Hate Crime Charges Brought Against Maui Individuals

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
What kind of moral compass says it's OK to hit people in the head with a shovel because of their skin color?

I realize people have been doing this for 10,000 years but that still doesn't make it right.

Reactions: keenfish

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I’m thinking that whole village would have been after those guys had they ran some of the locals over or fired off a few shots. Maybe not, but it seems like a small place where news travels pretty instantly and that doesn’t fuck around. I was looking at the map and it seems pretty desolate and sharp winding roads only way in or out.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
What kind of moral compass says it's OK to hit people in the head with a shovel because of their skin color?

I realize people have been doing this for 10,000 years but that still doesn't make it right.
No one said it was acceptable.

People are saying that the dude that bought the house clearly did not think things through.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
years ago, i hired a girl who had recently graduated pratt ( i would need to see proof that you actually graduated and weren’t expelled for behavioral reasons ).

she actually grew up on crete. we worked together for a few years, and she was a pretty good designer. eventually her parents got older and she moved back to athens and became a hotshot at foote, cone, belding.

i would always remind her what hemingway said about greece.

look it up.

:oops:
I read that cretens were crazy.

They gave the Nazis a hell of a time during WW II.

That is what happens when you read.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
My friend grew up in Echo Park in the late 70s early 80s when it was the hood.

He talked all about it to his kids about how dangerous echo park was. He finally got the opportunity to take them there last year and it was all nice. Blew his mind. His kids lold and didnt believe his stories.
its not looking so nice around there rn...they cleaned up that park so nice over the last 10 years and now its back to hell..worse than ever actually. feel bad for all the people who moved in their after the gentrification, now to be stuck back in the "hood."

Btw, not surprised about Leimert Park - its actually really nice over there now. I was helping out with a doc about 6 years ago and was totally surprised how much it hd changed since the late 90's/ early 2000's.

Reactions: ZZ Soft Top

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
its not looking so nice around there rn...they cleaned up that park so nice over the last 10 years and now its back to hell..worse than ever actually. feel bad for all the people who moved in their after the gentrification, now to be stuck back in the "hood."

Btw, not surprised about Leimert Park - its actually really nice over there now. I was helping out with a doc about 6 years ago and was totally surprised how much it hd changed since the late 90's/ early 2000's.
When the homeless move into a neighborhood, the homies aren't far behind.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

The local elites play a long game of turning hoods to shyte with their policies, buying them cheap, gentrifying, selling high, and repeating.

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC

look at what she says at 6:20

this is literally what EVERY CALIFORNIAN BORN SINCE 1975 HAS EXPERIENCED

this isn't about Mexicans....it's about fkn capitalism....economics

white people are also being displaced

is this not so?
Yeah. That's the reason I don't live in Manhattan Beach anymore. Not by choice. And I'm as white as they come. Who should I be pissed at???

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
always said by the people with the money in their pockets marginalizing others and never suffering the same discrimination and overall poor treatment. Now that we stole everything from you, you need to play fair and be nice.

hows that saying go about we stole it fair and square ,...

people have myopic views.
Who's "WE"?
I've only been around for about 50 years. I have nothing to do with that fvcked up chapter of history.

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
Yeah. That's the reason I don't live in Manhattan Beach anymore. Not by choice. And I'm as white as they come. Who should I be pissed at???
gentrification started ramping up in manhattan beach what? 40 yrs ago? its like me being pissed i couldnt afford a house in lunada when i got out of high school

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
gentrification started ramping up in manhattan beach what? 40 yrs ago? its like me being pissed i couldnt afford a house in lunada when i got out of high school
I noticed the change in 92 right after the riots. Those who could, left LA for the safety of the beach. That drove prices up. But even up until 2000, it was still manageable. before I got married and bought a place, (believe it or not, it was cheaper to buy in OC) I rented a 2 BR for $750/mo on 12th St.

When I finished at UCLA 95/96 it was cheaper to rent in El Porto than to live in Westwood. I lived in a converted garage on 44th St. for $400/mo. Covered rent AND tuition being a delivery boy for Beach Pizza in my 78 VW bus.
Can't imagine a college student living that close to the beach now.

Last edited:
Reactions: keenfish

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
its all personal perspective. the south bay beach cities were a mix of blue collar neighborhood and white surf slums up through the 70's.

by the late 80's money was aready well established and the "renovations" were in full swing basically destroying the former character of the south bay and replacing it with $$$

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
its all personal perspective. the south bay beach cities were a mix of blue collar neighborhood and white surf slums up through the 70's.

by the late 80's money was aready well established and the "renovations" were in full swing basically destroying the former character of the south bay and replacing it with $$$
the difference is that the culture embraces/ed it

could you imagine a bunch of gutter punks and surfers smashing windows at The Source?!

no, because they're fkn parents own that real estate

who owns the houses in boyle heights?

if you rent, caveat emptor...uncertainty is built in to it