Hawaii- Done

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Mutual Affray. The lead up and both of them pulled over and got out their car.

I disagree because I think for mutual affray you need to see a threat from both sides. A 28 year old against a 70 is not mutual.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
More evidence of the complete incompetence of state officials:

"In a statement, the city Prosecutor’s Office said it worked “closely with HPD on this matter and decided that there wasn’t enough evidence to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.”

Ummmmm - video capturing the assault? What more evidence do you need?
Not incompetence - corruption and evil.

Mutual Affray. The lead up and both of them pulled over and got out their car.

I disagree because I think for mutual affray you need to see a threat from both sides. A 28 year old against a 70 is not mutual.
Aikau was the one who got out and approached. He was clearly the aggressor.

It kinda looks like the 70 year old throws a jab or pushes the 28 year old off before the 28 year old starts punching. Doesn’t excuse The behavior though.
Throwing a jab in that situation is self-defense - a much younger, larger man was approaching him aggressively.

Like @ElOgro said, dirt nap. Beating an old man should be a capital offense.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Carlos, was a Kamehameha School graduate. My brother Joe and he were classmates. I was two years behind them. Carlos lived just down and around the corner from me in Kilauea and the community here feels the loss of his love, aloha and his contributions in Hawaiiana and music that he leaves behind.
Carlos knowledge in Hawaiiana and being a Professor at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, helped broker the deals in the small land plots held by individuals that were part of Mark Zuckerbergs land purchase here on Kauai's north shore.
Carlos was a legend, amongst fellow surfer's for sitting on the Point of Hanalei Bay for an unreasonable amount of time waiting for that ''one wave" and eventually getting That Wave and highlining it from beginning to end for a 100 + yard ride going backside on a searing, quick wave. Unable to prone as he grew older, he went to a smaller, thicker SUP board and everyone knew it was Carlos up on the Point, just waiting for the one wave to give him chicken skin at the end of his ride. Carlos was also known for his surfing abilities at "Infinity's" on the south shore of Kaua'i.
Aloha O'e, Uncle Carlos ~ :waving:

Legends Luau 05.jpg
Legends Luau, Kaua'i 2015
clockwise: Joey Cabell, Dick Brewer, Buzzy Kerbox, Larry Berttelman, Dana Knicely,
Dr. Carlos Andrade & Kimo Hollinger.

Carlos Andrade.jpg
Carlos Andrade, RIP 7-30-2022
photo: Larry Pierce, Oahu's north shore

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I was hoping it was a different Carlos.

While Carlos was teaching at UH Manoa he would surf my regulars. Rockpiles and Bowls. I always showed Carlos the utmost respect. And in return Carlos would tell me when a set was coming and which one he wanted, since he could see them easier on his SUP.

In between sets or in the parking lot he would tell us stories about early days surfing or about music. Carlos wrote Moonlight Lady after graduating from college in his journey to connect to the land and his ancestors. Taj Mahal recorded a version with his Hula Blues Band which Carlos was a member.

Carlos told me a story about surfing huge Haleiwa pre-leash days. This was before buoy readings and weather charts. He was surfing it a little overhead when all of a sudden the horizon when dark. He lost his board and got flushed to the channel. He had to swim as hard as he could to reach the red buoy. Luckily the last boat coming in at dusk heard him screaming and waving and rescued him.

Aloha and mahalo Carlos.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Andrade is actually Galician (NW Spain, above Portugal) in origin, from a small town called Pontedeume, or "Eume River Bridge"... been there many many times, as we used to summer there every August as children and knew and surfed with hundreds of Andrades at Pantin, where the QS makes its local stop.

Andrade name origins

:jamon::waving::shaka:

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
"What a sustainable model of tourism might look like. But in general, you’re going to have people who think 6 million visitors a year is enough. And you’re going to have others saying we can do 10 million again"

Hawaii - not done?

Interview with John De Fries, the first native Hawaiian to lead the state’s tourism authority -

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/12/travel/sustainable-tourism-hawaii.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&fbclid=IwAR3Fzj6Qfd41DzcAywNl-KkwKkXYq9l97srnY-YT56B8OQmqnQY6Yu7tHbk

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Telling people NOT to come to Hawaii isn't the solution to over tourism - that will just make everyone in Hawaii poorer and living there even more difficult for those who are not millionaires already.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I mean I get the appeal of visiting. Prob fun. but damn the food here is mediocre at best. The museums are complete jokes compared to other major cities and the nightlife is nothing like other cities.