Hawaii- Done

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Only if we want it to be.

And apparently the political class here wants exactly that, residents be damned.
The end of Maui's West Side was the building of the Honuakai hotels and timeshares. We already had plenty hotel rooms and some of us knew this was a disaster. Those buildings will never be demolished and so the overwhelming numbers of low $/person guests are here to stay.

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
The end of Maui's West Side was the building of the Honuakai hotels and timeshares. We already had plenty hotel rooms and some of us knew this was a disaster. Those buildings will never be demolished and so the overwhelming numbers of low $/person guests are here to stay.
I guess it is a personal point of reference. For me the end of Maui's West Side was the building of the Honoapiilani Highway. Prior to that the drive to Honolua Bay from Lahaina was to take Lower Honoapiilani Road. The old road definitely made it more of an effort to drive to the upper West Side.

• Love
Reactions: PPK96754

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Revisiting a lot of Places with my son that I used to frequent when I was a kid. Oahu has really declined in maintenance and overall up keep, looks pretty shitty these days. Maybe I remember them better than they were or maybe tourism spending has been flat since the 80s and we Have more and more people living and visiting here depreciating everything.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Only if we want it to be.

And apparently the political class here wants exactly that, residents be damned.
Usually local politcians are backed by developers. When elected, the politicians help the developers with permits and zoning. This builds the developers monetary capital usually at the expense of social capital and public infrastructure. Somehow housing always seems to get more expensive when they do this despite there being more of it.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Revisiting a lot of Places with my son that I used to frequent when I was a kid. Oahu has really declined in maintenance and overall up keep, looks pretty shitty these days. Maybe I remember them better than they were or maybe tourism spending has been flat since the 80s and we Have more and more people living and visiting here depreciating everything.
Everywhere looks run down. We dont take care of our people or places. Too busy funding wars and giving our money away to other countries that dont deserve it. It is sad.

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
The increase of Residents since the 1960's is a bit overwhelming. Figures that I can find show the increases for Oahu and Maui.

Oahu 1960 population was 500,409
Oahu 2021 population is 1,000,890

Maui 1960 population was 35,717
Maui 2021 population is 165,386

Agreed that there has been a decline in maintenance and overall upkeep. The condition of facilities is really saddening when compare them today to my youth. Not sure the reason, but one would think that there are enough County employees to address the situation. Say what one will about the military, when the Navy was still in possession of Barbers Point Naval Air Station, the beach areas were kept up well, After the Station was closed and turned over to the State the area has never been close to the same.

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
Penn/Rothman 2028
It is going to be interesting how Penn does in the race. Definitely seems to be an growing undercurrent of support for him. My Son dropped off a Penn for Governor T shirt for me this weekend. Definitely drew positive comments at the beach with the Grand Kids this weekend.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
I guess it is a personal point of reference. For me the end of Maui's West Side was the building of the Honoapiilani Highway. Prior to that the drive to Honolua Bay from Lahaina was to take Lower Honoapiilani Road. The old road definitely made it more of an effort to drive to the upper West Side.
I wish I could have seen that.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hau'ula boys represent hahaha

This had me :roflmao:

The side guys deserve accolades.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
That lower road was pretty sweet when pulling up to Honolulu with the monkey pod tree's on the mauka side and a view of the Bay through the narrow opening of overgrown grass, the shade from the trees and hop scotching over the rocks to get to the ocean and further up the road to the top of the dirt roads of the pineapple fields and onward. Late 1960's / early 1970's.

Last edited: