Hawaii- Done

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
might make sense now
but the older you get the more you will regret leaving no matter how much money you make selling now
depends if this place is really in your blood or if it was just a place for you to live.
makes a difference

very difficult if not impossible to come back once you leave.
and when you do, you will always just be another malahini(visitor) and not a kamaaina(resident)

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
might make sense now
but the older you get the more you will regret leaving no matter how much money you make selling now
depends if this place is really in your blood or if it was just a place for you to live.
makes a difference

very difficult if not impossible to come back once you leave.
and when you do, you will always just be another malahini(visitor) and not a kamaaina(resident)
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

Born there or not.

People that surf and sell out are eventually gonna find out that one good wave in the 808 is worth a shitton more than they think when they sell out and move anywhere.

On a good day you’re not gonna buy yourself in the right place at the right time.

Money can’t buy you love. Or Aloha.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I left for the military. Going to leave again at some point since my California raised spouse isn't into living here. I'm sure some other local boys have faced a similar fate to my own.

Own a nice piece of property in Kailua. Not sure if I will dump it and take my money and go or rent it out. Hard decision to make. But like I said earlier, we all have a price.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
My parents can never sell their home. They been there so long and I grew up there with my brother that I cannot imagine a life in Hawaii without that piece of property.

We were so lucky to live there from 3 years old onwards and it is still there.

Reactions: MathDebater and jkb

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Because of the Kaka'ako Boom and the median home price (large commissions) there are A LOT of realtors out there and inventory is now drying up. Realtors cold calling people is wild.

My parents sold my childhood home a couple years ago and got more than they ever thought they could. They bought a condo in cash to be closer to their grandkids and are happy. I wouldn't live where I grew up, so it didn't bother me.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
If you didn't grow up there I can't imagine REALLY wanting to live there.

If you grew up there I can't imagine wanting to leave.
Now imagine a married couple and each spouse is on a different side of staying vs leaving :ROFLMAO:

My life in a nutshell. But, I can live anywhere and be happy so I'll be fine.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Because of the Kaka'ako Boom and the median home price (large commissions) there are A LOT of realtors out there and inventory is now drying up. Realtors cold calling people is wild.

My parents sold my childhood home a couple years ago and got more than they ever thought they could. They bought a condo in cash to be closer to their grandkids and are happy. I wouldn't live where I grew up, so it didn't bother me.
I feel like very few realtors are making money and a lot aren’t making any.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
If you didn't grow up there I can't imagine REALLY wanting to live there.

If you grew up there I can't imagine wanting to leave.
Disagree with the first part. Some people fit outside of their original environment, some don’t. PPK knows friends of mine that made it, and some that didn’t too. Money wasn’t the reason they made it or didn’t make it.

Without a link I’d say that less than 10% of mainland Americans that move here make it over the long haul. That’s without cracks, slaps, gimme your lunch money, etc.

They drive up the property prices, but have no moral investment. Sounds familiar.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Disagree with the first part. Some people fit outside of their original environment, some don’t. PPK knows friends of mine that made it, and some that didn’t too. Money wasn’t the reason they made it or didn’t make it.

Without a link I’d say that less than 10% of mainland Americans that move here make it over the long haul. That’s without cracks, slaps, gimme your lunch money, etc.

They drive up the property prices, but have no moral investment. Sounds familiar.
Island life is not for everyone.

As a visitor Oahu is a mindfuck.

It's nonstop yin and yang.

No place I've ever been has affected me in such a way.

At one point it was obviously complete paradise. Pre-1980? Pre-1970? 1960?

Out of 4 mainlanders I know who moved to Kauai in the past 19 years I don't know any who stayed.

Even the one guy I thought for sure would stay came back to Santa Cruz - his reason = with his lack of education + lack of opportunity he realized he was set for a life of poverty. This is a guy who lives in a trailer - an easygoing loner who has always not cared for anything other than minimal creature comforts.

A RN friend in his early 20s just moved to Oahu a few weeks ago. Good surfer. We'll see how long the honeymoon lasts.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I know you love Florida, each to his own. Hot, steamy, flat, fishing, Harleys, etc not my thing.
I don't love Florida; I just like fishing and you don't. And where I live there's workable surf far more often than South Florida where you were. And the summer is two months shorter. And the rent to income spread is much wider. Which means my plans of being DONE in a few years are looking likely.

Reactions: sizzld1

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Even the one guy I thought for sure would stay came back to Santa Cruz - his reason = with his lack of education + lack of opportunity he realized he was set for a life of poverty. This is a guy who lives in a trailer - an easygoing loner who has always not cared for anything other than minimal creature comforts.
Is Santa Cruz really that much easier for him? Seems like a pretty tough place to scrape by on minimal job skills as well.