Happy 39th Aruka!

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
More pics. I’m living vicariously through you. That bottom turn looked pro.
I’ve been plucking the ones where I don’t look as goofy as I often do. its Amazing how one pic makes me feel like a rock star, and two pics later in the sequence I learned to surf last month :drowning: :roflmao::shaka:
i won’t rub salt in Arukas birthday thread no mo, but I’ll post a few more on that tropical storm thread. There are some cool “trip shots” too that are worth a share

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
What a beautiful dog! Is that a Corgi? I wish I could have a dog but for now it's just my kill everything that moves cat. He's a pretty good little buddy too even though he killed the dove chicks last night.
Hes a corgi/jack russel. Finn. He's a complete bundle of joy. I also have a cat. She's kind of stuck up and keeps me at paws length.

Last edited:

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Happy Birthday from the world of upside down, and me.

39 is a fine age to be - I remember it vaguely.

You must have been a good boy, cause it's been a stunning winter day down here: good swell, sheet glass all day, and warm sunshine. Good work, grommet!

• Love
Reactions: keenfish and Aruka

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I’m a cat lover too, but we all know: it’s the cats’ world and they just tolerate our presence as we feed them and clean up their scat
I am intrigued by cats - they treat their owners indifferently or badly yet people keep buying them and feeding them. It's like humans have a "battered woman/Stockholm syndrome" towards them. Ernst Junger had one and he was a WWI vet. So did the villain in Inspector Gadget.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway and keenfish

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
It really is a bizarre coexistence. I read somewhere that they were never truly “domesticated” in the sense that dogs and cows etc were…they simply just found existence with human servants to be convenient and comfortable, even and especially if they treat their humans with indifference and utter contempt

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
It really is a bizarre coexistence. I read somewhere that they were never truly “domesticated” in the sense that dogs and cows etc were…they simply just found existence with human servants to be convenient and comfortable, even and especially if they treat their humans with indifference and utter contempt
The ability of Western cats to live in luxury while being indifferent or hostile to people suggests I'm going about life the wrong way.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Happy belated birthday!

I'm only 3 years older than you, but your session reports still inspire me to keep exploring, even when it's windy and small

Reactions: Aruka

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
As a general sort of "I like pets" kinda person, it intrigues me when people announce they do not like a certain type of pet. I mean I get it, but don't fully grok.

See, while I can never see myself owning lizards, turtle bunnies, parrots/birds, horses, sheep, pigs, etc., don't think I would ever say I hate them as pets, or think I couldn't get along with them.

FWIW, seems the right formula for human + pet requires that you take some time to figure out the animal's basic nature and proceed from there.

When it comes to cats, two tricks might help:

1 Know cats are both predator and prey. The prey side of them is what makes them "skittish". The predator side of them is what makes them "loners". Slow and steady movements are best. Oh, they will require a "bush" and/or a "tree" to hide/hunt from and this place needs to be theirs.....so once there, leave them be for the most part.

2 A cat's tail will twist up into a question mark shape when it wants to interact or is open to interaction....not an invitation to charge right in with outstretched hand to its face (which could be mistake for a claw).

Anyway, Bix came to us when Moose when to the great beyond about 20 years ago. Been a stand-out mouser, would sometimes greet me on the sidewalk after work (part of me was sure he just enjoyed sleeping under the neighbor's bushes and woke up because he recognized my footsteps and pretend to greet me...in fact, once Sacha up the street -who has a cat that she ignores- expressed amazement when I stopped by to chat on the way home and Bix popped out the shrubbery and came up to me to rub his face on my legs), and pretty much nightly for the last 10 years very much likes to fall asleep purring on my lap when I am watching TV in the evening. It will be a sad day when he moves on.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I didn't mean to trigger any anti feline sentiments with my attempt at humour. I love cats. They are a lot less needy and demanding than dogs which I greatly appreciate.

Mine is a cold blooded rodent killer, a strong, independant woman that don't-need-no-man but she's a sweetheart when she chooses to be.
20210323_214354.jpg
20190930_161715.jpg
Shes got a bit of a drinking problem but we are working on that.
20181231_220628.jpg