Hawaii- Done

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
And not only tapes, but posts it.

Darwinism a la inversa, I tell ya!

We're all doomed!

Totally unrelated, but to the point of "our devolution"... Today returning from the store, I came across a lady in a small two door trying to run a loose dog down. Was able to pass her, cut her off from her 'intent' and give the dog wide enough birth to get out of the roadway without having to jump down the volcanoes cliff.. the other side not even a mountain goat could've got up. Lady road rages me all the way to the turn off to the town where I live, and turns off behind me. When I pull over and roll the window down to see WTF her problem was, she basically tells me she was trying to do the "right thing" by killing the stray, and thus putting it out of its misery. Small child in her child seat in back mind you. I was left unresponsive, and completely blown away. WTactualF is wrong with people these days?

:shrug::crazy2::barf:
People are messed up.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Almost done or medium well?
Unlike Las Vegas or Orlando where there further and further out you can push them, when the servant class have no place to live, there's no servants any more for the theme park intruders, except for the very rich.
Then it starts to crumble apart.

Just ask Genshiro Kawamoto what to expect

send him to hawaii

Listen to the tita

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Hawaii is ridiculously expensive.

Middle class going to be shoved into McCully/Moilili area and west.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
it's ideal and spot on but unfortunately I think most of these politicians that are making the decisions big donors (construction, real estate, tourism) all want build build build more more more. uphill battle for sure.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Mahalo. Might be hard to get a ride last minute as we are still growing, but if you schedule a pickup, then a driver will be there 100% of the time (they are heavily incentivized on scheduled pickups).

I think like 95% of our drivers are also Lyft/Uber drivers, so it's the same product from a user standpoint. Although, we promise not to do any surcharge hours. Flat rate all the time. The owner is born and raised haole guy on Maui who started SpeedyShuttle and has been in transportation for 20+ years. He's hates Uber/Lyft treats their drivers. He's paying better than them. Cares about Hawaii and is taking his shot, although he's said he'd be happy if it just broke even. Also, he has gotten some govt assistance behind closed doors, I don't know the details of that, but HI govt doesn't like Uber/Lyft either.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Teacher man would have had his savings go a lot longer in any third world destination... :socrazy:

Not to mention the impact to the community difference.

Viva la vast deferance.

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
Oneula is that Aiwao Leota in your profile pic??? Haha pretty awesome
I believe that is Alema Leota.
I saved my "Alema Leota for Governor" t-shirt from decades ago. Given to me by his family during his run for Governor of the State of Hawaii. Come across it in my storage area every so often, and reminds me of old school Hawaii and the good times of that time period.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I believe that is Alema Leota.
I saved my "Alema Leota for Governor" t-shirt from decades ago. Given to me by his family during his run for Governor of the State of Hawaii. Come across it in my storage area every so often, and reminds me of old school Hawaii and the good times of that time period.
Alema! Right. Aiwao is the son. Out here by me there are plenty of Leotas!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Very complimentary article.

Update: we definitely had growing pains in the first month. Our small amount of drivers were maxed out and riders had to schedule rides, they couldn't just get one after opening app. But we've steadily increased our drivers, I found a email list of thousands of local uber/lyft drivers online from a political forum about ridesharing law petitions and setup ads/email blast for that list.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I am not sure Alema had a son named Alwao, but the Father of Alema was Alwao Leota. Hawaii was pretty much a different world in those days, some things better and somMy e not.
You could see the "boys" at the Don Ho Show, Al Harrington Show, The Surfer's at The Hong Kong Junk at the Ilikai, The Sons of Hawaii ( Gabby Pahinui, Atta Issacs, Eddie Kamai etc) on Sand Island road on Sand Island and later in Waikiki ~ My Hawaiian Dad was a stevedore for McCabe and drank at the Sand Box and knew the boys and they knew my Dad, Nalua.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Oneula is that Aiwao Leota in your profile pic??? Haha pretty awesome
yup Alema Leota
I had Nappy up for a while
Next is Larry, see how many recognize that one.
went to school with Cory RIP, learned hula from Wilfred Pulawa and did a concert at McNeil for Nappy
underground hero timeline. Nappy>Alema>Larry>Miske
was using Joe earlier, surprised none of the surf crew recognized him

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
The Rainbow Hut in Hauula was their spot back in the day, it's something different now but still has same vibe. No one goes there. We used to call it Rambo Hut, scrap every night

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I recognized Joe, but only because I knew that photo. Only met him once at centers many years ago. Had a few of his boards, one of which is similar to the Akila Aipa Flat Earth that I've recently acquired. Wonder if it's a distant relative... ?