Hawaii MMA high school takedown.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'd like to take a moment here to thank OP for yet another glorious shitshow.

Trainwreckfinger, he's the manlet, the manlet with the flamewar touch
A drainer's touch
Such a bait flinger beckons you to enter his thread of sh!t
So post in it.

Trainwreck threads he will put in your BB
But his trolls can't control what it will be
For a trainwreck troll knows when he's trained her
It's the kiss of death from drainer

Trainwreckfinger, erBBer, beware of his thread of troll
This thread is lol

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
So, to recap this thread...

Duffy is a tough guy that knows more about MMA than anyone else here and if you disagree with his knowledge on the subject you are an idiot or a moron.

Sounds like maybe too much of those testosterone supplements are affecting judgement here?

How to influence friends and win enemies?

We are a peaceful little forum that likes to banter about this and that but when the going gets tough we all just try to get along.

I couldn't give a husky fvck about BJJ or any of the others. Be a good human and you won't have to get yourself in a pickle like that.

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
You know why everyone hates on BJJ? Because those guys never shut up about it. They always find a way to insert it into any discussion….

it gets old, fast.

None of the veterans, bouncers, or real life badasses including street toughs or whatever fight “style” you practice, talk about it like BJJ people.

It reminds me of that guy in high school that was always talking about how much sex they had…..

if you love BJJ, awesome. Let it go and handle your own shi$ and people won’t make fun of you

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Is this the video?

I would opt out of that (!) unless I had no other choice. They say the last thing to go on a fighter is power.

In my 30's, as a brown belt I got invited attend what was ordinarily a BB class/training. Long story short we got to a section that was free sparring. Just rotating through partners. The energy level was high and I was doing OK, so I was kind of pumped. I rotate into this BB who was probably in his late 50's. I went at him with the same intensity I had been using and he just wasn't responding. And I started pushing. (yes, I'm stupid). Long story short he put something into my liver I never saw coming. I didn't go down, but my legs wanted to and he saw it. He asked me if I was OK, I took a few breaths and indicated I was. He then told me, "I'm old. I can't keep up the pace you can. I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."

There's a saying, "The nail that sticks up gets the hammer."

I'd been sticking up.

I used to go watch my kid train BJJ. The technicality of the art blows my mind. Mentally I'd get my head around a technique being worked on and then blow smoke out my ears trying to wrap my head around doing the same thing on the opposite side. But everything I saw was always very controlled. It's training. Sure, you can get two guys over in the corner that get into a dick measuring contest. They're agreeing to that. I had a situation once where a certain individual and I settled something after hours. I had the keys. We didn't just walk through the door and wind up that way. It took some time. We both wanted it. We settled it. For awhile anyway. You kind of get the level of intensity you are putting out. Mostly.

Last edited:
Reactions: twinzerfan

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
To recap:

- Resident TRT using BJJ blackbelt thinks BJJ is the best martial art in the world. Anyone who doesn't like BJJ just doesn't understand it and is wrong.

- Some posters think two teenage girls beating, choking, and breaking joints is acceptable.

- Somehow saying kids shouldn't learn to choke each other is controversial and BJJ resident chimes in because apparently no one understands BJJ like he does.

- Resident blackbelt still believes he can take Tyson in a fight based on his latest video.

- Labs are lovers.

- Anything else?

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
IMO the labs are lovers guy nailed it the most
I had a friend that had a psychotic male lab. The thing bit at least 5 people and would fight anything male almost instantly. Hated that dog. The owner was a little psychotic as well. Go figure.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I think Duffy is a purple belt?

The one thing I gotta defend him on is the culture. I've trained a LOT of places. NY to LA, SD, Italy. Everyone was welcoming and respectful. Disproportionately more than the population at large. If you're experiencing bullying/douche stuff in BJJ, it's an outlier. Either that gym or you are the problem.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
I do know that on occasion someone will need to get checked. I’ve seen it happen at my gym and it always deserved.

It’s always been a “put the hurt on him” thing. Never have we purposely injured anyone.

I personally have had novices dive in on a heel hook on me and made them regret it.

I tell them AFTER the roll why I went so hard.

Some people may interpret that as bullying.
Sounds to me like the problem is that you surround yourself with sh!t people

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
This argument reminds me of taking Aikido.

some, maybe most schools are full of students who are just there to learn, and embrace the culture. That’s awesome.

then there’s the Steven Seagal schools where everyone has something to prove. I’m almost convinced it’s the same with BJJ.

I agree that all schools are not the same. But why are the biggest mouths on any forum when fighting comes up BJJ guys?

Fight Tyson at 50? You’re nuts, but Id watch.

worst beating of my life came at the hands of a 60 something Filipino. Tough is tough, and old guys that have seen what Tyson has…. Er, no thanks. Besides, he’s going to bite your ear off to distract and land that KO. Nite nite

Reactions: PRCD and Havoc