Hawaii- Done

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I went out for a little lunch break surf at small Sunset point today and there was some kid I have never seen before who paddled right past me. They got told to wait their turn (not by me) and after a couple sets he looked at me all bummed and asked when his turn was. I told him "you're last I think." When a set come I went, he rode behind me, fell, shot his board at me (not on purpose). When I paddled back out he was like "what did I do wrong?" and I told him nothing, I was in the wrong, you're not supposed to do what I just did to you but since I've never seen you before and I got a 45 minute break for lunch that's how it's gonna be! Nothing personal have a great day :)
That's how it ought to be everywhere.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
seeing this clip from architectural digest makes me wonder if hawaii is indeed done
don't know who this flower is but apparently he's a campbell grad now with his own MTV show.
just up the valley from sandy's I believe
wow.. speechless

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD and LifeOnMars

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
You didn't watch all 18 minutes of that, did you? I could only stomach about 30 seconds.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
seeing this clip from architectural digest makes me wonder if hawaii is indeed done
don't know who this flower is but apparently he's a campbell grad now with his own MTV show.
wow.. speechless

He got like 10 million ig followers

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
He's kinda a big deal with makeup brands. He started vlogging from his closet, putting on makeup.
Makes Millions. Created from nothing. The content is over the top for me and none of my interests but still impressive.
He also put all his family on and got them their own revenue streams.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
wow.. speechless

Shoots!

I'd kill all my neighbors to have "this flower" as my neighbor.

Matter of fact, I'll trade you my cat killer, my dog breeder AND the guy who 'grows' plastic plants in his garden and then waters them to "clean off the dust" with every sirrocco wind coming from Africa... Englishmen all of them, for just one Bretman Rock.

Kid loves his family, his animals, his home, his island and seems to keep to himself for the most part.

Plus, I'd rather party with him than ANY of my coke head alcoholic brit retiree neighbors any day/night of the week.

:dancing::shaka::waving::bowdown:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I'm envisioning a future Hawaii here where there's thousands and thousands of residents like this guy taking up the land in obscene double digit million dollar mansions living here with something like this as their only occupation/contribution to society (youtube/online influencer).
What will we be become?
Feels like some SciFi movie.

Or maybe this is just what's become of Maui, Lanikai and parts of Kauai and the Big Island.
I'm glad I live in a ghetto

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm envisioning a future Hawaii here where there's thousands and thousands of residents like this guy taking up the land in obscene double digit million dollar mansions living here with something like this as their only occupation/contribution to society (youtube/online influencer).
What will we be become?
Feels like some SciFi movie.

Or maybe this is just what's become of Maui, Lanikai and parts of Kauai and the Big Island.
I'm glad I live in a ghetto
I think YouTube influencers are a bubble. YouTube is, at best, barely profitable. Its "profits" are probably a corporate shell-game/bundling with more-profitable Google enterprises:

YouTube has been waging a pofitability jihad against its content creators in the form of de-monetization over the past 5 years. They're paying content creators less and making rules that are impossible to follow, even for the most milquetoast creators. Consequently, I think the platform is looking more and more like a turd to creators and, at best, one option among many for sales/marketing people.

Reactions: Boneroni

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I told him nothing, I was in the wrong, you're not supposed to do what I just did to you but since I've never seen you before and I got a 45 minute break for lunch that's how it's gonna be! Nothing personal have a great day :)
Hope he appreciated the honesty.:roflmao:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
wow.. speechless

What, you no like da mahu millioneahs. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: hammies

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I love his Scary Pockets and Pomplamoose projects, but according to Jack Conte yesterday, Patreon supports over 200K creators paying them over $1 Billion from 7 million patrons. A pretty remarkable accomplishment similar to the other Jack.
I give him credit for creating the idea and platform that started as a way to fund his music interests. Funny because I'm a patron to a couple of youtubers but have been canceling out as it didn't make sense to fund a non-business, business.

But if everyone starts leaving the workforce to create a world that only exists online and not with what needed to survive day to day like farming, building things or working in those hard to fill service industry jobs. What's going to happen to the "real" part of the economy. I see this with folks who's only occupation is to open boxes or review things given to them free (or demanded to get for free). Is this is where all those missing service workers went to during the pandemic like them Fans Only/Influencer web channels?

I wonder if any economist or futurist has studied the potential impact to society and the mental health of a society living "artificially" by feeding off the adoration of the "crowd"(trump?). Kind of feels like what happens to all the old pro surfers when they age out on a global basis. Any recommended reads from you MENSA studs?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I wonder if any economist or futurist has studied the potential impact to society and the mental health of a society living "artificially" by feeding off the adoration of the "crowd"(trump?). Kind of feels like what happens to all the old pro surfers when they age out on a global basis. Any recommended reads from you MENSA studs?
Not MENSA but there are always people making predictions:

Dystopian fiction:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_New_World (hopeless ending, they're working on incubators)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_Hideous_Strength (hopeful ending)

The older men will have to teach the younger men why they should get up, go to work, and start families.