Hawaii- Done

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
So, Night Marchers is like the Boogey Man or something?

Anyone have a decent, non-wikipedia, link to learn more about this?

Here there's the "Luces de Mafasca"... (Mafasca Lights) which if you've been good, will lead you home... if not so much, will trick you into falling to your death from the nearest cliff.

Personally, I always wondered what makes one who's not been good to follow them anyways, knowing they will lead them to certain death. If you bad, DO NOT FOLLOW THE LIGHTS OF MAFASCA!!! :shameonyou:

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
If you see three lights dancing at night in the Canaries, and you've misbehaved towards someone, especially a local woman, DO NOT FOLLOW THEM!!!

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::nana:

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Ireland has the Leprechauns and the Fairies who are not all jolly like the one on the Lucky Charms Cereal box. I read a book on Irish folklore and it surprised me that the Leprechauns would do bad things to people. I wish I remembered more of what I read but there were a lot of stories of strange things afoot at night.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Ireland has the Leprechauns and the Fairies who are not all jolly like the one on the Lucky Charms Cereal box. I read a book on Irish folklore and it surprised me that the Leprechauns would do bad things to people. I wish I remembered more of what I read but there were a lot of stories of strange things afoot at night.
The Irish believed in this stuff well in 19th century at least in the rural areas.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I find the Tokoloshe is the most terrifying:

From the Xhosa word uthikoloshe: The tokoloshe is a short, hairy, dwarf-like creature from Bantu folklore. It is a mischievous and evil spirit that can become invisible by swallowing a pebble. Tokoloshes are called upon by malevolent people to cause trouble for others. At it's least harmful a tokoloshe can be used to scare children, but it's power extends to causing illness and even death upon the victim.

The penis of the tokoloshe is so long that it has to be slung over his shoulder. Thus sexually well-endowed, the duties of the tokolosh include making love to its witch mistress. In return, it is rewarded with milk and food. In common with European myths and legends concerning familiars, salt must not be added to food offerings fortokoloshes. The witch keeps the tokoloshedocile by cutting the fringe of hair that hangs over its eyes.”

:drowning:

• Haha
Reactions: bluemarlin04
Feb 9, 2019
Seems a fair amount of cultures have various tiny people legends/myths.

Source 1

Source 2

View attachment 109731

When i was travelling around the Melanesian islands, many stories in the Solomans regarding a small race of people living in the interior regions. Small and hairy was what i was told.
Contrast that, some Fijian tribes are known for their height, with a woman i met over 6'2 (in her 40's). I said you are tall, and she said everyone jn her village was her height or taller, some of the men nearing 7ft which isnt that common. The Samoans/Tongans obviously are big like Hawaii or Moari, not so much in height.
As for the lights, the Aboriginal Australian 'Min min' lights, along the lines of a bright spot on the land, and if you follow them (in the outback) you arent likely to find your way back.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I go further and further down the rabbit hole

"Although thought to be mythical, the reality of Nimerigar tales was called into question in 1932 with the discovery of the San Pedro Mountains Mummy, a 14-inch-tall mummy (6.5 inches seated[3]) found in a cave 60 miles south of Casper, Wyoming. Extensive tests were carried out on the mummy, with the initial belief that it was a hoax. Tests performed by the American Museum of Natural History and certified genuine by the Anthropology Department at Harvard stated that the mummy was estimated to be the body of a full grown adult, approximately 65 years old. The mummy's damaged spine, broken collarbone, and smashed in skull (exposing brain tissue and congealed blood) suggested that it had been violently killed. Adding to its strangeness, the mummy had a full set of canine teeth, all of which were overly pointed. When examined by the University of Wyoming, the body was found to be that of a deceased anencephalic infant "whose cranial deformity gave it the appearance of a miniature adult."[4] A second mummy examined by University of Wyoming anthropologist George Gill and the Denver Children's Hospital in the 1990s was also shown to be an anencephalic infant. DNA testing showed it to be Native American and radiocarbon dating dated it to about 1700.[5]"

Reactions: Aardwolf

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
kind of a strange thread
endemic of this bb I guess

cultural anthropology was my minor to physical oceanography in the 70's
you UH Phd's study Alan Howard's work?
studied him allot back then to go along with the rest of the language/pottery theories of the pacific back then. Kind of weird all that book knowledge never helped me in my occupation.

