Hawaii- Done

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Speaking of base, I'm sure we all have stories of running from MPs.

I remember one time my friends got caught surfing Zombies. We used to swing around the fence and walk to the channel. Well one day the MPs were hiding out and caught my friends. The MP told my friend he was going to cut them a break and not take them to jail since they were just teenagers. He put them in his Jeep and drove them to the back gate and told them to walk home. No shoes, no shirts, and just boards. lol. My one buddy asked what he was supposed to do since he lived far away and the MP just shrugged and said to figure it out. They were stocked though that no phone calls to parents were made.

Could you imagine if a police officer did that today??

Another memory is they used to take your boards. Caught trespassing? They would impound your board for 6 months. An eternity when you were a grom trying to get by with whatever board you could afford by working at fast food places during the summer. Now I just shake my head when I see 10 year olds with quivers worth more than my car and their parents videoing taping them from the beach.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
Speaking of base, I'm sure we all have stories of running from MPs.

I remember one time my friends got caught surfing Zombies. We used to swing around the fence and walk to the channel. Well one day the MPs were hiding out and caught my friends. The MP told my friend he was going to cut them a break and not take them to jail since they were just teenagers. He put them in his Jeep and drove them to the back gate and told them to walk home. No shoes, no shirts, and just boards. lol. My one buddy asked what he was supposed to do since he lived far away and the MP just shrugged and said to figure it out. They were stocked though that no phone calls to parents were made.

Could you imagine if a police officer did that today??

Another memory is they used to take your boards. Caught trespassing? They would impound your board for 6 months. An eternity when you were a grom trying to get by with whatever board you could afford by working at fast food places during the summer. Now I just shake my head when I see 10 year olds with quivers worth more than my car and their parents videoing taping them from the beach.
i lived in aikahi and at times had id but always had a gold sticker you MF i want see some snap in that salute

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
We used to bring Punahou School 1841 Buff and Blu friends into KMCAS in the trunk.

Four boards on top, two people in the car, gold sticker on the bumper, the MP's never seemed to make the connection. Marines don't need to be smart, they need to follow orders or men die.

Loud thumps and shouts of "Let me out!" - not that far to the parking area, so leave them in there until parked and take a good look around for any MP's before opening the trunk. Good times with SW winds -

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Wait. Do you even live in HAwaii?
lived on oahu for 5 years, thankful to have gotten out. too much sh!t traffic and crowds, bunch of dumb mokes too ;)
nice place otherwise, still has problems like everywhere else.

Last edited:

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
No need too. Got access to better spots then NS.
I surfed on base more then anyone for about 6 years, best thing was when I lost my golden ticket and got busted. I was forced to surf the NS. If you think Base is better then the NS great for you, you're lucky. My opinion is that the base has the most surfable days of anywhere on the the island but most days are onshore junk. About 20 days a year the winds are good and it's not flat, some of those days the NS will be junk so base will be better then the NS on those days. As for the base getting as good as the NS is on a good day, I'd say it happens a couple times a decade.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I surfed on base more then anyone for about 6 years, best thing was when I lost my golden ticket and got busted. I was forced to surf the NS. If you think Base is better then the NS great for you, you're lucky. My opinion is that the base has the most surfable days of anywhere on the the island but most days are onshore junk. About 20 days a year the winds are good and it's not flat, some of those days the NS will be junk so base will be better then the NS on those days. As for the base getting as good as the NS is on a good day, I'd say it happens a couple times a decade.
Better? No.

More convenient and good enough for those of us that aren't pro level rippers trying to maintain a contract? Definitely. Country is filled with instagram kooks, local pros, and transplants trying to make a name for themselves. I'd rather surf onshore closeouts than deal with it.

Plus going to country is big time suck unless you live in central Oahu or on the NS. Most people with families can't just disappear for 5 to 6 hours every weekend. Just the traffic jams make the whole experience a turn off.

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
Better? No.

More convenient and good enough for those of us that aren't pro level rippers trying to maintain a contract? Definitely. Country is filled with instagram kooks, local pros, and transplants trying to make a name for themselves. I'd rather surf onshore closeouts than deal with it.

Plus going to country is big time suck unless you live in central Oahu or on the NS. Most people with families can't just disappear for 5 to 6 hours every weekend. Just the traffic jams make the whole experience a turn off.
in the day id be hitchhiking board under arm on the bay drive an hour or so laters id be @ ehukai

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Good. Pls tell your friends to stay north of Kawela Bay and inside the circus tent.

East side got no waves

• Love
Reactions: teeroi and Muscles

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
mokes - Kurt Lum if you know

Bag Poi

Its the frequency that's the problem a 10 year+ cycle would be better than the typical 5 otherwise it's just an extended vacation

Then there was the slipah discussion you need a quivah

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I know Kurt Lum. Surfed with his wife Terry, on Saturday. He recently had a knee replacement or could be hip. She said he’s almost ready to surf again.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
classmate that I haven't seen since the 70's
heard he chased many a visitor in at mokes his home break including Sri's son
hardcore wildman from high school days, original G-land crew from what I heard.
Still haven't really gotten over my knee replacement from 2017 with another soon to come.

If you see him in the lineup tell him his old KS classmate BA from Ewa Beach said aloha maybe he'll remember I think he played waterpolo with us back then.
If you know Kurt you must know my other classmate Brian Higa or his brother Sueo Higa they both lifeguarded. I think Brian is still guarding out west. We saw Sueo at Sri's funeral.

Sri's father Alvin, my father, and Brian Amona's father Bill were also classmates at KS. Alvin became a power broker for the machine, Bill became a powerful judge, my dad joined the army.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I know Brian Higa. He’s lifeguarding at Second Dip. This summer we got cleaned out by a set at Middles and Brian’s board hit him on his head. Missing his eye by millimeters. He was bleeding pretty good. I told him I’ll paddle him in but he said no need. But I stayed by him and paddled him to the Ala Wai Channel asking him questions and just talking to him. Saw him last week he said he got 18 stitches and was concussed. He was grateful I paddled him to the channel and waited for him to exit the water before paddling back out.

Sri’s brother Nueman has been surfing a lot lately. Brian has lit the fire in him again. Good surfer as is Brian.

Amona goes by Byron again. I’m on friendly terms with him. BA is at the top of the pecking order any where I see him surf.

Kurt and his brother Merv were a handful if you crossed them. Glad I’ve been on good terms with both. Got scolded by Kurt for unintentionally dropping in on one of the regulars at the spot where Kurt lives. Told me my excuse sounded like an h-word. Got a lecture about friendly fire and save your bullets for the kook visitors. Actually any non-locals.

Reactions: Boneroni

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Oh yeah. Here’s a good story about Kurt. I can’t remember his name but he is a retired NS lifeguard lieutenant. Possibly a Kamehameha 1887 alum. Anyway he paddled out to Kurts spot by his house on an SUP and started grabbing. Kurt yelled at him. Something like I’ve known you all my life and you’ve always been a dick and I’m going to beat the cr*p out of you. SUP duu paddles in as fast as possible and he sees a couple on the beach and asks if they have a cell phone. Yes. He tells the guy call 911 I’m going to get assaulted. Guy and gf tell him to f*ck off. Turns out it was Kurt’s son. SUP guy escapes cause Kurt wasn’t going chase him down the beach. SUP duu hasn’t surfed that spot since.