Has anyone here ever lived in a home worth $1,000,000 or more?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Oh please. You claim all the time that you're more of a Californian than an American.

I don't think anyone's scrambling to justify living here. More like recognizing the fact that it's better here than just about anywhere else in the country.

And it was hollow and glassy this morning. Almost no one out. But quite closed out. There were some corners though. Got a few until got caught inside and tangled in trash kelp. Had to ditch under a wave and that was the end of my beloved 6'6". I hate myself for snapping it that way but board had been on last legs for a couple years at least.
Oh I've never said California is not better than the rest of the country, I'm just saying, in the words of GDaddy, the juice ain't worth the squeeze. Sure it might be better, but not THAT much better to justify housing prices, taxation, fees, and other cost of living

You still had that same 6'6? Crazy. I'm going to go for a PM session today if the wind isn't too bad. It looks empty everywhere but that's understandable because of the rain. I've never been scared to surf after the rain until I had an ear infection that kept me out of the water for virtually the whole winter last year

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Oh I've never said California is not better than the rest of the country, I'm just saying, in the words of GDaddy, the juice ain't worth the squeeze. Sure it might be better, but not THAT much better to justify housing prices, taxation, fees, and other cost of living
Also in the words of GDaddy, why do you live here if you hate it so much?

Oh I forgot, that applies only to "foreigners".

If you don't see the value, hate CA government and civil society rules, there are some great shitholes for you out there.

Yemen is a libertarian paradise, no taxes, you can buy any gun you want and they throw transexuals off the buildings instead of giving them "special treatment". Good value for money.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

You still had that same 6'6? Crazy. I'm going to go for a PM session today if the wind isn't too bad. It looks empty everywhere but that's understandable because of the rain. I've never been scared to surf after the rain until I had an ear infection that kept me out of the water for virtually the whole winter last year
You have higher cost of living but salaries are higher too. It works out. And I would say it is that better.

A shame about that board. Especially considering the number of sessions I had on it. Was pretty much my daily driver for almost 10 years. Stupid I broke it the way I did. Pure laziness to ditch there but was just wrapped up completely in that trash kelp. No question the extra weight on the leash was all it took as it tombstoned.

Even more painful was seeing how good the surf was in La Jolla later that morning. Lot of spots lighting up, including some of the more fickle ones.

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
My parents got a postage stamp 3 BR/2 BA tract house in PB (Turquoise St) for around 180k in 1984. Sold it in 1990 for like 350k. I zillow it occasionally, it's very well over a million bucks now. I'd live there in a second now but it's not quite worth the million plus IMO. It was a hell of a cool place to grow up though. 4th grade, ride your Vision Gonzales or GT Pro Performer to the beach and go surfing then smoke some shoplifted cigarettes or drink some of someone's pilfered Dad beer, read some Penthouse under Crystal Pier. Also some cool skate ditches like Cass Canyon. Not exactly my folks' vision of a good life for me & my brother. Also in the 80s PB was pretty working class. Some of my good friends lived in Motels with a single mom who was a cocktail waitress or whatever, just scraping by, or some pretty bummy parents. No supervision. Lots of cool ass vatos to learn from too. In 90 we moved to La Mesa :cursing::bricks:Bigger cooler house but still worth less today due to geography :ROFLMAO:. I'm kind of embittered about the move but I'm not sure I would have chosen things like grad school if I'd stuck around PB. The whole beach/pier upbringing kind of encourages degeneracy in a lot of people (me included).

Reactions: Ifallalot

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
One of those winter 60/60/60 days. Sixty percent overcast, sixty-degree water and a sixty-degree temperature outside. Combined with a solid 3-4 foot WNW swell. Today's reason to live in California.View attachment 83382
I love days like this. Kind of ugly or chopped up from the initial look so lots of people pass but lots of solid sections out there to enjoy. Schwack!

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Let's pretend I bought a house for $400K in the 1990s in San Francisco.

Let's pretend Zillow thinks it is now worth $1.5MM in the late 20teens.

Now lets pretending I have a decent enough memory to sum up the ownership costs.....

Lets start subtracting 25 yrs of prop tax, say $4.5K a year, so minus $113K

Lets subtract off two house paintings and some inside painting, say minus $30K.

A new roof means another $25K gone, oh wait, what about the temp roof we put on ourselves a year after we bought the house (ooo, my back), minus $5K.

Electrical upgrade is minus another $5K.

Copper pipe is another $6K.

New fences is $7K

Yardwork, plants, etc, over the years, $5K

Insurance is $2K a year, so $50K there

And last years big job, say $203K

That is $449,000 of upkeep.

So, if I sold today and got $1.5 million, then subtract off cost to purchase of $400K, then another $449, I have a net profit of $651K (this number is an approximation because I am not including purchasing costs, purchase tax, fees, no real estate mortgage write offs for my taxes, and probably any number of other items).

So, on the net side, no, I do not live in a million dollar house.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Let's pretend I bought a house for $400K in the 1990s in San Francisco.

Let's pretend Zillow thinks it is now worth $1.5MM in the late 20teens.

Now lets pretending I have a decent enough memory to sum up the ownership costs.....

Lets start subtracting 25 yrs of prop tax, say $4.5K a year, so minus $113K

Lets subtract off two house paintings and some inside painting, say minus $30K.

A new roof means another $25K gone, oh wait, what about the temp roof we put on ourselves a year after we bought the house (ooo, my back), minus $5K.

Electrical upgrade is minus another $5K.

Copper pipe is another $6K.

New fences is $7K

Yardwork, plants, etc, over the years, $5K

Insurance is $2K a year, so $50K there

Any last years big job, say $203K

That is $449,000 of upkeep.

So, if I sold today and got $1.5 million, then subtract off cost to purchase of $400K, then another $449, I have a net profit of $651K (this number is an approximation because I am not including purchasing costs, purchase tax, fees, no real estate mortgage write offs for my taxes, and probably any number of other items).

So, on the net side, no, I do not live in a million dollar house.
I think "Zillow says yes" was the answer the OP was looking for.

Although if "back of the napkin, I'm only up $650K on my $1.5M home; #DoofProbs #SFLife" was a stealth-mode Doof troll, nicely prepared ballyhoo and good action in the prop wash; 8/10 would swat at with bill repeatedly until stunned and then ingest, setting hook, and resulting in my exertion and capture.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
You can justify it to yourself all day long, and honestly I'm 90% not going anywhere, but that's not going to change the fact, not opinion, that it is too expensive here
But you still live in CA? Why? I don't get it.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I think "Zillow says yes" was the answer the OP was looking for.
Simple answer vs more complete answer....

About a decade ago, one of the nephews has figured out money, or more likely, the sister in law is putting ideas in his head.

"Hey Uncle Mr. Doof, your home is worth a million dollars!"

"Ummmm, where is this going?"

"You're a millionaire!"

"Uh, let me tell you about the other side of the balance sheet..."

"You're a millionaire!"

"Ok, what do you think that means?"

"You are a millionaire!"

"Then why am I still living in this neighborhood and why do I still look at Craigslist for used surfboards?"