Harpers Magazine publishes alt right hate speech treatise, falls on wrong side of history

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Seems a lot of people don't like what you deceitfully call "controversial statements".

In fact, "hundreds of thousands" of people don't like these contraversial statements.

It's almost like it's about social norms or something?

You want to force employers to stop forcing
employees they don't like out?

You want people to just accept bigots and dickheads and say nothing?

That sure sounds like totalitarianism.

What's your end goal here?

Because you are absolutely free to say whatever the fück you want right now.

But like a toddler, you crave acceptance for your dickish behavior.

Not in Western Kultur, sry.
social norms aren’t static

people in Hong Kong are learning this right now

Reactions: Ifallalot

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
It's true, the power structure is changing and with it the social norms.

It seems to be a huge problem for some.

We must preserve our way of life and our KULTUR!
The new normal is lockdown and non consequential internet bickering. That’s what you and your ilk built for America.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017

we’re creating a climate where some issues can’t even be discussed

academics are being fired for publishing studies that show there is not disproportionate police violence against blacks, for example

this is not healthy

these people are not racists— they are trying to have a rational discussion based on facts

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009

academics are being fired for publishing studies that show there is not disproportionate police violence against blacks, for example

this is not healthy

these people are not racists— they are trying to have a rational discussion based on facts
What issues can't be discussed?

Let's discuss them.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006

The problem is that the people who are getting the power these days are filled with anger and hate and are becoming drunk on power, which is of course fueling their anger and hate in a vicious circle. They'll likely become worse than the people they replace. I think the Who had a song about this very thing, decades ago.

• Love

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
The new normal is lockdown and non consequential internet bickering. That’s what you and your ilk built for America.
You are bickering on the internet about other people bickering on the internet and ruining America.

From Mexico.

Classic Karenna.

Reactions: mundus

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
The problem is that the people who are getting the power these days are filled with anger and hate and are becoming drunk on power, which is of course fueling their anger and hate in a vicious circle.
Any idea why they're angry?

No reason?

What comes around goes around.

The best is not to feed the anger.

But some people just can't help themselves.

1594402275717.jpeg

Reactions: Woke AF

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
The people who are losing their minds over this are the ones who need to suppress the discussion by any means necessary.

That's not a discussion.
You demonstrated time and time again that xenophobia, racism and bigotry should have no place in civil discourse.

These are not "contraversial ideas" that deserve a time of day.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
It isn't up to you to decide what I can and cannot hear or read. It's none of your fkg business what others are allowed to say to me in public.

• Love

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
It isn't up to you to decide what I can and cannot hear or read. It's none of your fkg business what others are allowed to say to me in public.
Who is deciding that for you?

There's more dumb sh!t out there, bigotry, hatred, lies and misinformation, than at any point in the history of the world.

You are proving it every time you post a YouTube video is some such.

You can say whatever the fück you want.

You are not free from scrutiny that your words cause.

Sorry for your loss.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Seems a lot of people don't like what you deceitfully call "controversial statements".

In fact, "hundreds of thousands" of people don't like these contraversial statements.

It's almost like it's about social norms or something?
A small minority of people who get offended at everything = / = social norms. That's the squeaky wheel getting their grease. Most people are able to interpret statements for what they are- the actual words. Not the emotional interpretation of them based on the fee fees of the reader.

Below are some examples from the letter of the type of things people are being ostracized for: "Editors are fired for running controversial pieces; books are withdrawn for alleged inauthenticity; journalists are barred from writing on certain topics; professors are investigated for quoting works of literature in class; a researcher is fired for circulating a peer-reviewed academic study; "

If we can't even quote literary works or circulate peer reviewed studies, what is allowed? Notice that there is nothing in that letter about allowing hate speech, or being able to keep your job after being caught on video for dropping an N bomb or telling someone to go back to where you came from.

That is YOUR interpretation of a letter that you never even read. Just like the vocal minority who gets worked up over their own interpretation of a statement instead of the actual statement itself.

You want to force employers to stop forcing
employees they don't like out?
If they don't like them, fine. When you do so for optics and to appease a vocal minority that you don't agree with, who has a false interpretation of the facts that is based on their own emotions, that's BS.

You want people to just accept bigots and dickheads and say nothing?

That sure sounds like totalitarianism.
Where did I say that? People should actually speak up, but if they are going to go attack someones character and livelihood, then it should be in the context of the actual documented facts and words surrounding the event and, not your feelings.

Seriously, where do you come up with this crap?

What's your end goal here?

Because you are absolutely free to say whatever the fück you want right now.

But like a toddler, you crave acceptance for your dickish behavior.

Not in Western Kultur, sry.
So much strawman. Yawn.

• Love

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
You silencing commentary BAMN deprives me of the right to consume that commentary. Which is exactly the reason why you want to do that. You're actually fearful of what happens when people make their own choices. Most likely due to the extent that you hate and mistrust people to the extent that you do.

Their politics notwithstanding, the people signing or agreeing with the pushback of cancel culture have enough faith in their own politics that they're not fearful of the challenge of open discourse. They're not threatened by the prospect of allowing the people to hear and discuss all sides of these arguments and decide for themselves.

That's the difference between even those signatories who share your politics and you.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
[

this is not healthy

Yes, but this tactic is great for controlling costs at contract negotiation time.

I know, I'm a broken record.

But I think it's interesting to consider this angle.

I think the special interest groups will turn on the admins at some point.

I think the covid may take them all down.

It's the thing you never expeted that gets you!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Mistakes will be made.

Over reaction and under reaction are both threats.

I don't feel great about the changes coming.

I see the groups who are asserting making big mistakes.

I want what they want.

But I think they are doing it wrong.

As usual I hope I am wrong.

Both teams are horrible and framing stuff.

I want to vomits