Happy Romans 1 Month!

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
------------------------------------------------------------------
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

― John Adams
------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuzzy morals abound in the US forever.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Or a stoic
Speaking of stoics, the imperial cult was still in effect during the reign of the famous neo-stoic Marcus Aurelius. Apparently, his stoicism didn't extend to cancelling the requirement for his subjects to worship him as a god. Anyways, his proconsul in Smyrna famously arrested the bishop - Polycarp - for refusing to participate in the imperial cult and declare "Kaiser Kurios" (Ceasar is Lord). The proconsul threatened to burn Polycarp at the stake, to which Polycarp responded, "I'll burn for an hour, you'll burn for an eternity." The proconsul tried to give Polycarp several chances to recant his faith and escape death but he refused. Legend has it, when they lit the wood, a wind came up and protected him so the executioner had to use a knife.

How different the stoics in this story ended-up compared to the Christian. Marcus Aurelius' stoicism probably gave way to weeping and gnashing of teeth almost instantly when he awoke in hell, and he hasn't even served a measurable fraction of his sentence (eternity). Meanwhile, Polycarp is comforted at the feast of Abraham (Matt 8:11) awaiting the Last Day and the resurrection of the dead.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Speaking of stoics, the imperial cult was still in effect during the reign of the famous neo-stoic Marcus Aurelius. Apparently, his stoicism didn't extend to cancelling the requirement for his subjects to worship him as a god. Anyways, his proconsul in Smyrna famously arrested the bishop - Polycarp - for refusing to participate in the imperial cult and declare "Kaiser Kurios" (Ceasar is Lord). The proconsul threatened to burn Polycarp at the stake, to which Polycarp responded, "I'll burn for an hour, you'll burn for an eternity." The proconsul tried to give Polycarp several chances to recant his faith and escape death but he refused. Legend has it, when they lit the wood, a wind came up and protected him so the executioner had to use a knife.

How different the stoics in this story ended-up compared to the Christian. Marcus Aurelius' stoicism probably gave way to weeping and gnashing of teeth almost instantly when he awoke in hell, and he hasn't even served a measurable fraction of his sentence (eternity). Meanwhile, Polycarp is comforted at the feast of Abraham (Matt 8:11) awaiting the Last Day and the resurrection of the dead.
:socrazy:

Reactions: sirfun

sirfun

Duke status
Apr 26, 2008
U.S.A.

1669942688904.png

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

So we keep our teeth in the afterlife? If a Christian man is impotent in life does his erection recover in heaven? Are cocks the same size or do they grow larger?

• Love
Reactions: Woke AF

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
The proconsul tried to give Polycarp several chances to recant his faith and escape death but he refused. Legend has it, when they lit the wood, a wind came up and protected him so the executioner had to use a knife.
That is one fickle deity.

"No worries, I gotcha, I'll save you from fire. What, a knife? Well, did my best."

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
That is one fickle deity.

"No worries, I gotcha, I'll save you from fire. What, a knife? Well, did my best."
You misunderstand providence. Also, this is a variation on what the mob said to Jesus on the cross:
38 At that time two rebels *were being crucified with Him, one on the right and one on the left. 39 And those passing by were speaking abusively to Him, shaking their heads, 40 and saying, “You who are going to destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days, save Yourself! If You are the Son of God, come down from the cross.” 41 In the same way the chief priests also, along with the scribes and elders, were mocking Him and saying, 42 “He saved others; He cannot save Himself! He is the King of Israel; let Him now come down from the cross, and we will believe in Him. 43 He has trusted in God; let God rescue Him now, if He takes pleasure in Him; for He said, ‘I am the Son of God.’” 44 And the rebels who had been crucified with Him were also insulting Him in the same way.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I still don't get the whole "sacrifice" thing. If you knew you were going to resurrect yourself to live in heaven with yourself for eternity, what's the big deal?
Have you ever been nailed to a cross
and had thorny branches dug into your skull?
oh my god, it hurts like all holy hell

It was a sacrific, but temporary in order to save us all
the metaphor is that we too should sacrifice temporarily on earth, in order to have eternal salvation

it’s one of my very favorite stories

Reactions: kidfury