Hawaii- Done

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
2,127
790
113
48U - Green River, WY
I was not going to even read what she wrote, but your comment had me open it up to see what she had to say. Pretty much an oblivious hypocrite. Waiting to see a follow up piece where she justifies herself being a "tourist" herself. Showed my wife and all she could do was shake her head and ask how many of her family has employment directly or indirectly tied to the travel industry. If she is from West Maui, not much else besides the travel industry, unless you work for the City and County.

yup...+1...all the way
 

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
13,005
15,129
113
Honolulu, Hawaii
After checking crowded cams all morning, swell was again overhyped, I surfed a long windy right with just one friend in the afternoon. Two of us trading overhead rights in the middle of Honolulu. People only want to surf where there's a rewind cam.

Tourism is 20% of Hawaii's economy (Washington Post, 2018). Could we survive with it being 18%? 15%? 10%? I'd certainly enjoy living here more if there were 10%, 25% or 50% less tourists.
 
Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Kelly Slater status
Sep 20, 2014
8,809
4,994
113
Ribbit
Solution to too much tourism is so simple, only idiot politicians cannot figure this one out....

So, the problem is too many people want to come spend money there?

IE: demand too high?

Raise prices until the numbers are at a conformable level.

Comfortable enough to keep the locals happy, and the politicians rolling in their corrupt payoffs.

IE: raise prices of a too popular good, reduce consumption, but keep profit margins... or even increase them.

:monkey::cheers::socrazy::computer::shrug::unsure:;)
 

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
351
199
43
After checking crowded cams all morning, swell was again overhyped, I surfed a long windy right with just one friend in the afternoon. Two of us trading overhead rights in the middle of Honolulu. People only want to surf where there's a rewind cam.

Tourism is 20% of Hawaii's economy (Washington Post, 2018). Could we survive with it being 18%? 15%? 10%? I'd certainly enjoy living here more if there were 10%, 25% or 50% less tourists.
I still think that the Washington Post statement that tourism is only 20% of the economy is incorrect. I know that the Military is a large part of the economy, but not sure what the figure is now. No manufacturing industry to speak of and much of the agricultural products is imported. If the State and County employment is part of the total economy figure, is that financed through the resident tax base only and not taking into account the taxes paid by Tourists during their visits? An example I have used earlier, and surf related, is a Tourist shops at a T and C surf shop and purchases a board, leash, board shorts, and more, paying sales tax on the purchases. Still a part of the State economy, but I seriously doubt that they break it down to being Tourist generated tax revenue or internally (Resident) generated tax revenue. Same goes with dining and restaurants. For example, the sales tax revenue generated by Rainbows. Plenty of Tourists eat there and I doubt if they account for the tax revenue being either Residents or Tourists. I do know that during the last Recession, Tourism was down and people on Maui could feel the pinch. I guess, if Residents really want less Tourists, based on the 20% figure, only one in five jobs would be tourist related and by seeking employment in the non Tourist (80%) economy and abandon the Tourist industry employment, the Tourists industry would be unable to logistically support the current numbers of Visitors and might reach your desired figure of 10%, 25%, or 50% less tourists.
 

SurfFuerteventura

Kelly Slater status
Sep 20, 2014
8,809
4,994
113
Ribbit
I still think that the Washington Post statement that tourism is only 20% of the economy is incorrect. I know that the Military is a large part of the economy, but not sure what the figure is now. No manufacturing industry to speak of and much of the agricultural products is imported. If the State and County employment is part of the total economy figure, is that financed through the resident tax base only and not taking into account the taxes paid by Tourists during their visits? An example I have used earlier, and surf related, is a Tourist shops at a T and C surf shop and purchases a board, leash, board shorts, and more, paying sales tax on the purchases. Still a part of the State economy, but I seriously doubt that they break it down to being Tourist generated tax revenue or internally (Resident) generated tax revenue. Same goes with dining and restaurants. For example, the sales tax revenue generated by Rainbows. Plenty of Tourists eat there and I doubt if they account for the tax revenue being either Residents or Tourists. I do know that during the last Recession, Tourism was down and people on Maui could feel the pinch. I guess, if Residents really want less Tourists, based on the 20% figure, only one in five jobs would be tourist related and by seeking employment in the non Tourist (80%) economy and abandon the Tourist industry employment, the Tourists industry would be unable to logistically support the current numbers of Visitors and might reach your desired figure of 10%, 25%, or 50% less tourists.
 

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
2,127
790
113
48U - Green River, WY
I hope everyone else is scoring this south! I just got barrels at a reef that doesn't work that often but loved the high tide and northish wind. Back out in a sec for a sunset session at a mellower spot.

HEY!...is the whole Lahaina side a gigantic washing machine?...or is it doable...what about the afternoon high tide?...was thinking about doing a day trip on Thursday...surf in the morning at Left/rights and maybe kite in the afternoon...
 

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
351
199
43
After checking crowded cams all morning, swell was again overhyped, I surfed a long windy right with just one friend in the afternoon. Two of us trading overhead rights in the middle of Honolulu. People only want to surf where there's a rewind cam.

Tourism is 20% of Hawaii's economy (Washington Post, 2018). Could we survive with it being 18%? 15%? 10%? I'd certainly enjoy living here more if there were 10%, 25% or 50% less tourists.
Per the link below to the Britannica, "Tourism is Hawaii's largest industry". Using the Washington Post figure that tourism is 20% of Hawaii's economy, how does the Post break down the remaining 80%?
 

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
1,427
666
113
Lahaina
HEY!...is the whole Lahaina side a gigantic washing machine?...or is it doable...what about the afternoon high tide?...was thinking about doing a day trip on Thursday...surf in the morning at Left/rights and maybe kite in the afternoon...
Everything around Lahaina was awesome today. The high and low tides were manageable by going to the deeper and shallower spots.
 
  • Like
Reactions: steamroller

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
13,005
15,129
113
Honolulu, Hawaii
Per the link below to the Britannica, "Tourism is Hawaii's largest industry". Using the Washington Post figure that tourism is 20% of Hawaii's economy, how does the Post break down the remaining 80%?
at 20% it is the largest industry and yes they are counting sales tax and retail sales. There’s numerous reports about Hawaii GDP and they all have tourism at 20-21%

what I want to know is do they factor in that majority of that 20-21% leaves the island because all hotels, car rental, airlines aren’t locally owned?
 
Last edited:

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
351
199
43
at 20% it is the largest industry and yes they are counting sales tax and retail sales. There’s numerous reports about Hawaii GDP and they all have tourism at 20-21%

what I want to know is do they factor in that majority of that 20-21% leaves the island because all hotels, car rental, airlines aren’t locally owned?
Per the Star Advertiser this morning, Hawaii tax revenues soared to a record high in April. What would be nice is if they explained how "they are counting sales tax and retail sales". I do not understand how they differentiate a retail sale or the tax generated by such as being tourism related. An individual spends $200 at Ala Moana, how do they know if he is a resident or a tourist. Maybe track credit cards, but that would not take into account cash sales. Might be interesting to find the yearly total of sales taxes and divide the figure by the number of residents in Hawaii and come up with a figure.
These figures most likely do not account for the amount of income generated by tips in the service industries. From experience, I know that a large portion of this is not reported as income, but goes into the economy as it is being spent by residents. Tourism related, but really no way account for it.
As for the factoring in of the percentage leaving the Islands due to the non local ownership of hotels, car rentals and airlines, it would be interesting to know that figure. I believe that it is still true that the daily revenues from Costco leaves the State on a daily basis. Is the revenue generated by Costco counted as partially generated by Tourism? On a daily basis, following the arrivals of tourists on Maui, a major first stop for them is Costco and they load up prior to heading to where they are staying. Is that counted as Tourism generated?
 

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
15,947
14,933
113
Tourism-based economies bring in a lot of money from the outside but they also create a lot of jobs that don't pay well. It's that way all over.