Hawaii- Done

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
The old "Hawai'i is over" saying. I remember I was working at the Phillips 66 on the corner of Del Obispo and Camino Capistrano back in 80 and I was developing my scheme for moving to Hawai'i. Some long hair customer tried to scare me out of it saying how the Mokes would kick my ass everyday and that development was running amok and Hawai'i was "Over". Well it wasnt over and it isnt over. It was over for him. Youth still show up with nothing but a backpack ready to start life's adventures. Old people still retire and die there. Everyone in between I wont speak for.

Its kinda like baseball or maybe not. Everyone say's its not popular and if you are not a kid I guess it isnt. Its over for you. Same with popular music. But for many youth the game and the song play on. The importance playing a part in their lives solo and social are bigly. Hawai'i is not done. Its still left to be explored. Just not by us.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
you go look honolulu ford? they were doing 5-7k off 2020 msrps with rebates/dealer discounts when i was looking around a the start of the year. the f150 xlt and up trims have the keypad. the xl stx is cheaper but you can install an aftermarket one. from my understanding though there isn;t a lot of inventory both new (because of the chip shortage) and used so dealers are holding firm. When i was looking seemed like any truck <3 years old they was asking for the price of new so i just went new
was looking for a hybrid escape with keypad entry for the beach but they are in the 30's
also thought of the Prius for the mileage
But not worth it cars are a money pit from day one

I'm trying to get something under 20K that will last 10yr with room inside for a 9'6'-10'
was looking at a used forester but the mileage,# of owners and miles on sucked for the price

maybe a buss-up pickup truck when I retire and I don't have to make the horror drive to and from town to ewa everyday like i have since I came back in 1989. probably lost 3-5 years of my life sitting in stop in go traffic before the pandemic. It's been a 20 minute drive most of 2020 from 60-90 minutes on average before at 5AM and 7PM daily.

new report from the Texas A&M Transportation Institute crunched the numbers and the institute found that the average Oahu driver spends 64 hours ― or more than two and half days ― in congestion each year.
That’s up from 53 hours of congestion annually in 2009, and 29 hours annually in 1989.
It estimates that congestion costs the average Oahu commuter $1,260 a year, including an additional 29 gallons of gas

• Wow
Reactions: Aruka

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
This is on the shortlist for my next family adventure vehicle.

V8, plenty of space, able to tow, and not sitting right on top the engine. My wife is a stay at home mom so don't really need to worry about commuting MPGs. She can cut off the other moms in lululemon and range rovers :ROFLMAO:
I love having a full size van (E 150); I keep 2-3 boards in there all the time and no problem to add more, plus the dog and a few people. Can easily sleep two if needed.

Mileage is terrible but....

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
This is on the shortlist for my next family adventure vehicle.

V8, plenty of space, able to tow, and not sitting right on top the engine. My wife is a stay at home mom so don't really need to worry about commuting MPGs. She can cut off the other moms in lululemon and range rovers :ROFLMAO:
good luck as they are discontinuing those....

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I still remember fondly my 95 Dodge grand caravan. I took the back bench set out and could fit my guitars, amp, surfboards, and still have room for a bike and a passenger. I held on to driving it for years, but had to ditch it when we had a kid. Couldn't reach the baby from the front seat :cry:

Reactions: PJ

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Fvvck that sh!t.

When I had ma' truck I'd just tell them to hire movers and how great it is to have someone else moving all your sh!t and the medical bills you'll avoid by not hurting yourself.

It's senseless not to.
for real.. id rather help to pay for a friends movers than help him move.

one thing I'd never ask for help doing..moving. worth the cost of movers and having moved twice already this year - found a great company that killed it both times for a fraction of what other companies quoted. Any in LA /OC need the rec - holler.

Reactions: racer1

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I love having a full size van (E 150); I keep 2-3 boards in there all the time and no problem to add more, plus the dog and a few people. Can easily sleep two if needed.

Mileage is terrible but....
2008 FORD F250 SUPER DUTY 6.4 DIESEL. 20.0 MPG

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
probably lost 3-5 years of my life sitting in stop in go traffic before the pandemic. It's been a 20 minute drive most of 2020 from 60-90 minutes on average before at 5AM and 7PM daily.
About the same for me in S. Cali, although I haven't been doing the commute for that long. Starting to go back to normal but still not too bad if you don't go right at rush hours.

Books on tape!

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
he was a good guy
hana is going to suffer kind of like when we lost inouye and akaka
sorry to dark it up
but just lost a couple other friends from other hobby groups I participate in

Senate Democratic Majority Leader J. Kalani English To Retire
The longtime lawmaker cites lingering effects of his COVID-19 infection late last year.
just like the flu huh?
I think we're going to see more fallout among those that survived the thing before the vaccines came out.
something for the anti-vaccine folks should consider

like the lt gov said yesterday
most of those in the hospital and on vents now and dying are the younger ones now

Peter
you taking care of yourself this month
Yes?

much aloha from the arm pit of oahu

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The short bed drives me off the wall. What can you even do with a 4.5 ft bed
My friend just got one of these. I think the idea is that you can get it in the garage and shut it. Also what Casa said. Some people are just truck owners. Not me. I can fit more lumber/boards in a Honda Fit.