Harpers Magazine publishes alt right hate speech treatise, falls on wrong side of history

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
"Our cultural institutions are facing a moment of trial. Powerful protests for racial and social justice are leading to overdue demands for police reform, along with wider calls for greater equality and inclusion across our society, not least in higher education, journalism, philanthropy, and the arts. But this needed reckoning has also intensified a new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favor of ideological conformity. As we applaud the first development, we also raise our voices against the second."

tldr - this "letter" is signed by well known right wing patsies such as Noam Chomsky, Gloria Steinem, Fareed Zakaria and Dexter Filkins

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Most sensible people would agree with this:

But this needed reckoning has also intensified a new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favor of ideological conformity.

Over reaction and under reaction a both viable threats.

Harpers has some great articles sometimes.

The writing is so good.

I read it and I think, this mother fucker (the person who wrote the article).

They were the kids in creative writing who was in another relm. And they kept on writing.

Reactions: Woke AF

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Also Francis Fukuyama, who was a neocon who consulted for Reagan and has since come to his sense about runaway capitalism.

It's a well written piece that no one should have a beef with, well, unless you think Trump doesn't want to dictate speech.

Reactions: Ifallalot

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
“George Washington was a genuinely great man,” (Tucker) Carlson added. “But to morons like Tammy Duckworth, Washington is just some old white guy who needs to be erased. Let’s tear down his statues and rename our capital city Sharpton or Mandela and let the revolution continue.”

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
“George Washington was a genuinely great man,” (Tucker) Carlson added. “But to morons like Tammy Duckworth, Washington is just some old white guy who needs to be erased. Let’s tear down his statues and rename our capital city Sharpton or Mandela and let the revolution continue.”
Thanks for posting something completely irrelevant to the thread, and for plagiarizing to boot.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Replacing one group of ideologues for another is obviously a bad idea. But labeling practical, apparent solutions to long standing systemic problems as ideological is not the same thing. For example, labeling supporters of Trump as racist is totally defensible because racism is a systemic problem and he promotes it. The piece cannot be disagreed with because it has no examples cited. It’s a launching point only.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Thanks for posting something completely irrelevant to the thread, and for plagiarizing to boot.
How can you plagiarize a quote?
It is completely relevant. Lying and mischaracterization needs to be rigorously exposed.

Join me in denouncing lies and mischaracterizations.

• Haha
Reactions: redrider

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
This piece is neither right nor left. It's not hate speech. Tucker Carlson is hate speech. As I said, there's no reason for anyone to disagree with this letter.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
This piece is neither right nor left. It's not hate speech. Tucker Carlson is hate speech. As I said, there's no reason for anyone to disagree with this letter.
Ok I totally agree with that, aside from you quoting Carlson, who is relevant to this tread because . . . . ?

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Leaving Carlson aside, I agree with the rest of that. And yet, so far two of the signatories on the letter are trying to distance themselves from it as much as possible. I'm guessing this letter will be old news in about 36 hours but I wonder how many more people will seek to disavow their participation beforehand.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
the "me too" movement, I remind my wife and daughter, treading carefully, is not about men, per se, it's not about identifying perpetrators. That would be a "you too" movement. Me Too empowers, and requests of women to say they've been harmed, sexually harmed. Me Too is saying "yes, Ive been sexually exploited, harmed, etc.. but I'm not going to be defined by it." Thus, the movement doesn't have victims. No man can accurately say they're a victim of the Me Too movement, because that's not what the movement is about.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016