Hawaii- Done

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Being that this might have been my last mainland business trip before I finally retire and being raised and taught by my elders to always bring omiyage when i visit anywhere, i took up 2 dozen boxes of costco mac nut chocolate and as much maui jewel fruit/wine candies to give away. I also had 20 orchid leis shipped directly to the hotel from Lyn's which was a chore being it's graduation time. We packaged everything up in reusable hawaiian shopping bags and gave them to all the execs and support staff of the company sponsoring the event as well as various people I had personally worked with over the years. The leis made their recipients beam with pride among the 1000 or so conference attendees.
It's little things like that, that can leave an everlasting positive mark with strangers that make people appreciate having "hawaiian" business acquaintances. Maybe a little overboard but this being a last time for me, I figured why not as those coming to these conferences after me may not have the same "aloha at heart" open pocketbook
All those from Hawaii will understand, that's how we were raised.

20+ years ago when I was younger and healthier making compsands and other wood stuff from the scraps, I used to make these koa and wiliwili letter openers. The wiliwili was from a tree that used to stand proudly in front of iolani palace but taken down because of the beetle infestation. I used to give them to the heads of all the companies that either came to visit us or we went out to visit them. Till this day many still email me every now and telling me what a prize possession it is to them and how their children and grand children now ask them about it. They tell them that the crazy person from hawaii gave it to them as a gift for no apparent reason other than being nice.
But its just pure aloha at its core
don't take much, so just do it.
Many here still do

View attachment 154838

View attachment 154839
those are beautiful!

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
Can you imagine the very first folks, that pulled up on a shore on one of these islands for the very first time?
Try to imagine what they saw? and no one else around, but them... that musta been something!

Even with all the stuff that has change this place, the good, the bad and the ugly....

...once in awhile, one can still walk down a shoreline on any of these islands and still see a few things the first guys saw...

might only be just little while but one can still see it....

For a contrast, instead of driving to home over the Pali, sometimes I will cruise right down Bishop st. turn left on Ala Moana blvd. and then drive thru Waikiki and go home the coast way past Sandy beach.

Lots of traffic and concrete at the start of the drive, but by the time you make it to the last bathhouse at Sandy's at the Alan Davis side for a pit-stop. You can still walk out on the rocky shoreline and see Molokai across the Kawi channel, perhaps find a few seashells in the tidepools and feel the trades blowing ....

Hawaii different place now...but some parts, still same.

....I am goingoutside now....I admit, it's a limited view...but once I arrived here, I was never away more than a fortnight...

Reactions: frontsidegrab

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
The view of the Ko'olaus from Kaneohe looking north is really something special and made me think of your comment below
Can you imagine the very first folks, that pulled up on a shore on one of these islands for the very first time?
Try to imagine what they saw? and no one else around, but them... that musta been something!

Reactions: goingoutside

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It really doesn't take much.

My last day at Waco in April and I'm between sessions. Earlier in the day I met a couple from Texas who had their little 9 month old with them. We talked about being new parents and all the ups and downs. Later in the day, I had to check out but still had two session later. So I'm basically living in a cabana by the hotel. They're in the cabana next to me and the dad is gearing up to surf. I asked him what he's going to ride and what fins whatever. But the dad is holding the baby and he says mom has a session first and then he has a session after. I realize that they have overlapping sessions so I offer to hold the baby for the 10-15 minutes when their sessions overlap so they don't have to waste time. They were like no really you don't have to. I said I'm going to take a 10min nap then I got him, his name is Auggie. I take a quick nap (I can only nap 10 minutes since my son was born). Wake up and the mom is half way through her session, I wave to dad and he's like yup. Hands me Auggie and starts to get ready. Me and Auggie walk around the pool and I show him mom ridding waves. He waves to her in the pool. He then took a massive sh!t. I walk back to change him and dad is about to paddle out, dad says don't change him, his wife will do it and I"m doing more than enough. I change him any way cause it's nothing to me. Mom comes in and I tell her to take her time. She takes a shower and changes and take Auggie. They were both so stocked. They said they don't live near family and don't have much help, I told them that I have all my family around me and tons of help so I wanted to pay it forward. They were so so grateful and we're friends on Instagram now and going to go together to Waco next summer. They live near Austin.

I'm not sharing this to sound cool, but to show just how little it takes to share some aloha. Watched Auggie for probably 18 minutes and changed a diaper while I had nothing else to do. Yeah I could have just scrolled on my phone and zoned out, but now I have friends for life!
I have a 7 month old and will book a trip for those same dates . . . Not sure what I’m looking forward to more- 10 minutes of free babysitting while I surf a wave pool or a hug with eye contact, but either way I’m taking you up on it :ROFLMAO: :beer:

• Haha
Reactions: racer1

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Last summer I paddled out to the regular in the dark. Got a wave and paddled back out. There was this guy sitting outside on a longboar. A set rolls in toward him. No way I’m letting some random get the wave of the morning so I chase it down, he sees me coming and doesn’t move a muscle. I get a really good wave and when I paddle back out he says hey T remember me, Mark.

Oh sh*t I didn’t recognize him cause it’s still low light. Mark is a big dude that got a little bigger. Rides a longboar like a shortboar. Good surfer and knew exactly what to do with that situation. We catch up. He just got divorced, had some health problems and recently moved back to Oahu.

