Hawaii- Done

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Are you guys talking about Hawaii or Tahoe? Or maybe Santa Barbara or Encinitas? Park City maybe? It's a common story...

House down the street from me just went up for sale for $1.6M. Full $400K over the last house in the neighborhood to sell just 6 months ago. Sold immediately, multiple offers. Yeah it had been recently remodeled but jeez...

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Nothing else on the planet like it.
Having never been, cannot state it's untrue.

Highly unlikely though, given the amount of places in the world; certainly there's others just like it, even better still.

Hawaiian chickadee was out here few years back, when it was still uncrowded (by here standards, not hawaiian) she stated this was exactly what the NS of hawaii was like before it got over and done. Should have seen her eyes when I told her our NS is about three miles longer!

To bad this is overrun now, or I would tell you hawaiians to sell and get out here!

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::monkey:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
it's a house or residence you live in
or its an ancestral home with generational connections thorugh out the community around you

the transient modern lifestyle destroyed our old concept of ahupua'a or community responsibility from mountain to sea. Not having those values destroys everything around you except the place you reside. Because that becomes your sole ahupua'a

neighborhoods gone, communities gone, just places to reside in between work time
that's what's its become other than some special areas here
communities bound by HOA rules and regulations versus neighborly actions.
the nuclear and extended family destroyed for the sake of a "comfortable lifestyle"

people always come here for the wrong reasons based on media exploitation
some find their path but most don't because at its core it will never be like were they came from no matter how hard they try to make it so. And when they do, eventually mother nature takes the time to remind them of where they live with an occasional hurricane, tsunami or lava flow.

It's a hard place to live and do well in the view of others
the ones that survive, are the ones that just appreciate and enjoy being here no matter the cost. They find ways to achieve happiness outside the cost of living and a socially admired lifestyle. They are rich with family and community and that's all.

The HI-Lifers here are just putting on a show, but they too will eventually tire of the charade and sell out.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
Hard decision, if put in their shoes and money was not a big factor, then I would also stay

But money is always a factor, and some people just need that one big payday to get their life in order or set themselves up in a really good financial position that gives them some peace of mind

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
it's a house or residence you live in
or its an ancestral home with generational connections thorugh out the community around you

the transient modern lifestyle destroyed our old concept of ahupua'a or community responsibility from mountain to sea. Not having those values destroys everything around you except the place you reside. Because that becomes your sole ahupua'a

neighborhoods gone, communities gone, just places to reside in between work time
that's what's its become other than some special areas here
communities bound by HOA rules and regulations versus neighborly actions.
the nuclear and extended family destroyed for the sake of a "comfortable lifestyle"

people always come here for the wrong reasons based on media exploitation
some find their path but most don't because at its core it will never be like were they came from no matter how hard they try to make it so. And when they do, eventually mother nature takes the time to remind them of where they live with an occasional hurricane, tsunami or lava flow.

It's a hard place to live and do well in the view of others
the ones that survive, are the ones that just appreciate and enjoy being here no matter the cost. They find ways to achieve happiness outside the cost of living and a socially admired lifestyle. They are rich with family and community and that's all.

The HI-Lifers here are just putting on a show, but they too will eventually tire of the charade and sell out.
I've read several good books and articles on the fall of the household. I'm tempted to post them here but think they would collide too hard with the post-modern assumptions of most on here.

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
I've read several good books and articles on the fall of the household. I'm tempted to post them here but think they would collide too hard with the post-modern assumptions of most on here.
i like to say ive had all the same neighbors for over 30 yrs. its a bit of hyperbole but with the exception of only a few flawed parcels its true.

weve been doing community chainsaw fest workdays recently. deforestation projects are great for community bonding. i look around and think, man we all got old.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
i like to say ive had all the same neighbors for over 30 yrs. its a bit of hyperbole but with the exception of only a few flawed parcels its true.

weve been doing community chainsaw fest workdays recently. deforestation projects are great for community bonding. i look around and think, man we all got old.
Where do your kids and your neighbors' kids live?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015

On my parents street- one just sold after 44 years to a nice family and sold it for a ridiculous price.

There is 3 remaining of who I grew up with on that street.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
the transient modern lifestyle destroyed our old concept of ahupua'a or community responsibility from mountain to sea.
Well, on the bright side, it's no longer a death sentence for violating kapu. Hawaiian history used to be a required course, and as I recall the lifestyle could be rather brutal. I'm sure that it was a life rich in meaning though, which our modern life can be sadly lacking.

Makule

Michael Peterson status
Aug 31, 2004
Somewhere between heaven and hell
My brother and I have two properties next to each other on Maui. My parents moved to this house in 1967 from Paia. One is rental and other is vacant. I'm getting offers to sell, but it is not in the ideal location as compared to Up-Country or Wailuku Heights so I'm very much leaning not to sell. Even if the money is right, it would be a very difficult decision to sell and walk away from my roots. My brother (on Kona) also feels the same way.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
my buddy bought 3 ofront houses together on Maui but then he died
from hep from a Morocco surf trip so his wife sold 'em instead.
Lotta good it did him.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
My brother and I have two properties next to each other on Maui. My parents moved to this house in 1967 from Paia. One is rental and other is vacant. I'm getting offers to sell, but it is not in the ideal location as compared to Up-Country or Wailuku Heights so I'm very much leaning not to sell. Even if the money is right, it would be a very difficult decision to sell and walk away from my roots. My brother (on Kona) also feels the same way.

Same here. I couldn't imagine losing our parents property its been in our family for so long.

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
Where do your kids and your neighbors' kids live?
depends on where life takes them. some have stayed close, others are in and out, some have followed their lives elsewhere.

its never a matter of this or that absolute. for as much dissolution as you read about, its cool how multi generational parts of coastal norcal still are.

its probably a social class thing. spots get passed within families or through connections so lots of places never hit the open market, be it ownership or rental.

Reactions: mundus

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
A House, two doors down from me on a smaller lot but with an extra bedroom and bathroom, 3 / 2 and a 2 car garage wants $1.1200.00. Just my lot, is twice as big and I could build a 2nd home on it but I'd loose my view and etc. My lot is the biggest on the street where I live. I'd never build a 2nd home on it, but perhaps increase the size of the house, but never a 2nd home.
In a few weeks, I add another year to my life and the pull to get out on the road while I can still walk and get around easily, has certainly given me thoughts of bailing, but .... there is "the but"

Deb & Deezel Yard.jpg

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
A House, two doors down from me on a smaller lot but with an extra bedroom and bathroom, 3 / 2 and a 2 car garage wants $1.1200.00. Just my lot, is twice as big and I could build a 2nd home on it but I'd loose my view and etc. My lot is the biggest on the street where I live. I'd never build a 2nd home on it, but perhaps increase the size of the house, but never a 2nd home.
In a few weeks, I add another year to my life and the pull to get out on the road while I can still walk and get around easily, has certainly given me thoughts of bailing, but .... there is "the but"

View attachment 107483
Tell Deb I said hi! Her gardenia still going?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
House down the road sold in Oct 2018 for $950K. Just went under contract for $1.6M with multiple offers. Listed for $1.45.

$650K increase in 3.5 years. This is getting crazy.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Own a nice piece of property in Kailua. Not sure if I will dump it and take my money and go or rent it out. Hard decision to make. But like I said earlier, we all have a price.
in most situations refinance and rent it out. Lock in income for the rest of your life

Reactions: bluemarlin04