Has anyone here ever lived in a home worth $1,000,000 or more?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
the "think of all the wonderful things you'll do" argument for living in California
is pure marketing fantasy.

if you have a wife and kids, you're not surfing, doing runs, AND squeezing in
a third x-game at sunset. I mean...how many times have you even nailed a
twofer? I can count mine on one hand.

if I lived in Montana I could shoot a bear, hit the lifts, and catch a hog on a
fly reel all in one day!

I'm counting down the days until I can bounce out
Can I leave my van on the back of the property?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
the "think of all the wonderful things you'll do" argument for living in California

fly reel all in one day!

That all sounds good, love the mountains, just can't quit the ocean.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

fly reel all in one day!

WHY HAVEN'T YOU LEFT ALREADY IF YOU HATE IT SO MUCH FUKK YOU

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I don't disagree, but the traffic and constant development in SOCAL has killed it for me. Just driving through the Temecula-Murrieta corridor is now almost an hour at any time of day. 215-60-91 merge out in Riverside is a constant traffic jam. I used to like taking day trips up to San Bernardino mountains to explore and ski but just going from Temecula resulted in 4-5 hours of car time. So while you could technically ski and surf in the same day, you'll probably spend more time in traffic than doing either activity.

And yet developments keep getting built. The stretch of I-15 between Murrieta and Corona is now development after development being built.
Sorry you live in that Mordorian corridor between Corona and Fallbrook. That is pretty hellacious, especially during that super bloom this last summer.

Technically? Pish posh. Paddle out at NB/HB from 6 to 9 AM, change, and be up at Baldy by 10:30 AM. Or Big Bear by 11:30ish. Ride until closing or until it starts getting slick as the sun goes down. I grew up in LA so driving a few hours each way for a day trip somewhere is inconsequential.

Counting that on one hand, afoaf? Done it several dozens (if not more) of times, especially in spring when you don't even want to get to the mountain until near noon anyways. A little harder with wife and kids these days but that's not because of traffic - wife-inflicted guilt comes into play then. But then it just becomes surf in the morning for a few hours, then go for a hike with wife and kids or similar outdoor activity. You're not doing any of that when you're in some place that's either pissing down rain and windy 350 days of the year (Pacific NW) or -20 and below in the winter and lightning in the summer (Montana, Dakotas, etc).

Traffic into Yosemite is what really ground my gears. But so much better to take the longer way up 395 and around through Tioga. Exponentially nicer drive. You do miss the majesty of Bakersfield and Fresno but those are the sacrifices you make. There is a little bit of vehicular sacklessness that you have to negotiate through Cajon Pass and Adelanto-Inyokern corridor but golden after that.

Last edited:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Sorry you live in that Mordorian corridor between Corona and Fallbrook. That is pretty hellacious, especially during that super bloom this last summer.

Technically? Pish posh. Paddle out at NB/HB from 6 to 9 AM, change, and be up at Baldy by 10:30 AM. Or Big Bear by 11:30ish. Ride until closing or until it starts getting slick as the sun goes down. I grew up in LA so driving a few hours each way for a day trip somewhere is inconsequential.

Counting that on one hand, afoaf? Done it several dozens (if not more) of times, especially in spring when you don't even want to get to the mountain until near noon anyways. A little harder with wife and kids these days but that's not because of traffic - wife-inflicted guilt comes into play then. But then it just becomes surf in the morning for a few hours, then go for a hike with wife and kids or similar outdoor activity. You're not doing any of that when you're in some place that's either pissing down rain and windy 350 days of the year (Pacific NW) or -20 and below in the winter and lightning in the summer (Montana, Dakotas, etc).

Traffic into Yosemite is what really ground my gears. But so much better to take the longer way up 395 and around through Tioga. Exponentially nicer drive. You do miss the majesty of Bakersfield and Fresno but those are the sacrifices you make. There is a little bit of vehicular sacklessness that you have to negotiate through Cajon Pass and Adelanto-Inyokern corridor but golden after that.
The majesty of Bako and Fresno is why I look forward to the train to nowhere

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I actually don't live there anymore. I moved to Hawaii but come back several times a year for work and to see my wife's family in Murrieta.

The traffic just kills me. I can't handle 5 hours of driving to Ski big bear or snow valley. And I hate planning my entire day around traffic when I'm there. Last year it took me three hours to get to Murrieta from Legoland because of Friday traffic.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I actually don't live there anymore. I moved to Hawaii but come back several times a year for work and to see my wife's family in Murrieta.

The traffic just kills me. I can't handle 5 hours of driving to Ski big bear or snow valley. And I hate planning my entire day around traffic when I'm there. Last year it took me three hours to get to Murrieta from Legoland because of Friday traffic.
You're in a far better spot in Hawaii. That's the only place in the US I would trade CA for (and in a heartbeat). Although I do have to confess that I'd rather be retired there, not working.

That's one of the things I like about Baldy. It's close and there are multiple options, freeway-wise to get to the base.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

fly reel all in one day!

You forgot to mention that after your are done killing wildlife, ruining your knees lifting weights, and soaking bait in a stream you will be too tired to have me over for a beer.

Fine, two can play at that game! :cursing:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I just picked up an employee that works in the Central Valley so I get to head up there a fair amount. I'm pretty excited.
Bring windshield wiper fluid for the flies.

We'd driven through there enough times, my daughter officially HATES the sight and smell of cows. On the bright side, she won't be going out there picking mushrooms when she's older. Which I might add, next to miniature golf, is Florida's favorite pastime.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I had someone up there before and my inlaws live in Fresno so I'm very familiar!
My wife is from Porterville. She does not miss it.

Will have to say that staying in Visalia for a Sequoia trip, the Brewbakers Brewing Co. makes a damn good burger. Wouldn't go all the way up there for it but if in the area, oh hell yes. They also have a plethora of good Mexican food in the entire area and not the Wahoos/Chipotle Abominable Blandness so you're not hurting in that department there. An absolute silver lining.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Ifallalot said:
I prefer Shafter and Kettleman City
Kettleman City is along the 5, away from the bullet train. Maybe they'll build a spur.

My personal favorite is Lost Hills and the aptly named Brown Material Road.

Absolute shitholes.
^ A co-worker grew up in Taft.

The stories he tells about those towns on 33 and 58 and 119 etc. remind me of the stories from one of my sister's father-in-law stories about growing up in the Dustbowl (Hi, Frank!)....his family was too poor to follow the Joads...one thing he often repeats in his stories is that peanuts were probably the primary protein source he and his siblings had.

Reactions: Ifallalot