Hawaii- Done

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Surf was going off this morning. The best I've seen the east side in awhile. Hope everyone scored. Hawaii - Not done.

The Tokoro 4X I bought after some feedback in this thread is amazing. Took me a little bit of time to dial in but now it is my go to board when it's pumping.

Jan 4, 2009
San Diego
2nd day of fun, 2 - 4+ surf at the bay. Get planny young wahine's in the water riding fun / longboards. Trippy. Some driving Taco's or Four Runners ... Island Girl'z ~ ~ ~ :cool:
Thanks for the surf update. Stoked to being back on Kauai for a couple of weeks beginning on Saturday. Looks like there will be swell! Aloha PPK

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Another deliberately set fire destroying surfboard storage racks in Waikiki - does someone really hate longboarders or is it just a typical pyromaniac that knows surfboards are petrochemical popsicles that burn spectacularly well?

Surfboard Rack Burns -

Last edited:

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Another deliberately set fire destroying surfboard storage racks in Waikiki - does someone really hate longboarders or is it just a typical pyromaniac that knows surfboards are petrochemical popsicles that burn spectacularly well?

Anoterh Surfboard Rack Burns -
I saw the first fire at the racks next to the Moana Surfrider as it started. We were walking right across the street - 8 of us. Kalakaua Street was crowded - around 8 pm. To see people inside the Moana's Diamond wing, in their rooms before the hotel fire alarm went off, with no idea that huge flames were licking at the side of side of the hotel was scary - those of us on the street were yelling to them to get out - it was almost like the unsuspecting people in the Tsunami videos - so very weird that you could see them through their windows just doing their normal things having no idea that something which could kill them was happening.

Then I saw that the natural gas service and gas meter to the Diamond Wing is right there in the front of the surfboard storage space - I got us all a block well away fast and we kept going for a bit, I could see as we went that the fire alarm had gone off by then and hotel staff knew about the fire and were evacuating the hotel.

But I thought that for sure they would not re-open that board storage until they put an automatic sprinkler system or some sort of fire suppression system - maybe like what they have above self-service gas pumps. Especially with that gas service there. Whomever is lighting these fires is really scum. Fire near high occupancy buildings and places of assembly can really be deadly - even the stampede can kill. And there's wacky stuff you'd never think of, like if the wind shifts suddenly, blinding people driving and crossing the street.

Reactions: JSC

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location

Anoterh Surfboard Rack Burns -
It’s unreal! I have the same questions. Still huhu about the contracts or just wanna watch stuff burn?

Oh yeah JSC I have been working with Don King a lot lately, what an unreal guy, you Punahou grads not half bad :p

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
photo taken yesterday from the porch of a friends hawaii beach house on makaha point by the condo. You can paddle straight out to the lineup in a couple of minutes. Punani on the sand everywhere. Now that he's retired, he also bought a place in costa rica, his normal home is in point loma where he used to surf the cliffs every morning before work (corporate lawyer) and a place in taos for skiing. Building his own 2 seater plane while taking flying and glider lessons the past 3 years. He's been slowing moving part of his stake out of the market into assets he can cash out and re-invest back in after the coming crash for the next cycle. Hawaii not done.

Makaha.jpg

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
start up struggles, like trying to build driver base to accommodate rider requests simultaneously.
we are seeing some complaints with trying to secure rides during not peak hours. growth issues.
our drivers are taking holoholo requests over Uber/Lyft though, so that is positive.
overall we are scaling, but I think it has more to do with rental cars being so expensive so more ridesharing volume.
rising tide raising all ships.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I think you have a 1-2 year window before the rental car market returns to normal. Probably have to pivot to rail last mile or servicing the new kakaako no car condo jungle residents who bought in on the rail line. Also I think servicing kupuna to the shopping centers and back is another option work a deal with AARP maybe? Allot of kupuna need to be off the road after a certain age.

Reactions: racer1

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I use holoholo everytime I go neighbor island for work. I schedule the pick up night before and picks me up at the airport.

No complaints and happy to spend it on a local company over Uber and Lyft given the choice

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think you have a 1-2 year window before the rental car market returns to normal. Probably have to pivot to rail last mile or servicing the new kakaako no car condo jungle residents who bought in on the rail line. Also I think servicing kupuna to the shopping centers and back is another option work a deal with AARP maybe? Allot of kupuna need to be off the road after a certain age.
yes we are working on a few govt contracts that help with kūpuna. Gov is very supportive of a local ridesharing option.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I think Lyft and Uber seem to dominate mostly cause no one knows about holoholo.

I think it’ll get their piece of the market share in time