Hate Crime Charges Brought Against Maui Individuals

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
In Los Angeles the "hood" is gentrifying. And there is push back. Prices tell you how crazy the LA housing market is.
I've thought about the mid city area (Leimert), but you can't just look at the house. How do you guage the local dynamic?

Leimert Park-

Boyle Heights-

This is something I don't get. The people in the downtrodden areas scream for years for investment, safety, jobs, better housing and living conditions, and so on. Then, when they get those things, they scream racist gentrification because the cost of living went up. It's like they have no basic understanding of how sh!t works.

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
This is something I don't get. The people in the downtrodden areas scream for years for investment, safety, jobs, better housing and living conditions, and so on. Then, when they get those things, they scream racist gentrification because the cost of living went up. It's like they have no basic understanding of how sh!t works.
it's almost like - "these" communities are made of all kinds of different people with opposing viewpoints and levels of understanding and unique situations... and maybe "investment" takes many different forms and has different outcomes ... nah, real life couldn't be that complex, these problems are easy.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Yeah and who you calling a PacMan?! You a PacMan! Maybe I identify as a Mrs PacMan. You gonna hate me for that too I guess.:violin:

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Dayaks...

Our level of Hate. Our level of Tribalism. In Borneo there are only your tribe. Everybody else is an animal. The One True People. And meat on the menu...

Last edited:

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
about 30 yrs ago I was living on Maui. (wow that was a long time ago:jamon:)
My friend whom I lived with at the time wanted to drive around the westside, from Wailuku way. So, one boring wind swept day we decided to take that drive. My memory is a bit smoky, but, I remember being pretty nervous on that drive. I'm pretty sure it was at that same town, we came around the winding road and down into the heart of the town that the road went thru. We stopped. Ahead of us all over the road were about 7-10 kids. All native(looking at least) aged elementary to teens. As soon as they saw us, 2 haoles driving a car towards them, they all flared up and started yelling at us. As we got closer to them, (we couldn't turn around, just kept telling eachother it would be ok, lol) they pretty much surrounded our car and continued to yell and harass us. No Haoles hea! Get da fuk outta hea! We gonna keek yo fuking ass haoles!!! We just slowly crawled thru them without hitting anyone, at about 2 mph. They let us continue with no more than yelling. It was strange hearing little kids talk like that too. 5,6,7 yrl olds. Phew! I remember that time and will never forget it!

To add to that, my friends uncle married into a native hawaiian family who all lived in the next valley over. He stayed on maui for a couple years eventually living with his gparents and spending a lot of time surfing that next bay over with his family, cousins, uncles, etc.:shaka:

Like another said here, I have no opinion, it's a bummer in more ways than 1. However, I like to do my research, and I would have never done something so ridiculously stupid as what that guy and his wife did.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Last edited:
Reactions: CutnSnip

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
My friend whom I lived with at the time wanted to drive around the westside, from Wailuku way. So, one boring wind swept day we decided to take that drive. My memory is a bit smoky, but, I remember being pretty nervous on that drive. I'm pretty sure it was at that same town, we came around the winding road and down into the heart of the town that the road went thru. We stopped. Ahead of us all over the road were about 7-10 kids. All native(looking at least) aged elementary to teens. As soon as they saw us, 2 haoles driving a car towards them, they all flared up and started yelling at us. As we got closer to them, (we couldn't turn around, just kept telling eachother it would be ok, lol) they pretty much surrounded our car and continued to yell and harass us. No Haoles hea! Get da fuk outta hea! We gonna keek yo fuking ass haoles!!! We just slowly crawled thru them without hitting anyone, at about 2 mph. They let us continue with no more than yelling. It was strange hearing little kids talk like that too. 5,6,7 yrl olds. Phew! I remember that time and will never forget it!
What a vibrant culture! This reminds me of the story of some Swedes/Brits (can't remember) who drove through the Congo as tourists about a decade ago. At every village, they were subject to car swarms, threats, and extortion. The comment was that the difference between a tourist and a racist in the Congo was about 3 weeks.
Dayaks...

Our level of Hate. Our level of Tribalism. In Borneo there are only your tribe. Everybody else is an animal. The One True People. And meat on the menu...
What a vibrant culture!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Paul Theroux occationally writes about the tribalism, anti-intellectualism, and xenophobia in Hawaii.

Yet he still chooses to live there for half the year.

Hotel Honolulu is such a fun read.

