Harris and Joe creating "Unity" !!

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I wish bootstraps were enough.
Funny thing about bootstraps, it all depends on your point of view. For example, both of the following statements are somewhat true:

1) Most people of color who become wildly successful bootstrapped it, therefore bootstraps work.
2) Most people of color who are stuck at the bottom never bootstrap their way out, therefore bootstrapping doesn't work.

Most staunch conservatives would go all in on 1) and completely dismiss 2), and most progressives would go all in on 2) and completely dismiss 1), even though both statements are partially true.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004

in may 2020 kaulana pakele of Mana'o Company drowned at makaha beach at age 47
this video he did was posted the following month to help 2020 grads celebrate

Last edited:
Reactions: estreet

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Funny thing about bootstraps, it all depends on your point of view. For example, both of the following statements are somewhat true:

1) Most people of color who become wildly successful bootstrapped it, therefore bootstraps work.
2) Most people of color who are stuck at the bottom never bootstrap their way out, therefore bootstrapping doesn't work.

Most staunch conservatives would go all in on 1) and completely dismiss 2), and most progressives would go all in on 2) and completely dismiss 1), even though both statements are partially true.
So, generalizing about liberals and conservatives is where it's at? Making up sh!t about what they'd think or what they'd say? I've no time for entertaining hypotheticals. The world as it is is vexing enough

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
....didn't wallow in self pity...didn't play the victim...didn't play the blame game...They...weren't idle causing trouble and didn't place their hopes in bouncing a ball around trying for a 1 in a million shot at making a dime playing a stupid game.
I love it when GromsDad says he isn't racist

it's like he thinks we shouldn't believe him when he tells us exactly who he is

fkn hell

what a piece of sh!t

Reactions: enframed

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali

You forgot the third statement that is completely true:

3) It’s harder for people of color to bootstrap (applying for jobs or loans, treatment in medical care, treatment in the justices system, treatment in law enforcement, etc.) than it is for white.

Many conservatives are okay with that. Many liberals are not.

Reactions: sizzld1 and kidfury

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

Many conservatives like me see what you wrote there and think you're the real racist. Constantly dividing people into groups by race is at its core racist. There are people of every race at the economic bottom and it is up to them to produce a better outcome. You can't do it for them and I can't do it for them.

fkn hell

what a piece of sh!t
Inconvenient observations of the things that go on in society that you don't like you simply want to call racist. Worth noting I didn't even specify a race there but based on your own observations you seem to applied those things to a particular race. People of any race can fall into the same traps I mentioned.

3) It’s harder for people of color to bootstrap (applying for jobs or loans, treatment in medical care, treatment in the justices system, treatment in law enforcement, etc.) than it is for white.
Its hard for anyone at the bottom to bootstrap. You think poor white people are gifted loans? You think poor white people are gifted health care? You think poor white people don't end up on the wrong side of the law?

Beyond that, say what you posted there is true, WHAT IS YOUR PROPOSED SOLUTION???? We have laws already in place to make discrimination in healthcare, lending and law enforcement illegal.

You guys still haven't grasped that Martin Luther King's dream was a color blind society. The left wants to put all of the focus on dividing everyone into groups and make particular groups hate one another by focusing on differences rather than commonalities. The left simply exploits division for political power. They've never fixed a damned thing ever. Just look at the plight of minorities in cities and states that democrats have controlled for decade after decade. Tell me what the fuk have they fixed? They aren't even trying to fix anything in those places. They just keep thos places in turmoil because it keeps people voting their way by exploiting racial differences.

Last edited:

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
  • Limiting Beliefs.
  • Fear of Failure.
  • Unwillingness to Change.
  • Procrastination.
  • Holding on To Your Comfort Zone.
vs

Being lynched because you're Black
Being killed because you're trans
Being arrested because you're Hispanic
Being underpaid because you're female
Being degraded because you're Asian

I get it. Having self imposed bullshit vs actual problems

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
  • Limiting Beliefs.
  • Fear of Failure.
  • Unwillingness to Change.
  • Procrastination.
  • Holding on To Your Comfort Zone.
vs

Being lynched because you're Black
Being killed because you're trans
Being arrested because you're Hispanic
Being underpaid because you're female
Being degraded because you're Asian

I get it. Having self imposed bullshit vs actual problems
Off topic. The topic was barriers to people in poverty getting ahead. Nice try.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Off topic. The topic was barriers to people in poverty getting ahead. Nice try.
Being murdered not a barrier to getting ahead? How about poorly staffed and poorly funded schools? Both parents working three jobs?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III

fkn hell

what a piece of sh!t
Yeah, that post made it clear what he thinks of poor black people. Damn. Then he tries to defend himself by saying "but that can happen to anyone, you're the racist for assuming I was referring to a specific group."

So stupid that conservatives hide their racism behind a classism they also don't believe in.

Reactions: kidfury

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Being murdered not a barrier to getting ahead?
What % never make it to adulthood because they are murdered? And of those, how many were killed by law enforcement?

How about poorly staffed and poorly funded schools?
This is a fair point. The property tax model for school funding needs to change.

Both parents working three jobs?
There are probably far more kids in poor neighborhoods being raised by single mothers than there are 2 parent households where both parents have 2-3 jobs.

Please lay off the Mother Jones and NPR victimhood based opinion content, it paints an unrealistic picture of what is actually going on.