Have you ever surfed in a contest?

SFKneelo

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 11, 2003
Bay Area
Visit site
I've done plenty, won some money.
Yeah, Sopa, the NSSA College Team season, and I think I judged you in the only contest I tried to judge: '93 Swami's Club event. Maybe... maybe not. It's fuzzy now. That judging gig takes patience and focus... kudos to those that do it well!

Even after things like massive hangovers from UCSB festivities competing in 1' backside Rincon, it made for great memories and friendships. Oh, and having car plates on the Black's list with bandit keys was a cherished perk.

From there, I took a break to focus on surf travel at least 1x/year. As the internets started evolving, the kneelo community began to connect globally. Some of those comp-focused surfers were already connected. For me, surf travel turned into travel to surf '99 World Titles in Opunake New Zealand. Then, US Titles started in '03. Like Leaverite, surfed the '04 event to a 4th, behind said Barry, Jack (and Tom Linn.) The annual events continued, including World Titles at Steamer Lane. They still continue... but...

Why do it? It was a whole lot of fun in college, at least for me until the horn sounded. It was a great way to meet folks, learn and improve... but also kind of constrictive. It was only 'a corner in the room.' With enough time and energy, no worries.

As time demands grew with family, events were a great escape, but harder and harder to justify. With every free surf a blessing now, it's hard to say 'let's drive to Huntington where 2-3' surf is forecasted.' Comradery, yes. Surf, nope. I'm back to surf travel as I can...

B.R.: Classic! Alan and Doughboy were UCSD NSSA, and great company!

Solid advice so far. Only 'add' is to be sure to watch set patterns, and then figure out who's committing to which wave in the set. If someone has the first one dialed, speed-paddle for the 2nd or 3rd decisively. Get out of that first heat! If I followed the heat schedule correctly, 1st round is elimination, and 2nd round bottom-three go to repercharge. Make the first heat, and you're guaranteed two more...

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
I was the competition director for the WSA in the 1980sCCI02242013_00007.jpg

They will probably hold it at the rivermouth, so kick out after you pass the judging stand. My tip is to catch two quick waves inside of the other 5 guys, then paddle just inside of the last guy and wait for a set. Backpaddling is a good strategy as long as you don't snake a competitor.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2014
Last year the RC was held in the Cove. Everyone was stoked, so my guess is that it will be held there again this year. But if they have it at Rivermouth this year, make a good impression before you pass the judges. We can't score what we can't see unless you are blowing tail all the way through the inside. Kick out and paddle back out pronto. Yes, lots of scrambling with six-man heats. But have fun! Don't stress. You need just two good ones. Catch set waves. Insiders don't score as well.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
I tried out for the UCSB surf team at Sands in 1971. Surfed there all the time for four years. Biked in past the little stables and monkeys in cages.
Stoked! I wasn't there until the late 80's/early 90's. Played water polo but hung with the surf team guys quite a bit. Their house was at the campus end of DP. Good times! Probably wasn't good enough to make the team anyways!

Reactions: pagey
Apr 22, 2014
Stoked! I wasn't there until the late 80's/early 90's. Played water polo but hung with the surf team guys quite a bit. Their house was at the campus end of DP. Good times! Probably wasn't good enough to make the team anyways!
I made the team but couldn't surf the events because I was always working at the IV Market. Best four years of my life. Campus was surfable all the time, and IV Beach had peaks up and down the whole stretch.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
I was the competition director for the WSA in the 1980sView attachment 85074

They will probably hold it at the rivermouth, so kick out after you pass the judging stand. My tip is to catch two quick waves inside of the other 5 guys, then paddle just inside of the last guy and wait for a set. Backpaddling is a good strategy as long as you don't snake a competitor.
classic Walt Bitts is the drummer in my band, used to drum for the pulltoys. didnt' know he was a windansea club guy..

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Surfed a few comps in high school. Waves were always crap. One day in OB it was big and closing out. 2 of us made it outside. 2 got crushed and 2 guys one by standing in the whitewash lol.

the one comp I advanced in I showed up 30 mins late to my heat

Reactions: Mr J

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Well here goes nothing. It's on this weekend.

