Hawaii- Done

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
We might be returning to normal. Went out on Wednesday morning and there were 6 people out sharing waves. Just the regular old guy dawn patrol crew getting some reps in before work.

Dawn patrol for the past year was filled with dumb kooks, groms who should be in school, and every person who started teleworking. Seems everyone has gone back to their normal routine and aren't clogging the lineups.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Been laid out flat since monday with severe vertigo. Seems to be a recurring issue with me these past years and I attribute it for not surfing and getting that healing saltwater stuck in my ear to clean things out. My inner ears are telling me I need some severe flushing.
My wife has been having vertigo issues lately. A couple of common problems, I've learned, are an inner ear infection that can last weeks but eventually goes away, and crystals in the inner ear. Nothing you can do about an infection, antibiotics don't work because it's viral. For crystals, you can do a thing called the Epley Maneuver that gives instant relief. There's a bunch of videos on YouTube on how to do it.

Hope you get over it soon, I know how much it sucks.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Around 2001, I made a woods trail in the woods behind my old high school, neighborhood woods/party spot from my hometown.
It's flat around here and to make trails interesting you gotta develop technical like runs and link them together, use the trail throughout the various weather events and let things evolve.
Point is, I went on a MTB forum which I knew was represented locally and ADVERTISED "my trail" to get some help with breaking it in and creative input from others along the evolution.
It never got many visitors but I rode it with this semii-pro guy and his friends.

I would never do that surf related unless it was maliciously plotted to ensure max donkeydom.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Around 2001, I made a woods trail in the woods behind my old high school, neighborhood woods/party spot from my hometown.
It's flat around here and to make trails interesting you gotta develop technical like runs and link them together, use the trail throughout the various weather events and let things evolve.
Point is, I went on a MTB forum which I knew was represented locally and ADVERTISED "my trail" to get some help with breaking it in and creative input from others along the evolution.
It never got many visitors but I rode it with this semii-pro guy and his friends.

I would never do that surf related unless it was maliciously plotted to ensure max donkeydom.
I guess would also depend on where you are as well.

Tragedy of the commons situation

Reactions: Chocki
May 26, 2021
My wife has been having vertigo issues lately. A couple of common problems, I've learned, are an inner ear infection that can last weeks but eventually goes away, and crystals in the inner ear. Nothing you can do about an infection, antibiotics don't work because it's viral. For crystals, you can do a thing called the Epley Maneuver that gives instant relief. There's a bunch of videos on YouTube on how to do it.

Hope you get over it soon, I know how much it sucks.
The Epley maneuver did the trick for me--I had about three months of vertigo earlier this year, and it sucked. I thought for sure I had an inner ear infection, but apparently not. I finally did the Epley maneuver, and having my eyes roll around uncontrollably (nystagmus) was quite the experience. 5 minutes doing this Epley thing, and the vertigo was GONE.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
You could say it was kinda of a bummer when Dave Riddle would show up at backyards and get on his phone to inform his young team how it was

That was a long time ago
Nothing ever stays the same.

Same could be said with snowboarding and mountains putting cameras and snow reports

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
As a transplant MTBer I have infiltrated that culture in Hawaii (Maui at least) and can tell you exactly what the problem is. On the Mainland there's usually plenty of land. There's often plenty of fun trails and you can usually get away with building some pirate trails with jumps. When those trails are discovered the woods cops may be mad but the general public doesn't usually mind that some people built more trails in the woods. When those people come to Hawaii they see decent size expanses of open and forested land, not many MTB trails, and very few fun/jump trails so they want to build on the DL. They don't realize that with much less land available the woods cops are stricter and the public doesn't share as relaxed a view of people building pirate trails. A bunch of pirate trails in Makawao Forest were recently destroyed and the public seemed to side with the DLNR.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Big surprise. Transplants only caring about themselves and trashing the place right before they leave.

Just saw someone on facebook posting an add for rides to the Kaneohe bay sandbar for money. Also advertised they'd take them to east side surf spots for a price. Just transplants doing transplant things.

Someone posted and said if I see that boat out at east side spots then the anchor line will be cut. Hawaii - Not done. lol.

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
mountain biking has changed as bikes & equipment are much better enabling more radical riding, I think the older school rider you are the less you will understand this truth. ---The trails need to evolve as well.

covid and some wandering hippies really hyped things up, the forest is a zoo now just like the water park we all like to play in.
My argument is more trails will spread users out creating less conflicts...

documenting footage is always a problem, especially if the look at me wannabe's have anything to do with it

seems like the pupukea scene i saw recently was pretty cool., mostly just one guy experimenting with a harder line, was all dirt what i saw. no wood, no structures, no problem? i dunno, not my zone.