Haruwn Wesley?

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
stumbled upon this news story and don't remember anything posted here about his passing
seems like he deserves a mention like big ben.

aloha no Haruwn, your brotherhood also mourns your passing
we all share in that beauty you knew
"only a surfer knows the feeling"

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
It was posted here in one of the norcal big swell threads. Sad loss for sure, and at a spot that is usually most dangerous for the rip and not really the rocks.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I heard about his death during that swell.
By all accounts, he seemed like a cool, private guy.
I saw a little memorial for him at the Point.
I've never really considered that wave all that dangerous. I wonder what went wrong. Really sad.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I heard about his death during that swell.
By all accounts, he seemed like a cool, private guy.
I saw a little memorial for him at the Point.
I've never really considered that wave all that dangerous. I wonder what went wrong. Really sad.
It's not that dangerous really but it would be easy to hit the rocks with your head/face if you're not paying attention. I'm sure you know the spot has one of the trickiest take off zones because of the tide swings at the entrance to the bay. So easy to get sucked out of position. I've seen guys get sucked out and around the point to which there is no easy way to get back to the parking lot side if you get pushed past the breaking waves.

A friend of mine got sucked out his first time out there, after I told him not to surf it just after a high tide. He was not freaked out but embarrassed because someone called the Coast Guard to rescue him. He climbed up on the rocks on the west side of the Fort and stood there trying to figure out how to rock crawl his way back to the other side as the coast guard came out. :roflmao:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1 Didn't know him

2 Have seen him about

3 Have biffed on the inside of Ft Point and felt the rocks with my legs as I got rolled.

4 Two weeks back a friend of mine broke their leash (under the bridge) and had to swim in by more or less swimming in through the whitewater close to the rocks. Someone saved his board from the rocks, hucked it out like a life preserver, another person got it and paddled it over to him and then he was able to paddle back in.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
i went to the alcatraz tour once and the rip current around the island was way worse than haleiwa on a big day....the boat had to stay throttled up just to stay at the dock

.do you guys ever get sucked out to sea on a fast dropping tide? :drowning:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
i went to the alcatraz tour once and the rip current around the island was way worse than haleiwa on a big day....the boat had to stay throttled up just to stay at the dock

.do you guys ever get sucked out to sea on a fast dropping tide? :drowning:
Happens every year, multiple times. See my story above.

1:20 to see SF Bay map with no water

and here, from USGS