This is gonna be weird.

Thanks guys for the advice. Good stuff. I will not be burning anyone or hassling. The whole point is to surf the cove without the hassle. I got a couple nice runners through there last week, but other than that I've passed it up to surf other spots almost every other day this season. It's been stupid crowded.

I appreciate whoever said to not froth out and catch every wave. I do that sh!t all the time! Was surfing a pretty crazy sandbar yesterday with a mellow rotation crowd, and I couldn't help but catch the small ones no one else wanted. I just can't help it. That will be a challenge.
Old friend’s son has won the RC half dozen times. It’s the best photo op on the mainland.
As someone who has never had a decent pic of himself surfing, this both excites me and terrifies me :ROFLMAO:

are there Team Boner shirts?

I'd wear a Team Boner shirt to the contest to show support
How about this? (been a busy week, otherwise I'd try to waste 8 hours designing something stupid :ROFLMAO: )
b-shirt.jpeg

If any of you are there, say hi if you get a chance. Looks like I'll be wearing Green in the 3rd heat of 35+.

I'll report back on monday :drowning:

Reactions: rts265 and mundus

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
I checked it for you this afternoon

Low tide around sundown.

More sand in the cove than I've ever seen. Indicator was super mushy, with nothing connecting through

Rivermouth was the same.

The cove was a racetrack. Groms were stoked, but not enough power for adult sized surfers.

Reactions: Boneroni

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Because in 30 years of surfing, I haven't. I've never even considered it.

But now I've gone and signed up for the Rincon classic.
After they got such great surf last year I figured wtf not? I'm also pretty worried about being priced out of CA this year and having to move to Inlandville usa, so better do it now.

I have no idea what I'm doing. What does repechage even mean?

Any advice would be appreciated.

For your troubles.....
View attachment 84926

Attachments

Apr 22, 2014
Don't worry. You're going to have fun. It will be a novel experience, and there will never be another time when you will have the Cove with only five other guys. You can either catch as many waves as you can to maximize the experience or focus on two really good ones to advance and do it all again!

Reactions: Boneroni

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
K, superkook update, reporting from the parking lot.
Got here at dawn, got a good spot, and got a few waves on my good wave board. Just repair d a blown out fin box, so Haven’t ridden it in a month or so. Felt good.
Tide is really high: surf is kinda S wind sickly, but seems to be getting better.
I’m warming up my feet before checking in.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Right on!
How many waves do you need judged? 2?
Get thee best 2 waves every heat, you'll prob' make The Final.
Make The Final, don't hold back...

Tip:
I had some info from 1st World Champ Peter Townend,
as waaaay back in '84, he coached the US Surf Team.

Learn to look at waves, in competitions, as just #'s.
Is that wave a 6 or just a 4?

If a 4,
you gotta perform more radically to make the wave score get to become 6...
If the wave is already a 6, do your stuff, don't fall, etc...

Good luck, Boneroni
+ have fun today,
yow~za!
:shaka:

ps ~ wear a watch!

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
K, superkook update, reporting from the parking lot.
Got here at dawn, got a good spot, and got a few waves on my good wave board. Just repair d a blown out fin box, so Haven’t ridden it in a month or so. Felt good.
Tide is really high: surf is kinda S wind sickly, but seems to be getting better.
I’m warming up my feet before checking in.
I AM WEARING MY BONER SHIRT!

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Don't worry. You're going to have fun. It will be a novel experience, and there will never be another time when you will have the Cove with only five other guys. You can either catch as many waves as you can to maximize the experience or focus on two really good ones to advance and do it all again!
So your a RC Judge eh Pagey?

What types of, let's say, er, Benefits? Handouts? Hand$hakes? have you been offered as a judge?
Got to be some good ones, cause, some of those past winners, well, IMO, didn't quite deserve to win.

• Haha
Reactions: rts265