His next novel is about a surfer on the N shore.

Can't wait to read.

We can do erbb book club.

I always felt sorry for locals who expressed aggression toward me when I was traveling the world for fun and adventure.

I always GTFO'd for greener pastures.

Their loss.

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. A great person does not have to think consistently from one day to the next."
It appears that we have many "great persons" posting on the ERBB. :rolleyes:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
There's usually a local politician or activist behind them rilling them up.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

To add to that, my friends uncle married into a native hawaiian family who all lived in the next valley over. He stayed on maui for a couple years eventually living with his gparents and spending a lot of time surfing that next bay over with his family, cousins, uncles, etc.:shaka:

Like another said here, I have no opinion, it's a bummer in more ways than 1. However, I like to do my research, and I would have never done something so ridiculously stupid as what that guy and his wife did.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I hacked Chris Kunzelman's Amazon account.

Recent purchases:

I'm thinking maybe he didn't learn his lesson. ;)

In all seriousness, I think if I was Hawaiian, I'd be angry too. Really poor decision making re buying that place.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

look at what she says at 6:20

this is literally what EVERY CALIFORNIAN BORN SINCE 1975 HAS EXPERIENCED

this isn't about Mexicans....it's about fkn capitalism....economics

white people are also being displaced

is this not so?

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
10 yrs back, Had a friend(very white guy) that drove across America from Ventura to DC to retrace steps he and his father took on the same trip 20yrs prior walking.
When he went thru ‘bama, one particular town, at a stoplight, he was yelled at similarly to my Hawaii story above, but by black people. He was really really scared being by himself. He said when the light turned green he punched it outta there while closely watching his rear view mirror.
Point is, no white guy belonged where he was, and probably the same here, no white guy belongs in that native Hawaiian village like this guy thought. Clueless.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I hacked Chris Kunzelman's Amazon account.

Recent purchases:

I'm thinking maybe he didn't learn his lesson. ;)

In all seriousness, I think if I was Hawaiian, I'd be angry too. Really poor decision making re buying that place.
I wonder if they bought sight unseen.

It seems like you would go down there and get the vibe.

Some people don't feels vibes and charge forward.

I can feel the vibes just by looking at the pictures.

That house looks like a sh!t hole.

The funny thing is is that you could work with one of those guys at the construction site and be best buds.

That is the weird thing about localism, maybe that stranger you are being a dick to is your soul mate, your fast friend, the person who makes your life complete?

I'm not saying I'm that person. I know I'm not but maybe someone else?

Reactions: Havoc

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
10 yrs back, Had a friend(very white guy) that drove across America from Ventura to DC to retrace steps he and his father took on the same trip 20yrs prior walking.
When he went thru ‘bama, one particular town, at a stoplight, he was yelled at similarly to my Hawaii story above, but by black people. He was really really scared being by himself. He said when the light turned green he punched it outta there while closely watching his rear view mirror.
Point is, no white guy belonged where he was, and probably the same here, no white guy belongs in that native Hawaiian village like this guy thought. Clueless.
First time going to the Oakland Colesium for a Dead show while I lived in Santa Cruz I was stoned and got off to early before I saw the colesium. I was cruising bad side of town in my s10 keeping my head low looking to get back on the 880.

Reactions: afoaf

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
For consistency, now reverse the races and neighborhoods. "No __ guy belongs in a ___ neighborhood."

Reactions: JBerry

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I wonder if they bought sight unseen.
They did. Article said they bought sight unseen.

I have a hard time buying the sick wife claim. People with a sick spouse with something like MS don't buy properties sight unseen and just decide to move there. Especially when they have children. They also don't carry a gun and put up security cameras. He had to have known he was in the wrong part of town if he felt the need to carry a gun and have cameras.

My guess is he was doing what people who buy things sight unseen do. Trying to flip it into a money making operation.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I have like 5 friends of hispanic descent (one is a Japanese/hispanic mix) that are just nasty, loud and belligerent island locals. All out of Ventucky. I was staying with a haole friend over there a few years back and he's going "how do you know these people?!?!?" According to him they were some of the scariest MFers on the Island. One I tried to pick a fight with. (I hadn't seen him in 20 years) He went from threatening me in pigin so thick I could barely understand him to college educated whispers of "You can't talk to me like that around here..." when he finally recognized me. :roflmao:

O'rale vatto!!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: afoaf and JBerry