I introduce him to all the morning regulars and hoot him into sets. No big deal cause he’s a solid surfer so the waves didn’t go to waste.

Later that day I get a DM on IG from a mutual friend of ours. Mike wanted to thank me for showing Mark some aloha.

Couple months later I get a text from Chris. He just got back from So Cal and randomly met Mike surfing. They talked and Mike found out Chris knows me through skating, surfing and his dad. Mike asked Chris if he could get something to me. Pretty sure Mike showed Chris some aloha as a visitor at his local.

This is what Mike sent me for being nice to our friend that was in an iffy emotional and health state.

IMG_1780.jpeg

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Hawaii and Aloha are alive and well. I just got back from one of the longer trips I've ever been on to the islands-ended up getting extended due to work schedule change. There was aloha everywhere I went. Places you wouldn't expect and for no reason whatsoever. Bustling honolulu? Aloha everywhere. Waikiki? Aloha. Double overhead north shore? You're not going to believe me but duus were so kind out at Sunset that I was taken aback. Telling me what waves to go on, etc (There were only 6 of us out and it was meaty but still).

If you're open to it, aloha is everywhere in that beautiful land. I truly feel bad for those that live there and may be mentally or spiritually blocked in a way that makes them unable to connect with it. It's a special and place and we should all treat it with the respect it deserves. If people keep doing the work I saw while I was there, hawaii will be just fine. Better off than 95% of places, honestly.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I have a 7 month old and will book a trip for those same dates . . . Not sure what I’m looking forward to more- 10 minutes of free babysitting while I surf a wave pool or a hug with eye contact, but either way I’m taking you up on it :ROFLMAO: :beer:
I'm going the last weekend of July this summer for a bachelor party. I haven't had a drink in 2 years and will probably have one beer. We can hug with eye contact and you can take a giant sh!t. I'd prefer it after my one coors light.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hawaii and Aloha are alive and well. I just got back from one of the longer trips I've ever been on to the islands-ended up getting extended due to work schedule change. There was aloha everywhere I went. Places you wouldn't expect and for no reason whatsoever. Bustling honolulu? Aloha everywhere. Waikiki? Aloha. Double overhead north shore? You're not going to believe me but duus were so kind out at Sunset that I was taken aback. Telling me what waves to go on, etc (There were only 6 of us out and it was meaty but still).

If you're open to it, aloha is everywhere in that beautiful land. I truly feel bad for those that live there and may be mentally or spiritually blocked in a way that makes them unable to connect with it. It's a special and place and we should all treat it with the respect it deserves. If people keep doing the work I saw while I was there, hawaii will be just fine. Better off than 95% of places, honestly.
We trying! It's hard during the triple crown season when the asshole train seems endless, but if you visit outside of those dates - aloha is everywhere. Just be chill and wait your turn. We're not going to make you wait your turn your whole session we just want to see if you'll do it the first time.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I am just a fat, bald, lily-white mainland haole and I have had nothing but positive experiences and good vibes on every one of my annual trips. Even in Honolulu, a seething, jam-packed mass of humanity, people are way friendlier and more chill than they would be in *any* comparable city on the mainland. Of course, I always remember I'm just a humble visitor.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Interesting comments - I assume all the people making these comments are actual Hawaii residents.

Local News

But hey, still lots of aloha as long as you keep your head down, stay humble and show fawning "respect" to every local person for the privilege of being allowed to visit Hawaii :)

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
This is how I behave everywhere I travel. You should try it.
More than a few years ago my wife and I were surfing Queens and having a great time. Every once in a while, this woman would just randomely drop in on me and a few others. After the 3rd time, I just there and must have had an exasperated look on my face. That's when her husband paddled over to me, introduced himself and said that she's blind in one eye and had absolutely no peripheral vision. It finally made sense. The locals already knew who she was and gave her any wave she wanted. I learned to do the same and all was good. We talked and traded waves for a couple hours each day for the last three days of our vacation. There was definitely Aloha in the water.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You definitely need a hug with eye contact more. Let's meet up and I'll do the opposite of this:

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I found nothing but
This is how I behave everywhere I travel. You should try it.
Fuk yeah.

Always remember : "everybody hates a tourist", and you'll be golden.

Convict scum here and enjoyed every second I spent in the Hawaiian Islands.

Most of the waves of my life I was called into by locals and thats an incredible feeling.

Same with BBQ's, random beer drinking, whatever.

Enjoying, appreciating and accepting hospitality when it is offered- I try and do the same to travelling surfers here.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I found nothing but

Fuk yeah.

Always remember : "everybody hates a tourist", and you'll be golden.

Convict scum here and enjoyed every second I spent in the Hawaiian Islands.

Most of the waves of my life I was called into by locals and thats an incredible feeling.

Same with BBQ's, random beer drinking, whatever.

Enjoying, appreciating and accepting hospitality when it is offered- I try and do the same to travelling surfers here.
Not everybody hates a tourist. The “tour guides” that bring truckloads/panga loads here don’t hate tourists enough to turn down the money. Doubles the crowd to an unmanageable level even though most are speed bumps. That will only get worse as most of the people that are building here are building rental space.

• Sad
Reactions: Havoc