Has anyone here ever lived in a home worth $1,000,000 or more?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The house I live in now is worth over million for sure.

I'm like Magnum PI living in the guest house.

TC!

Last edited:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
And we have mountains, deserts, snowboarding, hiking, biking, etc.

It doesn't rain constantly or inflict massive humidity to the point where it's not even fun to go outside and partake in those activities. There's a reason a lot of people's daily delight in those other areas is mowing their lawn.

Traffic is bad but it's ephemeral. I surf alone the vast majority of the time. I moved to a place that had good schools, minimal crime (mostly punk kids coming from the $2-20M home areas), and virtually no homeless issues. So yeah, not experiencing any said dumpster fire.

If you're experiencing huge downsides to living in Southern California that make it not worth living here, that reflects the choices you made.

I might suggest a winter in North Dakota or Indiana to realign your perspective.
Mountains, deserts, hiking, biking are all available anywhere else in the American West. With a house to go home to that costs half of what it does here, with gas that costs half, with less of a tax burden, and a job that pays less, yes, but not so much less that you don't feel the sting of cost of living

And the downsides aren't just in Southern California where I live now or where I used to live. They're in all of California in every region.

You can justify it to yourself all day long, and honestly I'm 90% not going anywhere, but that's not going to change the fact, not opinion, that it is too expensive here

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Grass is greener I guess.

Then again, I just paid my mortgage online so that will give you the attitude I have
Yeah, I'm about to be real pessimistic for a few days when my mortgage payment goes through. For what I own and what I paid (nowhere near being worth a million though) it would give a lot of you an aneurysm.

Lot's of great places in the US to live and I've visited nearly every state at this point; but it just so happens CA checks off a lot of those 'its a really great place to live' check boxes. Everywhere is a balance and has it's downsides and upsides, and it's really easy to fall into the trap where the downsides blind the good sides. Nowhere is perfect.

Reactions: Ifallalot

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
You can justify it to yourself all day long, and honestly I'm 90% not going anywhere, but that's not going to change the fact, not opinion, that it is too expensive here
It's not about the cost, it's about the value.

If you don't see a value in all the things that Kento listed, best move somewhere with shitty weather, no waves and slack gun laws.

New Jersey is calling your name.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
There's no reason to live in CA unless you surf.
There really are much more desirable areas to live.
The areas west of the Dakotas are the only areas of this USA that hold any interest to me.

Reactions: Ifallalot

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Is there a point to your question?

Yes.

California was too crowded for me in 1979. Cold water. Fvckin anthill.

California’s the garden of Eden
A paradise to live in or see

Woody Guthrie

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
There's no reason to live in CA unless you surf.
There really are much more desirable areas to live.
The areas west of the Dakotas are the only areas of this USA that hold any interest to me.
I know surfers who live in California and don’t surf in California. They surf in Indo and snowboard Utah. Their rapidly appreciating homes and businesses are in California

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Mountains, deserts, hiking, biking are all available anywhere else in the American West. With a house to go home to that costs half of what it does here, with gas that costs half, with less of a tax burden, and a job that pays less, yes, but not so much less that you don't feel the sting of cost of living

And the downsides aren't just in Southern California where I live now or where I used to live. They're in all of California in every region.

Not year round though. You don't have to remote start your car here because you'll freeze to death while waiting for it to warm up. You don't have to shovel snow. You don't have to worry about your pipes freezing. And so much other bullshit.

We could probably save more in another state but it would be such a shadow of the current existence.

But if you don't partake in the outdoors and the other positives of California, then yeah, I guess it wouldn't make any difference if you lived in Nebraska.

I do understand your mortgage triggering though. It hurts but it's budgeted.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
There's probably a bunch on here- guys that are older or inherited something that their parents owned that's now worth a million solely due to California's insanely inflated real estate market

It's simply not worth it to live here
you should gtfo

• Love
Reactions: FecalFace

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
There's no reason to live in CA unless you surf
I strongly disagree and surprised anyone would think this.

Yes its expensive, and that's a huge downside no doubt. Among others.

But to say the only reason to live there is for surf? Give me a break. I've never had so much opportunity for so many different activities at my fingertips. If you only see the opportunity to surf there you're being lazy, which I am sure you are not.

Reactions: FecalFace