Have you ever surfed in a contest?

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Because in 30 years of surfing, I haven't. I've never even considered it.

But now I've gone and signed up for the Rincon classic.
After they got such great surf last year I figured wtf not? I'm also pretty worried about being priced out of CA this year and having to move to Inlandville usa, so better do it now.

I have no idea what I'm doing. What does repechage even mean?

Any advice would be appreciated.

For your troubles.....
7b2fce23d86cc14335617aa146d10c6b.jpg

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I did the classic a few years ago and it was well overhead and perfect. Grab as many waves as you can in your first heat and have fun. It's the most uncrowded you'll ever get it.:shaka:

Reactions: Boneroni

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Not a bad call at all. Rincon Classic is a fun event and they typically score.

Advice?

Don't miss your heat.
Get good waves.
Have fun. You paid to clear the water, not for scores.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com

After they got such great surf last year I figured wtf not? I'm also pretty worried about being priced out of CA this year and having to move to Inlandville usa, so better do it now.

For your troubles.....
View attachment 84926

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I surfed about a half a season of NSSA when I was in college. Then, during one contest at Blacks the waves were just going off so at the end of my heat I didn't paddle in but just kept surfing and I got booted off the team.

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Surfed in them, Judged them and paid a small fortune in entry fees and travel expenses for my boys to surf in them.

Best advice: Since you haven't done a contest before is to RELAX. I think you're going to be surprised how fast your heart will get going in a contest heat......even if its just a silly local event. First thing you have to learn is to slow all that down and relax.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
What does repechage even mean?
It's an elimination round for people who get like 4th in a 6 surfer heat where 1-3 advance, where maybe 5th and 6th are straight eliminated but they put everyone who finished 4th but didn't advance into another heat.

My advice is, if you're not going to advance, and some guy you don't like or who you owe a burnback is lining up a gem, torch his sh!t and bag yourself a runner.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Thanks guys. I'll have fun. I'm really not expecting to advance. Looks like I'm up against some really good surfers. I'm just in it for the empty cove and the experience.

I guess I was worried that everyone would be super stern and serious about it, but it sounds like it's more laid back, so that's more my style :drowning:

Reactions: Mr J

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I guess I was worried that everyone would be super stern and serious about it, but it sounds like it's more laid back, so that's more my style :drowning:
Yeah that burn I told you about, do it to a B-grade pro from 20 years ago when he's in like 5th, needs a number, and that backside to highway liquid draino finna set up and peel off. Roast his sh!t and it'll be stern, aft, prolly starboard and port while you're at it. Cereal!

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

For your troubles.....
View attachment 84926
are there Team Boner shirts?

I'd wear a Team Boner shirt to the contest to show support

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Did the Classic back in the 90s, had a great time but the contest thing was never my bag, never did it again.
You'll have fun, Chris K. puts on a great event and it's a good way to hook up with old surf friends.
BTW GromD, it's not a silly event. Finger Poke :)

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
I surfed about a half a season of NSSA when I was in college. Then, during one contest at Blacks the waves were just going off so at the end of my heat I didn't paddle in but just kept surfing and I got booted off the team.
"I got booted off the team" for stealing the contestant jersey for a rash guard. LOL..