Hawaii- Done

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
sad, way too young
He, like Ben and Mel was an all time line up enforcer in his prime
You didn't drop in on those guys when they were young.

But he did allot for the local surf community
his contest was all time
best way to get queens all to yourself for a heat or two, especially if it was pumping

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
pics pics
It was a little underwhelming, good call not running the contest. The wind got strong enough for a couple hours to make Backyards look kite-able, wish I brought the gear. Great wave watching all along the NS but the best was probably looking from 3 Tables toward Waimea. Here's the Waimea line up not going:
IMG_0429.jpg

From the house looking at washed out Sunset
IMG_0445.jpg

and outside Rocky Pt to outside Pipe
IMG_0449.jpg

and an outside Pipe megabomb
IMG_0458.jpg

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
It was a little underwhelming, good call not running the contest. The wind got strong enough for a couple hours to make Backyards look kite-able, wish I brought the gear. Great wave watching all along the NS but the best was probably looking from 3 Tables toward Waimea. Here's the Waimea line up not going:
View attachment 145759

From the house looking at washed out Sunset
View attachment 145760

and outside Rocky Pt to outside Pipe
View attachment 145762

and an outside Pipe megabomb
View attachment 145763

think about how stinkin GOOD kahului harbor is right now!...or better yet that super secret hidden reef out in front of the the canoe club hale in the harbor....

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
think about how stinkin GOOD kahului harbor is right now!...or better yet that super secret hidden reef out in front of the the canoe club hale in the harbor....
Yeah, it was cool seeing the NS on a massive swell but I think I missed some fun on Maui. I'm gonna call my friend in a little to find out how the tow and kite sessions went yesterday.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Not being from Oahu, I forgot about the house cleaner murder that happened 5 years ago on the NS and was talked about on the erBB. The banner in front of Sunset Elementary reminded me and I realized the trial has just started. Some gnarly details coming out during police officer testimony.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I know what we've beaten this horse to death but out of town buyers running up RE prices are a big problem anywhere people like to take vacations, like where most of us on this bb live.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
saw a FB post this morning from newly elected state senator and former news reporter now MAGA republican Brenton Awa (defeated longtime incumbant Gil Riviere who owns a mortgage brokerage company in Waialua ) about attacking the problem by upping the HARPTA requirements. Who knows, with the largest freshman class of elected reps and senators, maybe something will happen. But I doubt it, the "machine" is entrenched deep in the bowels of hawaii politics and life.

Also this is another aspect of changing life here and eslewhere, the houseless. Aside from locals versus military battle kicked off by Pohakuloa and Redhill, there's always the growing battle between the haves and the have nots. Listen to this Manoa restaurant owner describe the issue versus the local Mcdonalds franchise king.

Last edited:

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Also this is another aspect of changing life here and eslewhere, the houseless. Aside from locals versus military battle kicked off by Pohakuloa and Redhill, there's always the growing battle between the haves and the have nots. Listen to this Manoa restaurant owner describe the issue versus the local Mcdonalds franchise king.

In the NY City area I'm starting to hear news chatter about taking the mentally ill homeless off the street and putting them into treatment centers whether they want it or not. Sometimes things have to get so bad that there's really only one choice and then the disparate sides can agree or at least one side not really fight it.

I think that a large portion of who is called homeless these days used to be institutionalized until, as I remember it, around 1972 when Geraldo Rivera Rivera did a news expose on Willowbrook Asylum on Staten Island in NY which showed the peeling paint and other bad conditions. After that a lot of those facilities were closed and the people let out. It's been 50 years and we still don't know how to fix a lot of people.

I have a relative who's had recurring depression for over 30 years. In the depths of it she doesn't recognize her husband. Even in the fairly controlled environment of the two of them living alone it took years to get the drug mix right but still when she feels normal she stops taking the pills and hides them around the house. An interesting development is that now he kind of lets her not take the pills because when she goes into the depths she's much quieter and easier to manage. If she's on the pills or halfway on the pills and fairly normal she's got hot oil in the frying pan on high heat then she goes out on the porch on a phone call and forgets about it. She makes a fruit cake she made a thousand times and mails it to us but its all weird and falls apart because she left out ingredients. She calls the whole family and gets involved in all their problems and causes a few of her own by promising money that she never sends and then gets depressed over what she just caused. Physically she's fantastic - she's thin, really healthy and still mows the lawn in her 80's. But I don't think someone like her should really just be on the street alone.

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
saw a FB post this morning from newly elected state senator and former news reporter now MAGA republican Brenton Awa (defeated longtime incumbant Gil Riviere who owns a mortgage brokerage company in Waialua ) about attacking the problem by upping the HARPTA requirements. Who knows, with the largest freshman class of elected reps and senators, maybe something will happen. But I doubt it, the "machine" is entrenched deep in the bowels of hawaii politics and life.

I saw that post by Awa. It was actually super embarassing.

I don’t disagree with the idea that something needs to be done with international buyers trying to park money.

However…

The junior Awa and new rep posted about HARPTA with a complete wrong misunderstanding about it. It showed he was ignorant about the topic and Didn’t take the time to check on it properly before proposing the idea to the public. He did nothing more then use Smoke and mirrors on a topic- something he accused other politicians of doing during his election.

HARTPA isn’t a tax. It’s a withholding during a sale.

Theres no additional taxes levied on out of state residents- never has been.

HARPTA just ensures that out of state owners pay their required taxes since they aren’t required to file a tax return in Hawaii.

He really lost a lot of credibility on that one

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I saw that post by Awa. It was actually super embarassing.

I don’t disagree with the idea that something needs to be done with international buyers trying to park money.

However…

The junior Awa and new rep posted about HARPTA with a complete wrong misunderstanding about it. It showed he was ignorant about the topic and Didn’t take the time to check on it properly before proposing the idea to the public. He did nothing more then use Smoke and mirrors on a topic- something he accused other politicians of doing during his election.

HARTPA isn’t a tax. It’s a withholding during a sale.

Theres no additional taxes levied on out of state residents- never has been.

HARPTA just ensures that out of state owners pay their required taxes since they aren’t required to file a tax return in Hawaii.

He really lost a lot of credibility on that one
well he lost my vote when i saw his video on why he left TV
This was way before he decided to run
seems like there's a new game
run as republican to get in
then switch to democrat once there
question though
is he better or worse than the Kurt and Bob show?

Reactions: bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
well he lost my vote when i saw his video on why he left TV
This was way before he decided to run
seems like there's a new game
run as republican to get in
then switch to democrat once there
question though
is he better or worse than the Kurt and Bob show?
same.

lots now running on Republican side since they can’t seem to crack the hawaii dems.

they all one in the same. they get in and become beholden to special interest.

Same with Makua running and yapping about haoles and corruption leaving out the fact his dad sold drugs and ruined numerous native Hawaiian families to addictIon.