Has anyone here ever lived in a home worth $1,000,000 or more?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
My personal favorite is Lost Hills
Driving through there, I had flashbacks and semi-tripped a little. The hills were these round mounds of uniformly colored dried grasses. It looked like liner art from a psychedelic-influenced band. Land, that one gold color. Sky, that one blue color. Trippy. And I hadn't baked in like 4 whole days!

And unlike Florida, you can get from place to place in a hurry if you so desire. 5 is still the only place I can think of where I've ever gone so fast so far I was setting the cruise above 100. 46, slow as you crest the hill, scan for Johnathan Legal Compliance, confirm absence, apply copious amounts of air and fuel to combustion chamber.

But seriously you guys should all f--k off to the Northern Rockies. Preferably with Wagner Lima, Kook Girls Surf, and the San Clemente pro transplants and homeschoolers in tow. I'm not sure if you've ever fly-fished in the Winter out there, but I did, and standing in one of those streams all day, I promise you, if you thought surfing in Central California was cold, there will be new levels of cannot feel your feet. Like, snowboarding socks, boots, waders, your sh!t is bone dry, and ice fckng cold frozen to the bone. 7-8 month winters are nothing if you're from (checks notes) LA, OC, and SD. It totally gets down into the 40s at night before the usual glorious cloudless 60s (at worse) so you're set for months below freezing and the melt/freeze bladeless ice skating of the shoulder seasons. Balancing on cobblestones and minding your mend is easy when you can't feel sh!t, and going ass over teakettle into one of those streams and hiking out is probably a minor deal.

Mud season is fun good times! Pine beetles are your friends. And don't worry, when your region catches on fire, you won't have the California problem of anyone giving half a f--k about it.

And if you thought there were hot blonde women, hot Latinas, hot Asians, and some epic mixes thereof in West LA, wait until you see the talent in Bozeman, or Casper, or Idaho Falls. Havoc would be stocked - short/wide boars galore!

• Haha
Reactions: Kento

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Bring windshield wiper fluid for the flies.

We'd driven through there enough times, my daughter officially HATES the sight and smell of cows. On the bright side, she won't be going out there picking mushrooms when she's older. Which I might add, next to miniature golf, is Florida's favorite pastime.
I don't recommend that in Florida these days. Odds are, they feed the cows enough citrus to f--k up the pH of the poo. Nobody, and I mean fkn NOBODY, is going to do a damn thing when the rancher shoots you, and if you've ever been in a cow field during an electrical storm at night, it's fkn unnerving when your hair starts standing up, or you hear a bunch of mooing and approaching hoofbeats. Bring bug spray, old shoes, and tell your least favorite friend to climb a tree and wave a fishing pole.

• Sad
Reactions: Kento

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Driving through there, I had flashbacks and semi-tripped a little. The hills were these round mounds of uniformly colored dried grasses. It looked like liner art from a psychedelic-influenced band. Land, that one gold color. Sky, that one blue color. Trippy. And I hadn't baked in like 4 whole days!

And unlike Florida, you can get from place to place in a hurry if you so desire. 5 is still the only place I can think of where I've ever gone so fast so far I was setting the cruise above 100. 46, slow as you crest the hill, scan for Johnathan Legal Compliance, confirm absence, apply copious amounts of air and fuel to combustion chamber.

But seriously you guys should all f--k off to the Northern Rockies. Preferably with Wagner Lima, Kook Girls Surf, and the San Clemente pro transplants and homeschoolers in tow. I'm not sure if you've ever fly-fished in the Winter out there, but I did, and standing in one of those streams all day, I promise you, if you thought surfing in Central California was cold, there will be new levels of cannot feel your feet. Like, snowboarding socks, boots, waders, your sh!t is bone dry, and ice fckng cold frozen to the bone. 7-8 month winters are nothing if you're from (checks notes) LA, OC, and SD. It totally gets down into the 40s at night before the usual glorious cloudless 60s (at worse) so you're set for months below freezing and the melt/freeze bladeless ice skating of the shoulder seasons. Balancing on cobblestones and minding your mend is easy when you can't feel sh!t, and going ass over teakettle into one of those streams and hiking out is probably a minor deal.

Mud season is fun good times! Pine beetles are your friends. And don't worry, when your region catches on fire, you won't have the California problem of anyone giving half a f--k about it.

And if you thought there were hot blonde women, hot Latinas, hot Asians, and some epic mixes thereof in West LA, wait until you see the talent in Bozeman, or Casper, or Idaho Falls. Havoc would be stocked - short/wide boars galore!
I know what you mean about flyfishing in cold weather, still getting after the Stripers and man do the hands get cold. Resorted to a wearing my 5mil instead of leaky waders.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
46, slow as you crest the hill, scan for Johnathan Legal Compliance, confirm absence, apply copious amounts of air and fuel to combustion chamber.
I got a bad speeding ticket in that area.

I don't really notice those towns anymore. Just places to pass toward anywhere east; Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Death Valley, Sedona, New Mex.......

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I don't recommend that in Florida these days. Odds are, they feed the cows enough citrus to f--k up the pH of the poo. Nobody, and I mean fkn NOBODY, is going to do a damn thing when the rancher shoots you, and if you've ever been in a cow field during an electrical storm at night, it's fkn unnerving when your hair starts standing up, or you hear a bunch of mooing and approaching hoofbeats. Bring bug spray, old shoes, and tell your least favorite friend to climb a tree and wave a fishing pole.
I have never met a Floridian to this day that has NOT picked shrooms and gotten chased off by an angry farmer with a shotgun.

