Hawaii- Done

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I was just thinking yesterday surfing after smoking a bowl how in the 1990s in Hawaii the "F" word was what all the kids called each other. lol.

Now its equivalent to the N word.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Do actual Hawaiians find it disrespectful for all these non Hawaiians(blood or multi generation residents) naming their kids Hawaiian names?

Reactions: Boneroni

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
As a Native Hawaiian I don’t find it offensive. If anything, it’s flattering. People appreciating Hawaiian culture and using the words/names keeps the culture and language alive. Could be worse.

As my uncle Kazu Kauinana says, “Brah, at least we never got genocided, ah?”

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Sucks what happened and the annexation was totally illegal.

But all things considered it was without bloodshed or tribal fighting.

Other places like places in Africa weren’t so lucky. Where they enslaved everyone and cut their hands off for not working hard enough.

More or less the US took it cause of strategic value and location for military bases.

Reactions: PPK96754 and racer1

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
Sucks what happened and the annexation was totally illegal.

But all things considered it was without bloodshed or tribal fighting.

Other places like places in Africa weren’t so lucky. Where they enslaved everyone and cut their hands off for not working hard enough.

More or less the US took it cause of strategic value and location for military bases.
Your assessment of US taking it for strategic military value is spot on. The 90% Native die off from European diseases starting in the late 1700s was fvcked up.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Does anyone know anything about building a house in Hawaii? From ground up. Luxury build. How much is a luxury build? I am hearing 500 sf from some reputable friends in the industry. Some are saying 250 for standard. I am so far out my element I don't know where to start.

Recommendations?

I don't even know where to begin.

Do I see an architect to draw what I have in mind then go to a contractor?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Need engineering plans before you can get a building permit, right?

If you want to do it cheap and have some drafting skills, draw up what you think you want, take it to construction/engineering firm, explain the materials you want, let them do the finish work to submit to building/planning of local govt of ok to proceed.

When we redid our front stairs, had to get engineering plans to latest building code/earthquake specs before anything else (should have taken plans and hired different contractors, but that aspect is water under the bridge).

Turns out the guy who did the plans for the permit used to work in SF Bldg/Planning...did this sort of work on the side as he was "retired".

Reactions: bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Need engineering plans before you can get a building permit, right?

If you want to do it cheap and have some drafting skills, draw up what you think you want, take it to construction/engineering firm, explain the materials you want, let them do the finish work to submit to building/planning of local govt of ok to proceed.

When we redid our front stairs, had to get engineering plans to latest building code/earthquake specs before anything else (should have taken plans and hired different contractors, but that aspect is water under the bridge).

Turns out the guy who did the plans for the permit used to work in SF Bldg/Planning...did this sort of work on the side as he was "retired".
Is an engineer same as architect? Do I still need an architect?