Hawaii- Done

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
,Johnny Clark, who did the wonderful narration in this video is an old Friend. Punahou boy, like some others who surfed Waikiki, "Pop's", #3's, Ala Moana, Makaha and the north shore of Oahu, we all hung out together at different times. There were no racial tensions, just kids going surfing, going country, going Makaha to see Buff and Momi. We all grew up together so we knew each others surfing capabilities. Pretty much equal.

As we aged, we moved to different circles and lost contact with each other. I recently saw this video and it made me smile thinking how far John had come with his life and the accomplishments that he's made for himself and for the respect that he's brought to Hawaii its self. Very touched by his contribution to Hawaii and it's people.

Last edited:

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
John is a very interesting individual. His lineage is that he is a fifth generation descendant of Kahooilimoku and William Carey Lane.who were married in 1853. Kahooilimoku was the daughter of a family who lived in the Waikiki area. I am confidant to say that John qualifies as a true Waikiki "Local".

• Love
Reactions: PPK96754

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Great Video Oneula!

Lots of interesting history here - watched it last night on Duke's birthday (nice that Duke's Oceanfest is back this year, too!). And John Clark - before our first family trip to Oahu in 2001 I got a copy of his 1977 book The Beaches of Oahu. I read it very carefully and made pencil notes all around a folding paper map I had. His book and then a thick spiral bound Oahu street map book which we used to find CostCo for $1.50 hotdogs and Kmart to buy a stroller for my 3 year old daughter who tired of all the walking were our bibles on that first trip. And a rental car from family-owned Tradewinds near the airport - I miss them - nice people and a great value.

• Love

YeahNo

OTF status
Jan 20, 2017
Kelly's Cove
John is a very interesting individual. His lineage is that he is a fifth generation descendant of Kahooilimoku and William Carey Lane.who were married in 1853. Kahooilimoku was the daughter of a family who lived in the Waikiki area. I am confidant to say that John qualifies as a true Waikiki "Local".
I'd love to wander around with him and just soak up all the stories and history.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Funny to hear the Duke talking like a mainlander.

Really interesting video.
I was adopted. Mom from Ohio. Dad from Oregon. Went to Kamehameha School for Hawaiians. Classmates said I spoke like one Haole. Go figure. ;)
Because of Duke's exploits, swimming records and surfing capabilities, he was surrounded by Caucasian influencer's and language.

My "Hawaiian Dad's" Ohana was from Kohala on the big Island of Hawaii. He was born on Oahu in 1916, spoke fluent Hawaiian yet in some places was told / asked to speak English due to the language "barrier" for the Caucasian / Haole.

Last edited:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Is she saying that America is a "death country"?

No argument, though to be fair, I seem to recall ancient Hawaiians' waring and the ruling class being rather brutal in their treatment of lesser classes.

Jan 4, 2009
San Diego
Wow, being born and raised on Oahu, and learning to surf at the Wall and the other spots in Waikiki, I was blown away at all the history and background that I did not know. Thanks for sharing! Next week I am going on a father-daughter surf trip to Oahu and I will share this video with my daughter while we are there. Mahalo

Reactions: PJ, byoda and Aruka

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
interesting read
Mr Ritte and his henchmen never provided a single paying job to anyone on the island of Moloka'i.

But their repeated criminal actions to sabotage any and all attempts at development on the Ranch deprived hundreds of other residents of a chance to work and provide for their families without accepting welfare benefits from either the state or the federal government.

With the amount of money involved and the lack of knowledge, ideas or experience in how to generate income from the land, a resident-based takeover of the Moloka'i Ranch has little chance of succeeding.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
JSC ... Why was Walter Ritte supposed to prvide jobs for people on Molokai? I do, understand your beef with Walter and the economics involved overt the years that has plagued Molokai and the challenges that it faces. Wai / water, is the source to life and perhaps the largest detriment that Molokai truly faces before peoples needs and wants to go forward.

And I'd hardly call, Dr. Noa Emmet Aluli a henchman, but a participant along with the Protect Kaho'olawe Ohana with George Helm and Kimo Mitchill who lost their lives in trying to get to Kaho'olawe during bad weather. Emmit, is an old Friend as well.
Walter, was part of the original 9.

As a very young boy, my "Haole Mom" was friends with the Murphy Family with George Murphy being the owner of the Molokai Ranch in the mid and late 1950's. I took several trips to the Pu'u O Hoku Ranch landing by private plane on the expansive grassy landing strip and taking an old Willy's jeep to the ranch house. My Mom and I were guests of the Murphy Family and I played with the Murphy kids, thrilled to see cowboys at work on their horses and saw what ranching was all about.
That was many decades ago, yet still refreshing as well as I can remember. Mr. Murphy also owned several car dealerships in Hawaii, one being Aloha Motors that sat on the corners of Atkinson Drive, Kapiolani Blvd & Kalakaua Ave, where a large glass enclosed automobile showroom sat, and a very large used car lot that ran East on Kalakaua to the Ala Was Canal. The Hawaii Convention Center now sits on that very property. Mr. Murphy as I later learned, owned assorted Car dealerships in different states.

Last edited:

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
This article on the Moloka'i Ranch is from 2008 - absolutely nothing has happened in the 14 years since then, with generational welfare now the normal circumstance on the island for those who have not left.

Mr Ritte's agenda benefits no one other than Mr Ritte, but none of what he promised to the residents of Moloka'i has happened.

"As an earlier wave of protests by these same people swept Molokai, the “friendly” island witnessed the 1995 arson attack on the recently renovated Ranch House at Kaupoa, the 1994 fence cutting and poisoning of the Ranch’s exotic African Safari animals, and the 1996 destruction of five miles of Ranch water pipes. More recently, opponents vandalized signs supporting Molokai Ranch’s Laau development, which included plans for 200 luxury homes at Laau Point. But “the community” is expected to fall in line with the protesters—or else"

http://hawaiifreepress.com/Articles-Main/ID/1711/Molokai-Ranch-Protesters-to-Cash-in-with-Takeover-Plan

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
This article on the Moloka'i Ranch is from 2008 - absolutely nothing has happened in the 14 years since then, with generational welfare now the normal circumstance on the island for those who have not left.

Mr Ritte's agenda benefits no one other than Mr Ritte, but none of what he promised to the residents of Moloka'i has happened.

"As an earlier wave of protests by these same people swept Molokai, the “friendly” island witnessed the 1995 arson attack on the recently renovated Ranch House at Kaupoa, the 1994 fence cutting and poisoning of the Ranch’s exotic African Safari animals, and the 1996 destruction of five miles of Ranch water pipes. More recently, opponents vandalized signs supporting Molokai Ranch’s Laau development, which included plans for 200 luxury homes at Laau Point. But “the community” is expected to fall in line with the protesters—or else"

http://hawaiifreepress.com/Articles-Main/ID/1711/Molokai-Ranch-Protesters-to-Cash-in-with-Takeover-Plan
Thank You. I appreciate the banter.

Reactions: JSC