At least in Montana, the cows are all over the place so you don't have to worry about that factor. We at least had sense to rinse them off in the sink before consuming. Watching Aurora Borealis (saw it four separate times in six weeks which was f*cking awesome) on shrooms was damn cool.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

Personal record was from downtown SF to Newport in 5 hours flat. That was bad news though. Post-Raider game tailgating for at least a couple hours until cops told us they didn't care if we were drunk or not, we just have to leave. Cruised into city with uncle. Had to drink Bud Lights to sober up enough to drive. Yeah, I don't do that anymore.

The 5 is a dumpster fire these days because there are too many transplants who don't understand the concept of getting their slow ass back in the right lane after passing a truck. 99 is better because Mexicans (legal or illegal) drive a sh*tload better and faster than midwestern white transplants. Plus, it's 3-4 lanes in a lot of places. Instead of spending a stupid amount of money on a bullet train, even Caltrans (the most incompetent entity in the history of human civilization) could have widened the 5 to 4 lanes in each direction. But noooo....

No desire to go fishing in a freezing stream.

Women out there? A Montana 10 is a California -6.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The 5 is a dumpster fire these days because there are too many transplants who don't understand the concept of getting their slow ass back in the right lane after passing a truck
Do you really think there are that many transplants driving through the Central Valley on the 5? Doesn't make sense to me. Almost nobody is moving to California to live in Stockton. I do agree with your cause, although I don't think it's because of transplants.

Californians in general, at least outside of the major urban centers, are some of the biggest left-lane dillydallyers I've ever seen. It's always been an issue around here, and anytime we have "traffic" (in quotes because its still laughable compared to what you guys deal with) it's because of someone, or multiple cars, taking their sweetass time in the left lane. Even before out-of-state transplants started moving here, I saw this all the time on the 101, and it's only gotten worse.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Good point. Although isn't the ratio of year-round residents still sausage heavy? Seems that the visitors would be where the easy pickins would be.
I've always heard ski towns are complete sausage fests, whether it was in snowboard mags or hanging at a local's house in Jackson Hole. Maybe if you can visit LA and namedrop Aspen or Vail that'll get you somewhere, otherwise, it's snow Gumbo.

95/75 in Florida are worse than anything I've seen in California in terms of not GTFO passing lane, and it's not close.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Do you really think there are that many transplants driving through the Central Valley on the 5? Doesn't make sense to me. Almost nobody is moving to California to live in Stockton. I do agree with your cause, although I don't think it's because of transplants.

Californians in general, at least outside of the major urban centers, are some of the biggest left-lane dillydallyers I've ever seen. It's always been an issue around here, and anytime we have "traffic" (in quotes because its still laughable compared to what you guys deal with) it's because of someone, or multiple cars, taking their sweetass time in the left lane. Even before out-of-state transplants started moving here, I saw this all the time on the 101, and it's only gotten worse.
Not saying they're living in the Central Valley. They're driving from LA to SF and vice versa.

In LA/OC, I would say a solid majority of residents are transplants. Aside from their out-of-state license plate holders and collegiate bumper stickers, the #1 way I can tell is when they stop on an on-ramp waiting to merge instead of accelerating to merge with traffic. Epidemic among Texans and New Yorkers. #2 way is when they are making a left turn, when the light turns green, they sit there instead of advancing halfway across the intersection, allowing at least 2-3 cars to turn when given the chance before the light turns red. This staggering level of vehicular incompetence is why they had to make left-turn arrows.

Put me in charge of the enforcement arm of the DMV and the incompetents would be exiled and we can get the population in CA down to a more comfortable 500,000 people.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I've always heard ski towns are complete sausage fests, whether it was in snowboard mags or hanging at a local's house in Jackson Hole. Maybe if you can visit LA and namedrop Aspen or Vail that'll get you somewhere, otherwise, it's snow Gumbo.
That’s always been my understanding too. If there are some hot ski bunnies, they aren’t single for long. Seems true for almost any town that is great for surf or any other outdoor activity, but without actual career track employment opportunities. Dudes are more content hunkering down with a trade or local gubmint job as long as they can surf/ski/etc everyday, while women have more of that itch for social and career advancement. Which is how you end up with bro heavy beach and mountain towns, while the bigger cities are full of frothing female strange.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
That’s always been my understanding too. If there are some hot ski bunnies, they aren’t single for long. Seems true for almost any town that is great for surf or any other outdoor activity, but without actual career track employment opportunities. Dudes are more content hunkering down with a trade or local gubmint job as long as they can surf/ski/etc everyday, while women have more of that itch for social and career advancement. Which is how you end up with bro heavy beach and mountain towns, while the bigger cities are full of frothing female strange.
I used to ski/board a bit with this one guy in Mammoth who apparently was the cocaine kingpin up there. Crazy, reckless skier who got his pass pulled on more one than occasion but cool dude in general. He must have kept that part really low key because I had absolutely no idea. Was good friends with his stepson too. Mind blower when I googled him a while back just to see what he was up to.

By trade job, I figured that's what you meant. He also used to cut trees and shovel snow.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

95/75 in Florida are worse than anything I've seen in California in terms of not GTFO passing lane, and it's not close.
I going to have to beg to differ, had some of my best times living in ski country.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Attending university, I once went went to a sorority function with a gal from Twin Falls, Idaho, just down the road from Idaho Falls, Idaho.

I was stocked at the time.

Wonder where Brooke is now.