Hawaii- Done

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
College is expensive enough and the returns aren’t exactly guaranteed that while it’s a very worthwhile experience I agree with Mike about it vs the trades

All my friends in the trades make as much as I do with muh edumacayshun. I have advanced technical degrees too.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
patreon and shopify (can't believe this young kid runs shopify kind of like stripe)
two most important "enablers" for the new generation of businesses

another story for people who actually really make and sell or do stuff

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You can sell stuff online that you actually make and be 'enabled' by Shopify. Artists are also enable via patreon.
Those services really streamline commerce and make it easy to get into, but like the big social media platforms, they own you if you use them.

Reactions: Boneroni

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Those services really streamline commerce and make it easy to get into, but like the big social media platforms, they own you if you use them.
Shopify has a ton of competitors so if they up their prices or whatever you can easily go elsewhere. E-commerce is not that hard to do yourself these days, btw. I'm not too familiar with the Patreon type of service but it's basically e-commerce that you could also do yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
You post nothing but dystopian tripe that mostly goes unresponded. I don’t need to have kids to point out that the “kids these days” and “world is going to hell” narratives are as old as the spoken word itself.
I feel the same about the 'have to have kids to comment on kids'. I coached middle and high school aged kids for 12 years straight before having a kid, way bigger sample size. Even after having my own kid, still feel the same.

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I feel the same about the 'have to have kids to comment on kids'. I coached middle and high school aged kids for 12 years straight before having a kid, way bigger sample size. Even after having my own kid, still feel the same.
Agreed, thank you. I’m not giving unsolicited parenting advice or telling someone how they should think/feel about something.

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
Pretty much the last 6 posts above are a fair assessment of surfing on the south side, commonly called "town".
From about May thru the beginning of September, this is kinda what you get...

...most of the time....

However, about every 5 - 10 years, by chance, a swell may roll into Town that can wake you up from the summer doldrums and sometimes remind you that you still have to be ready to ride some good size waves, even though it's not the norm for that size, at that time of year.

Some times I go back and watch some older footage as a reminder to be ready, just in case this is "the" summer that one or two swells roll in from the southern direction that have enough energy to make you just a little nervous, as you turn around and paddle into your first one...

Rare for sure, but it still happens once in awhile....

Here's a couple from 10 -15 years ago. (There have been more recent ones I think, but I can't remember what years.)

Maalaea Freight Trains Maui Surfing - YouTube

Biggest Ala Moana surf in 10 years - YouTube

Some of those guys on Maui got the ride of their lives!

Note : These are not secret spots and the footage has been on the internet for years.

....I am goingoutside now....stay ready, you never know what summer...those sets are going to show up...way outside!

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I like Town. But I commuted to town from the Windward side for high school and college. I was so over the drive by the time I graduated. I rarely get the motivation to drive there to surf.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
I would've felt the same, although in the 80's the traffic seemed more predictable. Town was the closest side to me. Had a couple good friends who lived in Kailua. Da Bust ride was long back to/from town when couldn't catch ride!

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I still remember that 2011 swell.

There was a spot on the other side of the harbor but still facing south and going off. Like nothing I ever seen.