Hard Hitting Journalism In The Biden / Harris Era

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
WHOA

but let's try to be optimistic... this *could* be good

maybe people are unplugging? are total numbers up/down/flat?

also...

Fox at least had the sheen of legitimacy

if that demo goes hard OANN, the very absurdity of that particular outlet might shave
off some of the more reasonable folks and lure them back to reasoned journalism in
the medium/long term
people who get their news from cable news networks remind me of 1980s wwf fans

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Third time - what do you want to happen? Treat Biden in the same unfair manner as Trump? What is the optimal level of scrutiny?
Sorry for the delay. Been running around.

That's an odd way to word your question. It seems you're admitting that the media treated Trump unfairly.......am I right? If so we can agree on that part.

Your next part asks if the media should treat Biden in the same unfair and unethical manner. That's a tough one to answer past tense as we both no that the correct answer is to treat everyone fairly and ethically. It would be like the playground bully who sucker punches you and then begs you to be nice to him as you get to your feet so you don't hit him back.

What is the optimal level of scrutiny? Again a tough one given the lack of ethics and integrity the media showed over the past four years. I would submit that the networks have all switched from journalism to full time partisan advocacy. There really is no journalism of any kind being done by any of them at this point. Fox news included. They've all become a parody of bad journalism.

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
I don’t recall who but there was a comedian that had a bit that was some guy complaining that “I’m a loser because my dad is an alcoholic“ and the punchline was “No, your dad’s an alcoholic because you’re a loser”

The party of bootstraps for the poor are endlessly victimizing the hapless “billionaire” that just couldn’t catch a break from the meanies at CNN.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Sorry for the delay. Been running around.

That's an odd way to word your question. It seems you're admitting that the media treated Trump unfairly.......am I right? If so we can agree on that part.

Your next part asks if the media should treat Biden in the same unfair and unethical manner. That's a tough one to answer past tense as we both no that the correct answer is to treat everyone fairly and ethically. It would be like the playground bully who sucker punches you and then begs you to be nice to him as you get to your feet so you don't hit him back.

What is the optimal level of scrutiny? Again a tough one given the lack of ethics and integrity the media showed over the past four years. I would submit that the networks have all switched from journalism to full time partisan advocacy. There really is no journalism of any kind being done by any of them at this point. Fox news included. They've all become a parody of bad journalism.
Why are you only limiting to the last 4 years? When was the last time the media was good? Nixon used the same "enemy" lines. Andrew Jackson hated the media at the same level of Trump, and even Washington and Lincoln had heavy issues with media coverage. This seems like one of those MAGA things when people want to get back to a time that never existed.

But let's get back to specifics. 60 Minutes asked Biden and Trump basically the same policy questions. Biden answered them, and Trump ran out of the interview because the questions weren't nice. The VP candidates got the same treatment too, and Pence didn't have an issue with it. Do you think Trump hurt himself by being so emotional and soft, or was it all the media's fault?

Reactions: afoaf

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I don’t recall who but there was a comedian that had a bit that was some guy complaining that “I’m a loser because my dad is an alcoholic“ and the punchline was “No, your dad’s an alcoholic because you’re a loser”

The party of bootstraps for the poor are endlessly victimizing the hapless “billionaire” that just couldn’t catch a break from the meanies at CNN.
AEE5CAB1-D19C-4A65-9D20-F298614AA219.gif

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Also, Trump is not just any "billionaire", he did it with daddy's money.

There were no boots or straps of any kind involved in his entire miserable life.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Carl is quiet on this egregious example of liberal media bias!

yes, CarlJr (I should really just start typing CJ because its faster) will have a fun time trying to avoid cognitive dissonance with this one.