Hawaii- Done

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Wind and some rain ... We skated on Kauai. The Hanalei Bridge barely got to 5 feet. The Road into / out of Hanalei closes at 8 feet. (Monday night) Tuesday, overcast in the morning, clearing in the afternoon. Windy. No rain. Cool evening. Midnight. No rain. Light wind.
Ni NI ....

mpequignot

OTF status
Nov 4, 2009
"The highway on Kauai's East side was clogged with cars in one particular area and Kealia Beach was glassy with crispy little waves."

That was a few days ago? Saw a crap load of cars parked on the side of the highway and thought it was someone having a party but making everyone park on the road. I don't normally see cars there at all if that's the same spot. That said...saw a few spots here REALLY light up recently.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
"The highway on Kauai's East side was clogged with cars in one particular area and Kealia Beach was glassy with crispy little waves."

That was a few days ago? Saw a crap load of cars parked on the side of the highway and thought it was someone having a party but making everyone park on the road. I don't normally see cars there at all if that's the same spot. That said...saw a few spots here REALLY light up recently.
About a week ago. When the winds switch up and Kealia gets glassy the" car park" on the side of the road "by the gate" is pumping. Stop next time and walk out to the left over the hill.

Reactions: frontsidegrab

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
About a week ago. When the winds switch up and Kealia gets glassy the" car park" on the side of the road "by the gate" is pumping. Stop next time and walk out to the left over the hill.
Had one of my most fun surfs on kauai at glassy kealia when Hanalei was flat. Hope to score it again sometime!

Reactions: PPK96754

mpequignot

OTF status
Nov 4, 2009
Will do! "By the gate" is definitely where I saw everyone. Didn't know there was public access there but lots of places here are like that I suppose. There's a place by me where I didn't see anyone all year until recently.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Will do! "By the gate" is definitely where I saw everyone. Didn't know there was public access there but lots of places here are like that I suppose. There's a place by me where I didn't see anyone all year until recently.
Tread carefully it’s a heavy localized spot.

I ain’t one to talk, I was just sort of rightfully chastised on this very issue last week when I gave a vague description of my spot selection strategy over a 20 mile stretch of coastline here at home. That spot, some, but not all of us, know about it, and it is I believe one of the last semi secret localized gems that rarely truly fires, and when it does, it’s local or by invite only. But my intel could be 17 years out of date from when I was lucky enough to surf it. For all I know it’s a free for all zone now, but I doubt it. In all my trips back since, I haven’t once had real west winds, so I never checked it. Saw some trucks occasionally but nothing that indicated some epic Session was underway. And I’ve been on that island 8 weeks in the last 7 years. im certainly not “claiming that” I only say it to mean I’ve been there a bunch in recent years so I’m not totally out of touch.

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
uncle you should be ashamed of yourself :roflmao: :p :shaka: :waving:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Nope! 4th largest in the Island chain. Population, 73,000+. One, can drive from one end of Kaua'i to the other end AND drive to the top of Koke'e and back down to One's starting point in 9 to 10 hours give or take depending on traffic .... which is decidingly becoming quite crowded on the asphalt.
Yup.. outed a place ... and reconfirmed by you. ;) It's not a secret ~
Now everyone knows about it. But, ya got to be driving by the day that it's going off ...
If the cars aren't there, lots of old sugarcane gates still in operation too ... scratch yer head
No worry,, beef curry ~ bum by pau

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah I don’t even think that walk is public access. I’ve heard of guys being chased off by Bruddha’s with shotguns lol

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Yeah I don’t even think that walk is public access. I’ve heard of guys being chased off by Bruddha’s with shotguns lol
Rumour at one time when the area became developed and cleared along the county built bike pathway. Security overstepped themselves. Rent a cop's do security now along the roads of the "gated community." The area surfed is in undeveloped scrub land and surfed on very rare occasions.
all pau, lau lau .....

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Dude come on, work with me here. We’re trying to preserve a spot. Won’t someone think of the children!?
bruddahs with shotguns dude, with a record. And if that ain’t enough, the next beach south is the gay pick up beach NTTIAWWT

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Dude come on, work with me here. We’re trying to preserve a spot. Won’t someone think of the children!?
bruddahs with shotguns dude, with a record. And if that ain’t enough, the next beach south is the gay pick up beach NTTIAWWT
AND now, there's a parking lot, public bathrooms and a paved walking path to THAT very area where Mom's n' Dad's take there kids. The by-gone days are by-gone'd ....
and You've gone from plump to yoga skinny...
2022 is quickly approaching

:shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Lol, trying to protect a spot ~5,000 miles away. most of us know that zone already. it's a shorter flight there than it is to you in NY for us on the west coast. Many of us are over there quite often.

mpequignot

OTF status
Nov 4, 2009
If it makes everyone feel better, I think my carpenter told me about the spot a month or two ago (I live on the island these days and own a house here). That said...he didn't tell me exactly where. And, I've been to the other place mentioned for sure. As for localism, I'll stand by what I always say...no one Hawaiian has ever given me trouble, vibed me, etc. The only times I've ever even had words in the water with anyone...they were either in California or Californians in Hawaii...so go figure. Ah...and some older caucasian lady screamed expletives at me (and told me to go back to the mainland) - in front of my three year old - because my wife asked her to control her dogs around my kids (an encounter I didn't even witness...she figured out who I was because of my kid). But I'm always polite, not greedy...and it doesn't hurt that I'm not small (by surfer standards especially...). Anyway...the particular day I saw it (probably on the way to the new Target) there were LOTS of cars. The one thing I won't do around here though is leave a car parked alongside the road anywhere near Anahola. Seems like they all get flipped upside down like toys. Quite amusing actually.

Reactions: racer1 and Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
If it makes everyone feel better, I think my carpenter told me about the spot a month or two ago (I live on the island these days and own a house here). That said...he didn't tell me exactly where. And, I've been to the other place mentioned for sure. As for localism, I'll stand by what I always say...no one Hawaiian has ever given me trouble, vibed me, etc. The only times I've ever even had words in the water with anyone...they were either in California or Californians in Hawaii...so go figure. Ah...and some older caucasian lady screamed expletives at me (and told me to go back to the mainland) - in front of my three year old - because my wife asked her to control her dogs around my kids (an encounter I didn't even witness...she figured out who I was because of my kid). But I'm always polite, not greedy...and it doesn't hurt that I'm not small (by surfer standards especially...). Anyway...the particular day I saw it (probably on the way to the new Target) there were LOTS of cars. The one thing I won't do around here though is leave a car parked alongside the road anywhere near Anahola. Seems like they all get flipped upside down like toys. Quite amusing actually.
I hear ya, and yes, even the local spots, if you give respect and paddle out with polite and deferential confidence, you should have no problems. I was just stirring the pot because I got grief talking about my own home island lol

spots got a great name that colorfully describes how shallow and dangerous even the locals feel it is