Have you looked at your 401K today?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
If MDU goes down to 20 I'm buying a bunch.

As long as my 403b does not go down past what I put in, who cares?

I'm way way way up.

Still.

I have one from a long time ago that I put 10 grand in and its over 50. If it goes down to 30 I'm still not a looser.

Aren't those your aces in the hole that you really don't touch if you don't have too?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
So nobody here has a 401K or is honest to post how its been doing?
Down 6.7% from 1/1/2022.

Up ~1% from 2/21/2022.

1645812619871.png

you idiot. everyone lost money this week. i lost money during weeks of trumps presidency to. did you just open your account for the first time in 4 years today? the fact is we are still up from when your boyfriend held the reigns.
I might have started to loose less money this week as of yesterday and at this snapshot in time, like right now.

Be nice if it keeps improving until I die many years after I retire.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It's just a pet stoke of mine. It has sentimental value.

Buy at 20 and it will back up to 30 at some point.

I've consistently made $ on it over the years.

It has good dividends. I had 50 thousand in MDU and had the dividend get reinvested. That thing was the little stoke that could.

I know nothing about stokes so don't listen to me.

But I would buy some more at 20.

No, not would, will.

I have 1100 shares of it now.

Autoprax

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Most of us have most of our money in S&P 500 index funds and the like. What is even the fucking point? I am not sure how to plot a graph of my total account value in etrade. It's not like it's on the landing page of my dashboard. And I'm not bothering to do that for someone who is so deluded they won't even accept the most simple of concepts.

1. The average investor will be best served by investing in an S&P 500 index fund.
2. The S&P 500 is up since Biden took office even with the downturn/correction territory in the New Year.
3. This is incredibly easy for you to plot.

I don't get it. This is the erBB. Everyone took a sh!t on Subway's 3-series convertible because it's not a carbon fibre monocoque that rides like a skateboard. A fair few of us into fishing are lure/fly snobs to some non-zero degree. Don't even get us started on what surf is sufficient for a bump-squash thruster (any if there are no longboarders and other volume donkeys) and everyone is a crack sharpshooter who can shoot the wings off a fly.

The topic becomes investing, and a wide swath of people of various political inclinations goes "I AM A DUMB FUNBOARDER WHO WRAPS HIS LEASH AND WHO HAS SPENT MORE ON A CHANGING PONCHO THAN ON FINS IN 20 YEARS OF SURFING"

We volunteer that we're kooks and best off investing in a safe benchmark index, and the performance of that index is readily available to you, and you're incredulous.

"I SUCK AND I AM A DESK JOCKEY IN FLORIDA"
"Post picks of yourself doing airs at Pipe. Liar."
"I DON'T SURF PIPE AND I CAN'T DO AIRS. I STILL FEEL CLUMSY UNWINDING THE ROUNDHOUSE AND REALLY GETTING AFTER THE POCKET ON THE REBOUND."
"All I am asking for is an animated gif of the stalefish 720 you threw down at Jaws."
"SIR, I AM WORRIED ABOUT KEEPING MY SHOULDERS OPEN DOWN THE LINE INSTEAD OF PIROUETTING AND TOSSING PIZZAS ON THE VERT REO. NO AIRS ARE GOING DOWN."

Jesus H Christ. We're telling you we have training wheels and pink plastic streamers on the handlebars - the one time the erBB isn't entirely former winners of the Giro dItalia and Le Tour with two foot dicks. The one actually honest real thing is subject to disbelief.
Changing poncho is the best invention of the 20th Century

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD and grapedrink

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Just took a look at the old 401K for the first time in a while. Ouch. This isn't the sort of number you want to see. Since January 1st of 2022. Lets Go Brandon!

Capture.JPG

I removed the balances and left in the change in value on the funds where most of the money is.

Capturehhh.jpg

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Just took a look at the old 401K for the first time in a while. Ouch. This isn't the sort of number you want to see. Since January 1st of 2022. Lets Go Brandon!

View attachment 138614

I removed the balances and left in the change in value on the funds where most of the money is.

View attachment 138615
Are you retiring in the next 5 years? If not this is a good thing. You can keep funding at a lower price.

You will make more off of what you contribute during the down years than the bull market years. Those who contributed during the first decade of the millennium will see much better gains than those who contributed during the last decade.

Reactions: npsp and sussle

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Are you retiring in the next 5 years? If not this is a good thing. You can keep funding at a lower price.

You will make more off of what you contribute during the down years than the bull market years. Those who contributed during the first decade of the millennium will see much better gains than those who contributed during the last decade.
There is no good spin that can be put on losing 21% of your account balance.
I'm 2 years away from the age when my father retired very well. I'd love to retire in 10 years but that is looking less likely all the time.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
I'm 2 years away from the age when my father retired very well. I'd love to retire in 10 years but that is looking less likely all the time.
work harder

• Love

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
No, I haven’t looked
what’s the point?
im not going to change anything
stay the course

I was curious about my non 401k investments a couple of weeks ago, and took a look at the current value
yeah, its worth less that it used to be worth, but its not changing how I live my life today, and there’s no point in worrying about the future

remain calm
all is well

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Even the super rich didn't get richer.

The 2022 Forbes 400 List Of Richest Americans: Facts And Figures

After a roaring 2021, the 400 richest people in the U.S.–along with many Americans–have been hit by rising inflation and falling markets. As a group, this year’s Forbes 400 is $500 billion poorer than they were a year ago. Their total net worth stands at $4 trillion, down 11% from last year.

The minimum net worth required to make the list also fell, by $200 million, to $2.7 billion. It’s the first time since the Great Recession that America’s ultra-wealthy aren’t richer than the year before. Forbes calculated net worths using stock prices from September 2, 2022."

Dark days.

• Love

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
No, I haven’t looked
what’s the point?
im not going to change anything
stay the course

I was curious about my non 401k investments a couple of weeks ago, and took a look at the current value
yeah, its worth less that it used to be worth, but its not changing how I live my life today, and there’s no point in worrying about the future

remain calm
all is well
This. Crypto appears to be flatlining, I'm not a 20-something like in 2009, if there isn't a recession, there won't be pain, if there is, it'll be the last great buying opportunity to set up the tire mints.

I'm thrilled we have a President who can be told that his earlier bill was dogshit and his predecessors' (plural) fiscal policies were dogshit and so he has to wear this one on the dome.

Much better than some flailing clown who'd probably be trying to hand control over monetary policy to Jim Jordan or Rudy Giuliani.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
perhaps you should go sell something. i'm thinking your father did not spend a significant portion of his productive middle years shitposting on an internet forum, right? maybe that's the real lesson.