Happy Romans 1 Month!

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I love erbb bible study. :roflmao:

I'm surprised that all the erbb nut jobs are also god fearing Christians.
10 years catholic school here
6 years an altar boy
we had the parish priests to dinner
my uncle was a priest (until he left to marry my aunt, who had been a nun)
wife and I were pre-Cana host couple
We’re not involved with the Catholic Church any more
but I do find comfort in the death rituals of the Catholic Church.
It’s what I know
I would want to have the traditional wakes and funerals for any of my very close loved ones if they die before me

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The errors of the Catholic church are many, greivous and damnable, to wit, their assertion that you are saved from hell by Christ and synergistic cooperation with the Holy Spirit towards your salvation. I can't see how any of my efforts would meet the requirements of a righteous God and be of any comfort in the face of death. I think we made it to Romans chapter 3 in this thread, so I won't re-hash it.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Legend has it, when they lit the wood, a wind came up and protected him so the executioner had to use a knife.
Protection only went far as saving from fire, not a knife....seems fickle to me.

You misunderstand providence.
1670016201567.png

I suppose if it was part of the deity's plan that he die (at the hands of the executioner as the "legend" goes), maybe it is kinder of the deity to have this fellow die an earthly death faster by knife than slower/more painfull by death by fire. Also, if this was part of a plan, doesn't that sound like fate? Can you have free will in the face of fate? Isn't free will a large part of Christian doctrine?

Still that seems like I am taking a chance trying to know the mind of god or making stuff up that isn't revealed in sanctioned text (or taking a liberal interpretation), and isn't that coming close to heresy?

Have you ever been nailed to a cross
and had thorny branches dug into your skull?
oh my god, it hurts like all holy hell
1 I've not been nailed to a cross, but I have stepped on a nail more than twice (one time after jumping down from a concrete retaining wall in my 30s, and other time when I was a kid and running around a junkyard). The tetanus shot in hip (as a kid) and shoulder (as an adult) rounded out the experience. So while I can't say I know Jesus' pain, I got an inkling.

2 We used to climb holly trees at a family friend's house and have holly berry fights...a fistfull chucked at someone would be a pretend shotgun blast. Those trees were pretty stickery, well, the leaves were. And we'd wade into thickets of blackberries come September, those are awfully thorny. Then there was the time I fell off a fence into a patch of blackberries and tore up myself getting out. Oh, lets not talk about roses, lime and lemon trees, and bougainvillea in the yard. While I can't say I have had these thorns "dug into [my] skull", again, I think I can say I have an inkling of the pain.

Now I am beginning to sound like a blasphemer....thanks for leading me down that path, RG. ;)

Last edited:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
10 years catholic school here
6 years an altar boy
we had the parish priests to dinner
my uncle was a priest (until he left to marry my aunt, who had been a nun)
wife and I were pre-Cana host couple
We’re not involved with the Catholic Church any more
but I do find comfort in the death rituals of the Catholic Church.
It’s what I know
I would want to have the traditional wakes and funerals for any of my very close loved ones if they die before me
All of that is in vain if you don't repent, sigh.

Reactions: Random Guy

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
The errors of the Catholic church are many, greivous and damnable, to wit, their assertion that you are saved from hell by Christ and synergistic cooperation with the Holy Spirit towards your salvation. I can't see how any of my efforts would meet the requirements of a righteous God and be of any comfort in the face of death. I think we made it to Romans chapter 3 in this thread, so I won't re-hash it.
link? Oh never mind! Scratch that!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
When my parents died, I paddled out in front of my house and dumped their ashes while my sisters smoked cigarettes on the shore.

Then we went to the nearby bar and got fucking hammered.

That was our wake.

It worked.

I had their ashes on my hands for a week.

Jul 18, 2018
When my parents died, I paddled out in front of my house and dumped their ashes while my sisters smoked cigarettes on the shore.

Then we went to the nearby bar and got fucking hammered.

That was our wake.

It worked.

I had their ashes on my hands for a week.
That's what I hope to do when I lose my folks.
That said, my wife lost her father in a super messed up/tragic way. She and the family were all feeling much better after having a "proper" funeral at the church.
Whatever works for you but there is something to the old rituals, at least to those who were raised with them.

Reactions: Mr Doof

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Protection only went far as saving from fire, not a knife....seems fickle to me.
He was protected as far as his eternal state is concerned. Its not able to me that the proconsul was unable to even carry out an execution in the manner he wanted.

Thats a partial definition.
Also, if this was part of a plan, doesn't that sound like fate? Can you have free will in the face of fate?
Christians don’t believe in fate.
Isn't free will a large part of Christian doctrine?
We believe free will is bound to sin now:
Still that seems like I am taking a chance trying to know the mind of god or making stuff up that isn't revealed in sanctioned text (or taking a liberal interpretation), and isn't that coming close to heresy?
You can know the mind of God through His works of creation and providence and his revealed Word.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
I still don't get the whole "sacrifice" thing. If you knew you were going to resurrect yourself to live in heaven with yourself for eternity, what's the big deal?

Straight .......Jesus did not merely die so that we could live. That's what soldiers do. Jesus died in your place. He died instead of you .....and me and anyone who believes in him.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
We believe free will is bound to sin now:
1670026152043.png

Free will is bound to sin, like you can never get it off?

I thought baptism washed away this sin (the fall)...either when you did this involuntarily as a babe, or as an adult when you are born 'again'.

This isn't so? But what about #5, the state of glory part? That only happens when your body dies and soul goes to heaven?

I suppose the above interpretation of the Good News is why there are so many flavors of religion.

Last edited: