Hawaii- Done

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
No need too. Got access to better spots then NS.
never seen such a broad generalization go wrong :roflmao:
keep convincing yourself of having never surfed from mokuliea to kahuku, repeat it enough times and your mind will actually believe it.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
never seen such a broad generalization go wrong :roflmao:
keep convincing yourself of having never surfed from mokuliea to kahuku, repeat it enough times and your mind will actually believe it.
what you mean?

Why would I not believe it?

I spent my whole life on Oahu. I'm good.

• Sad
Reactions: LifeOnMars

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
3 miles from my house to the parking lot. It may not fire like V-land or Rocky point but it has its moments. And I can get in and out of the water before my kids get up and I need to spend 5 hours watching kids play soccer.
You is stocked! What are the crowds like? Had good access for a civilian in high school with friends who were military kids with THE STCKER. 84-89ish, was good times and not many other people.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
You is stocked! What are the crowds like? Had good access for a civilian in high school with friends who were military kids with THE STCKER. 84-89ish, was good times and not many other people.
Not too bad at dawn patrol. It can get crowded on good days but there's so many spots and little reefs all around that it's easy enough to find a peak that isn't overrun. I wouldn't say it is any more crowded than 20 years ago. Plus, I have a military ID and am 100% legitimate. No more looking over my shoulder and being scared of the MPs.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Speaking of base, I'm sure we all have stories of running from MPs.

I remember one time my friends got caught surfing Zombies. We used to swing around the fence and walk to the channel. Well one day the MPs were hiding out and caught my friends. The MP told my friend he was going to cut them a break and not take them to jail since they were just teenagers. He put them in his Jeep and drove them to the back gate and told them to walk home. No shoes, no shirts, and just boards. lol. My one buddy asked what he was supposed to do since he lived far away and the MP just shrugged and said to figure it out. They were stocked though that no phone calls to parents were made.

Could you imagine if a police officer did that today??

Another memory is they used to take your boards. Caught trespassing? They would impound your board for 6 months. An eternity when you were a grom trying to get by with whatever board you could afford by working at fast food places during the summer. Now I just shake my head when I see 10 year olds with quivers worth more than my car and their parents videoing taping them from the beach.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
Speaking of base, I'm sure we all have stories of running from MPs.

I remember one time my friends got caught surfing Zombies. We used to swing around the fence and walk to the channel. Well one day the MPs were hiding out and caught my friends. The MP told my friend he was going to cut them a break and not take them to jail since they were just teenagers. He put them in his Jeep and drove them to the back gate and told them to walk home. No shoes, no shirts, and just boards. lol. My one buddy asked what he was supposed to do since he lived far away and the MP just shrugged and said to figure it out. They were stocked though that no phone calls to parents were made.

Could you imagine if a police officer did that today??

Another memory is they used to take your boards. Caught trespassing? They would impound your board for 6 months. An eternity when you were a grom trying to get by with whatever board you could afford by working at fast food places during the summer. Now I just shake my head when I see 10 year olds with quivers worth more than my car and their parents videoing taping them from the beach.
i lived in aikahi and at times had id but always had a gold sticker you MF i want see some snap in that salute

JSC

OTF status
Mar 11, 2008
We used to bring Punahou School 1841 Buff and Blu friends into KMCAS in the trunk.

Four boards on top, two people in the car, gold sticker on the bumper, the MP's never seemed to make the connection. Marines don't need to be smart, they need to follow orders or men die.

Loud thumps and shouts of "Let me out!" - not that far to the parking area, so leave them in there until parked and take a good look around for any MP's before opening the trunk. Good times with SW winds -

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Wait. Do you even live in HAwaii?
lived on oahu for 5 years, thankful to have gotten out. too much sh!t traffic and crowds, bunch of dumb mokes too ;)
nice place otherwise, still has problems like everywhere else.

Last edited:

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
No need too. Got access to better spots then NS.
I surfed on base more then anyone for about 6 years, best thing was when I lost my golden ticket and got busted. I was forced to surf the NS. If you think Base is better then the NS great for you, you're lucky. My opinion is that the base has the most surfable days of anywhere on the the island but most days are onshore junk. About 20 days a year the winds are good and it's not flat, some of those days the NS will be junk so base will be better then the NS on those days. As for the base getting as good as the NS is on a good day, I'd say it happens a couple times a decade.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I surfed on base more then anyone for about 6 years, best thing was when I lost my golden ticket and got busted. I was forced to surf the NS. If you think Base is better then the NS great for you, you're lucky. My opinion is that the base has the most surfable days of anywhere on the the island but most days are onshore junk. About 20 days a year the winds are good and it's not flat, some of those days the NS will be junk so base will be better then the NS on those days. As for the base getting as good as the NS is on a good day, I'd say it happens a couple times a decade.
Better? No.

More convenient and good enough for those of us that aren't pro level rippers trying to maintain a contract? Definitely. Country is filled with instagram kooks, local pros, and transplants trying to make a name for themselves. I'd rather surf onshore closeouts than deal with it.

Plus going to country is big time suck unless you live in central Oahu or on the NS. Most people with families can't just disappear for 5 to 6 hours every weekend. Just the traffic jams make the whole experience a turn off.

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
Better? No.

More convenient and good enough for those of us that aren't pro level rippers trying to maintain a contract? Definitely. Country is filled with instagram kooks, local pros, and transplants trying to make a name for themselves. I'd rather surf onshore closeouts than deal with it.

Plus going to country is big time suck unless you live in central Oahu or on the NS. Most people with families can't just disappear for 5 to 6 hours every weekend. Just the traffic jams make the whole experience a turn off.
in the day id be hitchhiking board under arm on the bay drive an hour or so laters id be @ ehukai

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Good. Pls tell your friends to stay north of Kawela Bay and inside the circus tent.

East side got no waves

• Love
Reactions: teeroi and Muscles