Hawaii- Done

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Dang!! I thought the box jelly was considered deadly. Did you have to go to the hospital or did lifeguards have some sort of antibiotic?
I’m not gonna lie, I thought about going to the ER. It was very painful. No lifeguards so couldn’t ask. Went home and peed on it, put vinegar and then took at hot shower. Nothing helped. It only stopped itching today, 6 days after sting.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I’m not gonna lie, I thought about going to the ER. It was very painful. No lifeguards so couldn’t ask. Went home and peed on it, put vinegar and then took at hot shower. Nothing helped. It only stopped itching today, 6 days after sting.
Where were you when you got tagged?

sounds brutal. When I lived briefly in so cal I was so worried about stingrays

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
The pee thing only works if you have a one legged midget trannie, drunk on absinthe, doing the mictoration for one.

:monkey::poke::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::shameonyou:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Like the Gemini Man I'm severely allergic to bee stings and almost died from a really bad south wind storm surf blue bubble that wrapped around my entire lower body. If I got hit by box jelly I'd probably make'. They are worse than sharks because you can't see them.

My uncle used to dawn patrol swim ala moana park with all the other old farts got hit in the neck and almost died. when its their time I always use knee length compression shorts under my baggies and a long sleeved rashie.

Once many years ago, saw a tough lineup moke at courts have one go up his shorts and nail his ball sack. Didn't seem so mokey after that as he was scream complaining about his balls on fire as he went in. The whole lineup was cracking up.

But if someone yells out they see one I go immediately in. no sense rolling the dice.

They can be in mass numbers, like the man in the grey suit, the ultimate lineup enforcer.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Once many years ago, saw a tough lineup moke at courts have one go up his shorts and nail his ball sack. Didn't seem so mokey after that as he was scream complaining about his balls on fire as he went in. The whole lineup was cracking up.
Hilarious, in a scary sort of way.

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
Like the Gemini Man I'm severely allergic to bee stings and almost died from a really bad south wind storm surf blue bubble that wrapped around my entire lower body. If I got hit by box jelly I'd probably make'. They are worse than sharks because you can't see them.

My uncle used to dawn patrol swim ala moana park with all the other old farts got hit in the neck and almost died. when its their time I always use knee length compression shorts under my baggies and a long sleeved rashie.

But if someone yells out they see one I go immediately in. no sense rolling the dice.

They can be in mass numbers, like the man in the grey suit, the ultimate lineup enforcer.
Years ago, I found out the hard way that a close friend of mine is very allergic to box jelly fish. We were surfing Bowls and he got hit. He started looking pretty bad. This was back in the day when the Kaiser Hospital was located on Ala Moana Boulevard, and we got him out of the water and took him to Kaiser. The admitting desk in Emergency had one look at him and had him wheeled into the back immediately. Some time later, a Doctor came out and asked if we were the ones who brought him in. When were answered him in the affirmative, the thanked us for bringing him in quickly and explained that he was so allergic that if we had delayed seeking treatment for him much longer, he may not have survived. Since that day, I have been very wary about being in the water with them.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Guess one of the homeowners on the "beach" at monster mush had the bright idea of pouring concrete and rebar in the middle of the night trying to shore up his house. Pretty scorched if you ask me, no way this is going to save them and a bunch of people are pissed.

I really wonder what the state is going to do about this. Offer to buy out the property owners, and tell them if they don't take it they'll get a fat bill for cleanup when their house eventually falls into the ocean? Fully expect this winter to be an absolute sh!t show over there.

edit: Anyone know if the little papio are edible? I inevitably catch a couple when I go for bonefish on the northshore cuz those little rats like to follow them and steal food. Worried about getting ciguatera if I eat one.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Can eat them. But I always worry about cig with papio and ulua.

I think you can just get the cig test kit though.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
As a keiki in the 60's-70's our families would lay net and paipai net all weekend for awa and mullet.
That's how we fed the families (awa poke) that came down to spend the weekend together. About a half a dozen intertwined calabash families.
Allot of time we'd catch palani and weke when we'd paipai which was scary with their tail razers.
Everyone treated the palani with their dark leather skin to be garbage fish. The running joke from the adults was that the way to cook palani was to cut slits in the skin and then rub dog sht into the slits and all over the fish. After leaving it on the barbeque for hours you'd scrape off the dog sht, throw away the fish and eat the dog sht which would taste better than the fish.

In reality we would have a keawe wood 50 gal drum hibachi going all day along the beach front and we'd climb up on the roof of our dive hut and get some dried menpachi to cook and eat for ourselves but throw on a couple palani and let it cook all day and rip it open. We'd leave a bunch of hashie around and all the bruddahs coming in from a surf could just sit by the fire and snack as much as they wanted for free. Every kid was family that was taken care of back then. Papio and ulua were treated with respect compared to the palani and sharks we caught. Day's gone for sure. Now there's million dollar Ocean Point homes sitting 30 feet above and overlooking where we grew up like that on the beach front.

Attachments

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
That lifestyle at a moderate income level is gone for good in Hawaii - it can be enjoyed if one moves to Tonga, Fiji, or the Cook Islands, certainly in the provinces of The Philippines, well-outside the money orbit of the United States dollar.

You will be poor by material standards but you will have a nice lifestyle.

But once the shoebox satellite constellations like Starlink and its competitors are up and running, promising high-speed internet connectivity virtually anywhere on earth, then there will be remote workers in some of the more uncrowded surf locations on this planet, like the southern atolls of Maldives, Fiji Vanua Levu, the Cook Islands, The Philippines, Chilean Patagonia or the Aleutians, surfing as much as possible and doing their coding work far, far away from any office and getting paid well.

That will be the end of the "rural lifestyle" in many areas now untouched by 5G mobile phone signal or gigabit fibre connections :)

Last edited: