not sure what we will do next. Pops says play it by ear once we are there but I want to have some ideas ready to go. Either stay on Oahu for the rest of the trip or fly to Kauai or Maui until we leave.

Looking to surf, see the landmarks, but also do other activities.

My dad doesn't surf but would be down to take a lesson.
My brother hasn't surfed in at least ten years and will need to rent a board. Maybe a soft top/mid length to start off. Saw him snowboard a few days ago for the first time in over ten years and it was like he had never stopped so that's promising.
I've been riding a 5'5 libtech Puddle Jumper pretty much exclusively for the past year in everything from 2' slop to hollow overhead river mouth barrels. A few days in board shorts in the Caribbean but mostly surfing North of the Wall wearing a 4/3 or 5/4, last week a 6/5 with ice floating in the lineup. Going to bring that board, which I figure I can use at whatever mellower spot my brother will be surfing. Also want to buy a board, for the trip and to round out my quiver back home. Thinking Pyzel Ghost... Stock 6'1 or 6'2 (me: 31, 5'11/170-175lbs)... I'll see what's available. That should keep me covered for everything I'd be willing to paddle out to. I'm no charger and not looking to surf heavy spots.

So where would you recommend getting surf lessons? Board rentals? Best place to buy fins/traction pad/leash?

I'd like to get a few hikes in... Ka'ena Point, Koko Head, Pillbox? Dad (64) and my brother (30) are both fit... but kind of lazy when it comes to hiking. Probably good for a half-day hike but not a full-on day... anything else?

Other must-see must-do activities?

I definitely want to just walk around a lot and check out spots and landmarks I've been reading about since I stumbled upon the erBB as a grom.
Will be hitting up Foodland but also want to try out all those culinary landmarks as well! Ted's Bakery, Café Haleiwa, plate lunch from food trucks, poi, ???

Next big question: Kauai or Maui? Was thinking of a Kauai trip with my girlfriend with some serious hiking, so maybe save that for later and go to Maui with the boys instead?

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance! :shaka::drowning:

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Post up at Turtle Bay bro. Its hard to match the sunsets, restaurants, pool, bar, decent surf spot for a beginner right there. You don't have to leave.