Has anyone here ever lived in a home worth $1,000,000 or more?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
my parents house they bought in coronado when my dad was stationed at north island there during the vietnam war is probably worth 4 million dollars or more now, my dad got sued for some dumb biz dealings his navy buddy got him involved with and had to sell in the 80s,, some arizona dr. owns it and visits on occasion, i'm considering squatting in the back garage once i figure out their vacation schedule.

Currently the dump I bought 19 years ago is supposedly worth 1 million dollars, lol who can buy these places? when i bought in the last gang claimed area of leucadia my friends thought i was nuts, but i wanted a small house and big yard and it has worked out. I used to post some of my house projects on here when we first bought my house, it was nasty when we bought it, leaky roof, moldy carpet, former renter was dealing drugs in the back and renting cots to migrant workers in the front, so we had a lot of late night visits the first year or two, our boxer pit pound dog Kirra and her dobie mix partner taylor were great deterrents and word got out quickly after one late night dog chasing tweaker incidient.

my wife and I lived in one bedroom for 2 months with a bar fridge and microwave and toaster oven and we demoed the whole house and repainted and re-floored everything, then my sister in law moved in and her boyfriend and I redid the roof under the supervision of my roofer friend, new sky lights in every room etc. built a music studio in the garage, patched and repainted the entire exterior,. I never did it to make money i just wanted a place near the ocean and near my work to raise my kids.
I like to get in the ocean on the regular and this is a great place for that, work is 2 songs away on the car stereo and can see the pacific from my job. If you don't need the ocean and don't mind shitty weather then CA is not worth it these days, but I dig it and already put the house in a trust for my kids. California uber alles
My mom's old house in Nado (she bought in '71 for $30K) recently sold for $1.6M. They tore it down. The lot size is 3200 sq. ft.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Parents old tiny duplex property house in South Redondo on Coast Hwy is now worth just over $1 mil. They moved away in 1980. I moved out in 1978 at a ripe old age of 19.

Was basically 2 small early 1 bdrm homes connected together. Original was built in 1912 on Coast hwy. All redwood framing, even had old gas lighting fixtures a few places. Small duplex was added on in 1930's. Parents bought them both in 1969 for about $20k.

We rented one out for a while. Then later, dad connected them together for more room for us all (split level with short stairway between). Dad had earlier split the Coast hwy 1 bdrm into 2 small bedrooms with a closet between. Talk about cramped. Was weird have 2 kitchens for a while when we lived in both. 1100 sq ft felt huge by comparison. Dad thought he hit the jackpot selling for $100k in 1980, 10 years after bought. 5x increase in 10 years! A lot of that was just pure double digit inflation of the 70's. But beach towns became cool in the later 70's an onward. Best investment Dad ever made. They'd freak if they saw the value of that old little place now.

Hasn't changed much, but looks like recent owners added rooms to tall attic and almost stand up open space under house for more sq footage. I drive by every so often when I swing by the hood to see how my old local is evolving. Still very nice area, but just so crazy expensive there now.

Very few I grew up, surfed and schooled with live there anymore. Most that still do, inherited parents homes. I can't even imagine paying $1 million for these simple, small lot homes there now. Between mortgages and CA property taxes, what "middle class" person can afford that? You'd have to be pulling in at least $150-200k annually to even come close ($5.25k a month, PITI alone?)

doubleup

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 18, 2019
Rented a couple of beachfront or large properties with friends back in the day. Central California Coast, Westside Oahu, Eastside Kauai... so, yeah, by now I bet they're easily worth that, based on location, not luxurious appointments.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
My senior year at UCSC I lived in one of the Octagon houses on East Cliff, right above the river. 2 minute walk to Seabright and the Rivermouth. Even with only 2 bedrooms, based on the location I could see it being worth over a Mil. Godam I miss living there, I get choked up just thinking about it!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Categorically disagree. It is very easy to take off the rose colored glasses and see what a dumpster fire CA is even when you're living well yourself.
It really sounds like you're ready to leave. Do us a favor. Georgia might be to your liking.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
$1,000,000? Come on! That's become an entry level home in my area.

My folks bought their first home, the one I grew up in, for $26,000. It's zestimate is now $1.45 million. We had to move my elderly mom out this year and rented it for...$6,000 a month. Who the f..k has $6,000 a month to spend on rent????

My cousins grew up in a modest (to put it mildly) little 1950's stucco bungalow in Culver City that is also estimated at one and a half million. And I won't even go into the situations of my cousins who live in San Francisco...

but yeah it is going to implode soon so everyone best cash out and move to Arizona or wherever. Please.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
A million is the new 100 K.

Sad
Only in coastal So Cal and SF bay areas.

I know where I can buy a large home on 1-2 acres overlooking whitewater ocean views for half that. It's not So Cal, but it's beautiful and unspoiled for the most part. I will need a wetsuit year round, but so what. Kind of like Kauai, but 20-30 degrees colder.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Have you seen the size of the residential permits they give in Culver City?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
And another person who refuses to take off the rose colored glasses
I think you hang around too many transplants and actually listen to them.

For the record, you can still easily get a place in SoCal that is short walking distance to the beach for under $2K/month.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I think you hang around too many transplants and actually listen to them.

For the record, you can still easily get a place in SoCal that is short walking distance to the beach for under $2K/month.
Wrong. The only transplant I hang around with it my wife.

And when I talk another expense I’m not taking about rent

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Wrong. The only transplant I hang around with it my wife.

And when I talk another expense I’m not taking about rent
Color me sceptical.

I think you need to suffer a bit to appreciate what you have. You've had cushy indoor jobs your whole life. Once you start digging holes in sub-zero temps or have to all but machete through dense swampland (only $1K/acre!) in high heat/humidity while getting massacred by ticks, yeah, you'll recognize that SoCal is hilariously better than everywhere else.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Color me sceptical.

I think you need to suffer a bit to appreciate what you have. You've had cushy indoor jobs your whole life. Once you start digging holes in sub-zero temps or have to all but machete through dense swampland (only $1K/acre!) in high heat/humidity while getting massacred by ticks, yeah, you'll recognize that SoCal is hilariously better than everywhere else.
Also wrong. My first decade in this business was all outside and in other states. Remember I've been to 43 of these bitches

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Again, talking about how expensive California is without acknowledging the value for money, is ridic.

If you don't see a value of living here, that's a different story.