Staying connected to your culture's stories/legends and deities connects you to the aina which was their purpose in the first place.

The scariest I've been was seeing the "white lady" on the side of the road on a dark drive up to princeville. it was a dark and rainy night and I had picked up my brother on the last flight in to lihue to join me in princeville and we both saw her just standing there heading towards Kilauea. Don't know if it was pele or her sister she killed hiiaka, but it scared the sht out of the both us till this day gives me chills just remembering it.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
An interesting link re the white lady, marchers, etc...

Ghost Stories of Hawaii

Saw this one in Moss Beach after dinner there one night, out on the balcony watching the ocean, while enjoying some scotch with my date...

Moss Beach Distillery Ghost Story

...had to ask one of the employees WTF? and they spun the yarn.

Most 'haunted' I've ever felt though was camping overnight in El Yunque in Puerto Rico. Holy Carp! Could have been the mushrooms, but, irregardless, never again. :shameonyou:

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
kind of a strange thread
endemic of this bb I guess

cultural anthropology was my minor to physical oceanography in the 70's
you UH Phd's study Alan Howard's work?
studied him allot back then to go along with the rest of the language/pottery theories of the pacific back then. Kind of weird all that book knowledge never helped me in my occupation.

Staying connected to your culture's stories/legends and deities connects you to the aina which was their purpose in the first place.

The scariest I've been was seeing the "white lady" on the side of the road on a dark drive up to princeville. it was a dark and rainy night and I had picked up my brother on the last flight in to lihue to join me in princeville and we both saw her just standing there heading towards Kilauea. Don't know if it was pele or her sister she killed hiiaka, but it scared the sht out of the both us till this day gives me chills just remembering it.

Without thread drift, some of the posts would be difficult to stomach. I mean, I get that it means some gems, like your story above, get lost amidst the dross, but it sure makes finding them that much more enjoyable.

Saw this one in Moss Beach after dinner there one night, out on the balcony watching the ocean, while enjoying some scotch with my date...

Moss Beach Distillery Ghost Story

...had to ask one of the employees WTF? and they spun the yarn.

Most 'haunted' I've ever felt though was camping overnight in El Yunque in Puerto Rico. Holy Carp! Could have been the mushrooms, but, irregardless, never again. :shameonyou:
Ate there once.

My review is best summed up by tweaking the the advert (which was something like "Come for the view, stay for the food") to "Come for the ghost, stay for the view and if you don't have the view, hope the ghost shows up".

Reactions: Boneroni

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Without thread drift, some of the posts would be difficult to stomach. I mean, I get that it means some gems, like your story above, get lost amidst the dross, but it sure makes finding them that much more enjoyable.

Ate there once.

My review is best summed up by tweaking the the advert (which was something like "Come for the view, stay for the food") to "Come for the ghost, stay for the view and if you don't have the view, hope the ghost shows up".
Cloudy and overcast, huh?

It was clear and crisp when I went, very rare for that area. Fog rolled in after sunset, that's when we thought we saw her.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
No.

Aina just means land.

Being connected to the land is a core value
No, I ran it through google translate and it means, uh, aina.

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 1.12.32 PM.png

But seriously, all that cool interdependent relationship with nature jazz la-dat. Myths and such serve varying purposes within culture however, as do cultural concepts like aina, which has been used in movements involving nationalism or Hawaiian sovereignty. The meaning of the night marchers has apparently blurred or shifted over the years as well. To me it seems to clearly touch on social order, given its basic outline.